Homemade Fraction Strips

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hipteachergirl, Jan 16, 2007.

1. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jan 16, 2007

Hi all! I know there are many of you out there working with fractions. We are covering them in my Math Methods class. She gave us a tool to make our own fraction strips and I thought I'd pass them along. They are great, cheap resources. I am not really sure how to attach something to this post, but if you would like me to email them to you, send me a private message. I'll also post a pic of them later if you like.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 16, 2007

hipteacher... only moderators can post attachments. If you'll send them to me (I'll PM you my email addy), I'll be happy to post them. :)

4. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

Could I have you send those to me please?? :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 17, 2007

Put thin magnets on the back to use them on your magnetic whiteboards.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 17, 2007

Here are the fraction bars from hipteachergirl... along with the message that came with them. :)

Hi! Here are the documents for the fraction strips. There is one in color and one in B&W. There is also a direction sheet for using the fraction strips. The best way to make these is to print them out on cardstock. The color of cardstock is on the bottom of each strip sheet. Printing them out according to a color scheme like that works best, because then everyone is using the same color and there is no confusion. After printing them out, I laminate them to make them much sturdier. Cut each strip out and place them all in a ziploc bag for easy storage. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Good luck with these!

7. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jan 18, 2007

Thanks clarnet73 for posting those links! I love the idea of using magnet strips to put them on the white board!

8. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

thanks for sharing these!!

These fractions strips are just what I've been looking for! As I looked at them, I decided that I'm going to run these off on sheets of magnetic paper so I can use them on my white board when I'm demonstrating! (That will save me from having to cut and glue magnetic strips on each one!) Thanks soooooooooo much for posting your great find!