Homebirth?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 10, 2010

Saw this article on cnn today. I've always been interested in homebirths. I'm not pregnant, but I will consider a HB if I ever have children. If I don't have a HB I will go to a birthing center. I don't like how hospitals (some, not all!) make women lie in bed strapped to monitors. So many c-sections happen because women are birthing in a way God didn't intend - not moving around to help with contractions, pushing flat on her back, not allowed water or food, etc.

I'm not trying to start a debate, nor am I saying all hospital births are scary and dangerous. It's a personal decision, and I'm wondering if anyone here has had a HB.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I will say where I had our baby...doesn't sound anything like what you are describing. They encourage you to move & all that stuff.

I was at the hospital & chose the one I did because they are known for their NICU... just in case.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

No, I had 2 hospital births. They were both great wonderful experiences because I ended up with 2 great wonderful healthy amazing kids. I know you are not trying to start a debate, but when it comes to childbirth and parenting, people make the decisions that are right for them and their families-everything from family planning, to where to give birth, baby names, feeding, sleeping, dressing...We all do what fits with our family philosophies....Making comments like "women care birthing in a way God didn't intend" is not productive. Such comments only insult and demean other women and mothers who have done what they considered best for their children and families. (For instance, my C-section saved my child) I wish you the best in your family planning.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

:yeahthat:

It's scary enough the first time... so I couldn't imagine not being in a hospital!!! Didn't have a C section, but babe did have to have "help."

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

My friend has had three home births and one in a birthing center. She said that they were wonderful, and she had no complications. Because her most recent pregnancy was considered higher risk, she went to the birthing center. It was very near a hospital but she liked that it was personal.

My friend had a hospital birth and liked it. At her hospital she delivered in a private room, and stayed in the same room for labor, delivery and after. If I could not find a hospital like that, I would look into a birthing center. A home birth would not work for me. My three dogs would be WAY too interested in what was going on...

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

lol, misscelia...my dog might freak out

I couldn't take the pain...well...I'm sure I could if I HAD to...but no way with twins. I was already high risk since week 8. My hospital was awesome. Plus, the NICU was there in case they needed it (which they didn't).

A lot of people on my Catholic forum chose home births, or that is what they strive for. They have awesome experiences...very brave to deal with that pain lol

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

My first choice would probably be home birth. My mom did it, and I've had friends that have done it.

That said, my friend chose less than stellar midwives because that was her only option. I would rather be very comfortable with my midwive/doctor than get my heart set on a home birth.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I never even considered a home birth. For me I wanted to have doctors available immediately 'just in case' anything came up. I'm glad I did because with all the monitoring they could tell that something was going on with my son during labor and encouraged me to push faster. Turns out the cord was wrapped around his neck.

The hospital I gave birth in has it set up that you do it all in the same room, which I really liked and was one of the main reasons why I delivered there.

For me personally, I hate hospitals, but when it came down to what I believed was good for my son and my new family I was willing to do anything. Including stepping in that hospital to give birth.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2010

I HATE hospitals & of course want to avoid them as much as possible, like I'm sure most people do, so by the time I'm pregnant, if a birthing ctr seems good after doing my research, I may give it a try there as well.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I know we had a few choices when it came to hospitals. I chose the one with the best NICU for that "just in case" situation...never happened Praise Lord, but it was that feeling that I was in the right hospital for me & the baby!!! Plus, I LOVED my midwife!!!

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

One of my co workers had a home birth. Definitely not for me. As far as your reasoning goes, it's not true. With my daughter I was able to eat and drink and nothing was "forced" upon me. Yes, you are monitored but that's to keep you safe. Also, as far as "nature" goes, I have never heard of a dr./midwife/hospital forcing a birth before 40 weeks unless there was a medical reason. I had to be induced because my blood pressure was high and after birth, found out my placenta was getting old. Thank God I had her when I did!

Yes, sometimes bad things happen but not all the time. Generalizations are never good and I'm sorry to hear that you think bad of hospitals. They really aren't.

13. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I would not feel safe delivering at home- what if something went very wrong?

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 10, 2010

They way God intended, eh? So God intended maternal mortality rates to be 10% or higher, and infant mortality to be even higher than that? That's what life was like little more than 100 years ago.

While there are some negatives of medical intervention, the inclusion of pregnancy and childbirth in the world of medicine has been an overwhelmingly positive thing. The description of "being strapped down to the bed", is something out of the past. I don't know that it exists anymore, at least not to the "horror story" degree that fanatics try to portray. Do things go wrong? Certainly. Childbirth is not, and has never been, this fairy tale of wonder and awe that some would like to believe. Do we save more women and babies than we ever did in the past? Absolutely. I know many people, including myself and my kids, who would not be here today without that "evil" medical establishment. And no, I'm not exaggerating. My youngest son was born weighing a whopping 504 grams, almost 4 months early. My middle child wasn't much better off, and my oldest was born near term, but not breathing and a heart rate of 30 beats per minute.

Thank God for doctors and hospitals. He gave us the knowledge and skills to save me, my kids, and other women and babies in similar situations. THAT is what God intended.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

I was very happy to be in a hospital.

I had access to an epidural. (Oh, and of course I was going to "try" natural.... until the labor pains started to really get bad. I went into labor with Julia at 8 pm, and she was born at 8:30 am. That epidural was a Godsend!!! ) The staff couldn't have been any more caring.

For Kira's birth, I was very upset-- we had buried my dad exactly 2 weeks prior. Every single doctor and nurse and I'm not sure who else stopped by and asked me if there was anything they could do. They couldn't, but it's reassuring to know they were there.

