Homemade Classroom Game Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by linzteach, Jun 14, 2005.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 14, 2005

Hello Everyone!

I am going to be starting my first year teaching in a 4/5 split class in the fall. To save money, I was hoping to make some homemade games for my classroom over the summer. However, I am having trouble finding and/or coming up with ideas. If you know of any games I could make for fourth and fifth graders I would greatly apprecaite it! Thanks in advance!!

Lindsay

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2005

Every year my 5th graders have to make a board game based on a book they have read. The game cards must tell all the main events of the book (Entered the wardrobe ... move 5 spaces). They design their own boards and decorate them, write up the rules, etc. Then they bring them in and play with each other until everyone has played every game. It is lots of fun.
    Otherwise, we play bingo every week. You just make a list of terms on the board and have them make their own 4 x 4 bingo cards and enter the terms. I usually list more words than they can use to make it more interesting. Then you read the words - or, better yet, read clues to the words. That's what I do to use it for social studies or math review. (Ex: country which sold the U.S. the Lousiana Territory - they would have to cover France). When we play with spelling words, they must spell the winning words correctly or else they don't win.
    You can put a grid of letters on the board and have them play Boggle. Several pairs of dice make for endless numbers of games.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 14, 2005

Why not go to yard sales. You could probably pick up games for the same price it would cost you to make them.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2005

The BANG game
    put their spelling words, or other vocabulary words, on index cards. Write the word BANG on several cards and put them throughout the deck. If they read the word correctly, they get to keep the card. If they draw a BANG, they lose all their saved cards. Whoever has the most cards at the end wins. I've adapted this to all of my grade levels. Its great because the BANG cards put everyone on an equal playing field. I just use letters with my kinders, and I still lose most of the time! ;)

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2005

I have tried making games....but its sooooooooooooooooooooo much easier(for me anyway) to go buy them....get the parts laminated and they are good for life!!

7. Michelleh

Michelleh Guest

Jun 15, 2005

Homemade Games

For teaching money you could laminate the sale paper and have the students plan a meal and find the total cost from the sale paper. You could make a board game with squares with sayings in a couple like go back two spaces, jump one space ahead and so forth. Make multiplication or division cards and when the student answers correctly they can move their game piece. You could make fraction-ominos. This like a card game with fractions in written form, numeric form and picture form. The object of the game is to match fraction-ominos end to end so that their equivalent ends are adjacent to each other. Each player picks seven cards and then tries to play their card at either end, right side up or upside down. If they can't play then they choose another fraction-omino from the pile. For measurement you could have them use a string to measure their wrist, neck and waist in centimeters. For time you could give them a card with items on it that you are going to have for a Friday night dinner. Like Roast turkey=cooking time 3hrs 30min., Baked Potatoes=cooking time 1hour 15 min., corn pudding=cooking time 70 min. coffee=ten minutes, chocolate cake=cooking time 45 min. If the meal is to be served at 7:30 then at what time must you begin cooking each part of the meal? Just a few suggestions. (These all came from a workshop that I attended)

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 18, 2005

Make your own boards for Chutes and LAdders, etc... but in addition to the ladders/chutes (or snakes) spaces, also include a "special" spot every few spaces... we used it for sight word review (land on the space, and get a card... if you read the card correctly, you get to keep it), but you could do it for just about anything... (math problems, vocab review, etc)... so you could win 2 ways... getting to the "finish" space first, or having the most cards at the end.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2005

Draw a baseball diamond on two different poster boards and attach Velcro at each base. Get clip art pics of baseball players online, laminate and put Velcro on back. Make index cards which say 'single' 'double' 'triple' 'home run'. This game can be used for spelling, math, test review...etc. Have a list of questions and divide class into two teams. Each student has a white board on which to write answer to questions (it's important in games that everyone is working- not just the one who is 'up') Call up the first batter from each team- State the question (or spelling word or math problem,etc) The two batters work out answer on individual white boards (as do other students) Give several seconds so everyone has an anwer written down. Call markers down. Have the batters reveal their answers. If the answer is right the batter chooses an index card to indicate how far their player advances on diamond- move Velcro baseball pictyure to appropriate base. You have two diamonds going at once- one for each team. Then choose a random student from each team to reveal his/her answer on whiteboard. If correct they 'steal' a base. Keep track of runs - Play until everyone has had a chance to be 'up'. My class loves this game, we play every Friday for Math Baseball and it requires very little set up and can be used for so many subject areas. (Hope my directions make sense!!) :p

10. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas....I really appreciate it!

11. MDMom

MDMom New Member

Jun 19, 2005

Similar to Math Baseball -- Math football. Make up cards with problems on them of 3 different difficulty levels, worth 1, 5, or 10 yards. Divide your class into teams and give each a mini white board. Draw a football field on your board, and use a football magnet starting on the 50 yard line. The first team to "have the ball" decides what difficulty of question they want to answer -- 1, 5, or 10 yards. Both teams have a mini white board on which to write their official answers, and both teams should work out every problem within some specified time limit. If the team with the ball gets it correct, they move the ball that many yards toward the endzone. If they get it wrong, they don't advance the ball, and the other team has the chance to "intercept" if they have written down the correct answer on their board. In this case, the ball goes to the other team where it is. Just like in football, they have 4 "downs" in which to advance 10 yards. If they don't advance 10 yards in 4 downs, the ball goes to the other team where it is. They continue answering questions as long as they are getting them right and getting first downs until they get a touchdown. Once they get a touchdown, the ball goes to the other team, starting on the 50 yard line.

My son and his friends loved this as a way to practice math facts, but in a classroom, you could use it with virtually any subject. Might be particularly good as a fun way to do a test review.

12. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Website

Here is a website that offers free gameboards to be printed and laminated. You just have to supply the question cards (or maybe have the kids make up game cards at the end of a book or unit of study).

http://208.183.128.3/tutorials/gameboard.htm