homeless people

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2009

I don't give anything on the street.
    One Christmas my son (he was about 12 at the time) was being overly spoiled so I hid the presents and we went down to the soup kitchen and served the homeless. We got to eat at the end of the night, we both like pumpkin pie but at the end of the night it was all gone. Some of the other workers heard my son say "Dad I wanted some pumpkin pie but they (the homeless) needed it more but I wish you had some." I said "that is ok" we continued to eat and discuss what serving was like, my son's attitude changed through the evening, as we were ready to get up the workers came over with 2 pieces of pumpkin pie saying my son had earned it with his selfless attitude, that pie was the most delicious pie I had ever had. When I got home I got his presents out and he had a wonderful Christmas.
    I have served the homeless at other times but this was the one that I remember the most

2. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 18, 2009

I just recently went to Family Dollar and there was this guy outside who claimed to be homeless. He told me he hadn't eaten in 3 days and wanted me to buy him a pack of luncheon meat. I told him I'd see what money was left over.

When I came out, I had a bag with an Oscar Meyer Lunchable, bag of chips, and large soda. I gave it to him and said God Bless.

They say it's always best to give them food. Otherwise, they could use money for booze or drugs or what have you and you'd just be perpetuating the habit.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 18, 2009

About a hundred years ago, when I was going to college, I worked summers at a local diner. (There were no Mc's or BK's in those days.) The diner was near the railroad tracks. Bums would often come to the back door of the diner for a handout. The wanted food, not money. The owner would ask them to work a bit, sweep, empty the garbage, etc., then she would feed them. She never turned away a hungry man. I guess my point is, she helped them maintain their dignaty by having them earn their dinner.

4. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

some of you really pay attention to them and do something. i see a lot of these people downtown and i never give them any change cuz i know they won't use it on "good" things. they mostly like to spend on cigarettes, beers, etc... however, whenever i see charity asking for support, i sometimes would help them.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

I might sound cold, but I don't give anything. I like the suggestions from others who have given granola bars and what not. I actually never thought of that, but I think it's a great idea.

Anyway, I too am "blessed, lucky, a product of hard work". My father busted his butt and worked in one place for 40+ years until the owner closed the plant down. He never complained about work; he never complained about anything. I thank him for the person I am today. I remember as a young child my dad stopped to help a homeless person. He gave him some money and even went so far as giving the guy the number to reach my dad's boss to schedule an interview (the plant was looking to hire someone). Well, the guy never ended up calling. I learned from that situation. In any case, I am not opposed to helping by giving actual food, or helping organizations that reach out to them (I have done neither of those), but there are too many people looking to take advantage of everyone else.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

Exactly! :thumb:

7. GOYANKEES18

GOYANKEES18 Guest

Feb 22, 2009

exactly. my dad's on nypd. he knows how these jerkoffs minds work. they use money they beg off of people on the street or welfare to buy drugs, alcohol, and even weapons off the street and then complain that obama should be president so that they can get even more welfare.

really obama's an idiot if he thinks welfare being upped is going to bring these people up. it's only holding them down because they think they'll be able to mooch off the taxpayers now.

me? i walk right by them. i pay no attention to those homeless losers. there are plenty of shelters they can go to... why don't they go to those shelters? because drugs aren't allowed.

liberals have no street smarts and this is why a democrat shouldn't be president. too soft, only have book smarts and THINKS he's helping poor people out. what an idiot. i grew up in one of the biggest cities in the world and lived in brooklyn until 1999... i've seen more gangs, thugs, mobsters, and whores than any of those liberal cocksuckers who sit in their offices all day then go home to their middle class neighborhood and read books and watch letterman all the time.

while you jerkoffs read books, i was out at 9 years old on the streets of new york city playing stickball, basketball, street hockey, climbing fire escapes up 9 story buildings, playing "manhunt" in alleyways at night.

8. GOYANKEES18

GOYANKEES18 Guest

Feb 22, 2009

and when you turn your back he throws away the fishing pole and calls his drug dealer back up.

you might be teachers, but you really don't have a lick common sense. no street smarts