Homebound instructor?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by georgie4682, Sep 16, 2009.

1. georgie4682

georgie4682 Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

Could someone please explain to me what this job involves. There is a posting for this at the district where I'm subbing and I am a little curious. Thanks!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

In our district the teacher goes around to the kids who are recuperating from illnesses, etc. They plan on returning to school but are out too long for just make-up work. It is not support of regular homeschooled kids...but I imagine it could vary by area.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2009

It depends on how it is done in you district. My son was in the program once for a short time. The actual instruction was done on the telephone (very strange, I know) with about 4 kids all tied in to the line. Then the teacher came to the house about once a week to pick up work. It didn't work out for us, so I don't know how it works in the long run.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 16, 2009

In my district, homebound instruction is for students with medical or emotion issues that impede their ability to attend school in a regular classroom. A certified teacher becomes the homebound teacher of record; however the student's regular teachers are required to gather all work for the homebound instructor and keep and record grades. The homebound instructor is required to meet with the student, present and teach all material and return material to regular classroom teacher. In my district, there is a "pecking" order as to who gets the homebound instructor - first dibs goes to one of the regular classroom teachers, next to most qualified and then finally any certified teacher.

Hope this helps

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 16, 2009

You need to talk to catnfiddle-doesn't she do something like this? Online courses?

7. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I was a homebound instructor last year. As stated above, it is for children who cannot physically or emotionally be in school for a brief period of time. The student receives regular instruction in the home. Most of our students get 5 hours a week. At our district the homebound instructor is responsible for the materials and lessons.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 16, 2009

I did this for a while when I was subbing. I had to collect the work from the school and then bring it to the student's house. I basically had to help them with the work their regular teachers gave. Then, I brought the completed work or tests back to the school. I went to one particular girl's home twice a week for two months. With other students it was only one or two visits.

9. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Both of my parents are homebound instructors for our neighboring district. They basically do what INteacher said, I think. The students that they get are a mix of students that cannot attend school (and regular school hours) because of medical issues or have other special needs. My parents sometimes get the students that are on their last leg with the school district so to speak.....some that are just out of juvi, on drugs, been kicked out of every other program or charter school.
    My parents sometimes teach their students in a central district office, the public library or in severe cases in the student's home. My parents also have to attend their student's IEP meetings and such. I think they do give the students grades and record those. they also modify the teacher's assignments to fit the student's needs.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 17, 2009

I was a full-time homebound teacher one year, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I would have enjoyed continuing the job if they hadn't have had a classroom teacher job open up.

I mostly had short-term students who were injured or ill. They were on homebound for 2-6 weeks. I picked up their assignments from their teachers, went to the student's home, gave instruction, and left the work. I'd pick up work the next visit and take more. I'd return the work to the classroom teacher who graded it and recorded grades. I had pregnant students, students with broken bones, students recovering from surgeries, etc.

I also had some long-term students who were dealing with chronic illnesses--physical or emotional--that prevented them from attending classes in the building. Long-term students were completely my responsibility. I was responsible for all their instruction, assignments, and grades. I did have to work with the teachers since I wasn't familiar with the curriculum for every grade. I'm certified English 7-12, and I was teaching everything from K-12.