Homebound? Anyone experienced in this?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by logicrules, Jul 19, 2007.

1. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I have an interview for a homebound special ed teaching position next week. I have very limited knowledge about how to work with students who have special needs and are homebound. Does anyone on this forum teach homebound special ed students? If you do, would you mind sharing your thoughts?

3. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Each student can be different and have different needs. I spent a year as the homebound teacher for our district. I had a lot of different opportunities that year. I had a student with autism who was afraid of being at school, a student who had had a heart transplant and couldn't come to school because of germs, a student who had went through back surgery (this was just a few weeks), some students who had been expelled from a school for emotionally handicapped students, and students who were in drug rehab for part of the day. In my current assignment, I had the opportunity to wrok afterschool with a student on bedrest because of pregnancy complications.
    My best advise is to be willing to be flexible. Some students could meet me at a separate location and others I had to go to their house. I continued to work with them on what their teacher was teaching them before they went on homebound. For some of them, I graded their work and for others, I turned their work into their teachers for grading.
    You will get closer to students you homebound than students you see in your classroom everyday. Be prepared for that, and all should go well.
    Good luck with the position!

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I tutor a homebound student who would be in my classroom were he able to attend school. Because of that I am able to carry over some of our in-school activities, and adapt them to one person and the home setting. I always show up at his house carrying a TON of stuff--his grandmother laughs at me.

I suspect it varies a lot depending on why the student is homebound, what the needs are, and what age/grade level and how close the student is to doing grade level work. Those are all questions you'll want to ask at your interview.

General thoughts: you need to be sensitive to the parents and their feelings about having someone in their home, thier child's needs, etc. Establishing a good rapport with both the student and whoever is in the house as guardian is key. You also just want to expand the student's world beyond the walls of their house as much as is in your power--so be creative. The student I work with uses a switch to activate certain devices, so I like to have a student at school record a message for him to listen to at home. Things like that can help the student feel a part of things, depending of course on the age and level of your student.

Hope this is a little helpful--good luck on your interview!!
    Bethany

5. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I believe this homebound teaching position I'll be interviewing for is elementary age students. Thank you so much for the insight, guys! I really like the idea of recording a student to play back for the homebound one to hear, making them feel more a part of the group. I can also see how important it would be to maintain a great rapport with the child's guardian or family home with him/her. Looks like a lot of lesson planning strategies are in order, too, depending upon the level the student was on (mainstreamed gen. ed, resource, self-contained,etc.) when they became homebound.

I'll keep you posted. I meet with them on Tuesday, 24th.