But the most important reason I can think of to be in a hospital has nothing to do with my own comfort. It's the risk, however slight, that my baby might need emergency medical attention.

Give me those monitors any day if they mean my kids get the help they need. They're not implements of torture. They're how the medical staff knew that all was right with my baby. And how they knew that all was NOT all right with my niece's daughter.

(And, on the subject of God, it could be argued that He gave us the intelligence to develop those monitors to aid all in the safe births of those small babies. I mean, couldn't the same reasoning be used against living in houses --certainly Air Conditioning-- driving in cars, flying in planes, computers, phones, electric lights, vaccinations, appendectomies, surgeries of ALL sorts ...? None of theses things exist in nature.

Which of us can really claim to know the intentions of God???)

Also, as an aside: aside from giving birth to my 2 daughters, I've also had 6 surgeries in 2 years. They were in 2 hospitals other than the one in which I gave birth. I have yet to have a bad hospital experience.

16. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I don't think I could do an intentional homebirth (I have a friend who delivered at home but that was because the baby came too fast! haha). My siblings and I all had some sort of trauma with our births that my mom was very thankful we were in the hospital for and that alone is enough to make me want to be in one to give birth.

You also have to have confidence in your doctors and nurses. I know the ones that will be with me will do everything they can for me to have a normal vaginal birth, but I think in that moment, if you're hearing that this baby you've carried for 9 months has a rapidly decreasing heartrate, all you're going to care about is getting him out safely, even if it means going to C-section.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 10, 2010

Okay, this is a link I found about maternal mortality and medical interference.

There was, in seems, a learning curve. For a time in the early 20th century, maternal mortality did rise as a result of unnecessary interference. We've learned out lessons since then, it would seem.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/1/241S

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

My mom had complications with all three of my younger siblings born from her marriage with my step-dad. I would be too scared of something being wrong and not having access to appropriate medical care to do a home birth.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2010

There is no one right choice for giving birth, any more than there's just one way to learn anything that any of us teaches.

20. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Pisces- You might find the movie The Business of Being Born interesting to watch. If you have Netflix it is available to watch instantly on there. I saw it as part of one of my child development classes, it is made by proponents of home birth and has some interesting points.

21. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

I never considered home birth as an alternative for having my children. First of all, I didn't want to worry about the mess and its' clean up! :) Secondly, there were days when my housekeeping was less than stellar before giving birth and I certainly didn't want my children to make their entrance during one of those days. And, truly, heaven forbid that anyone else see the laundry piled up on the floor. LOL Finally, I was too worried about an emergency situation.

For me, those monitors told the nurses that my oldest did not care for me laboring in any other position other than laying on my back. Her heart rate dropped when I was in any other position including walking to "move things along". I had back labor which (to me) was like a nasty form of torture... regular labor pains, yah, they hurt. Back labor-- like knives stabbing me. I requested to have meds to take the edge off and finally succumbed to an epidural. (I wanted to do everything naturally and as GOD intended-- but the pain got the best of me.) Even with that epi, I continued to have back labor on my right side. After pushing for nearly four hours, the doctor came in and checked me. My daughter was stuck and no amount of coercing her was going to get her through the birth canal. I ended up going through an emergency C-section for her. Thanks to that medical intervention, both my daughter and I are alive. My second child was a scheduled C-section due to the possible risks of having a VBAC as it relating directly to my body.

Birthing options are a personal choice and should be supported no matter what they are. I just hope that in all cases, lives are not put into jeopardy.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2010

I don't think I'd believe anything by reading just ONE article. I'd have to do a lot of research on the subject.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2010

Well said, Dale.

24. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

I never even considered not having drugs for all 3 of my children much less a home birth. For the last one I had morphine before the epidural. I am a baby when it comes to pain so the hospital with lots of pain killers was what I wanted.

25. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

I am 12 weeks pregnant and am going to give birth in the hospital that my OB is affiliated with.

I have a low-pain tolerance, am high risk, and suffer from depression. :) Personally, I think I will be more comfortable in a hospital setting.

One thing I will opt for is the PRIVATE ROOM! It's a small fee, but I think it will be worth it. :)

For sure research about home births -- it might be just what will work for you! :)

26. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I second the person that said the clean up would not be fun. I saw all the loveliness that came with having a child and I couldn't do that to my poor bathtub or mattress or carpet! I went for the hospital thing and it worked out very well. The only bad thing was that the Army hospital I was in was considered an in-room facility only. That means I had the baby with me all the time (and with a husband in Iraq, it was less than ideal) I didn't realize it until after I gave birth though and probably would have opted for a different hospital to give myself a small break.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

We went on the birthing class tour of the rooms & what not. Oh not too bad...well it must have been busy because we got stuck in little rooms!!! Ok I would guess C section stink (never had one), but no pain meds...now come on!! LOL!!! I think I deserved a nice big room!!!

Check out what a private hospital room looks like... we had a semi private room when hubby had surgery... it was like a one big room with cubical & curtains. Not fun when patient next to us SNORED ALL NITE...not dull roar snore ... Train coming through the room!!!

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

My uterus ruptured with the birth of my second daughter; if not for the AF hospital, neither my daughter (just turned 21!) nor I would be here.

29. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

Both of my pregnancies were high risk. Home birth terrified me anyways, so it was never even considered. With both pregnancies I was very ill. If I had been born in a time period without the modern accomodations a hospital provides My husband would be a widower without any children. I am not against home birth or birth centers, I just know that, for me, they were never even the slightest of options.

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

My sister had three babies, no drugs at all through any of them. We joke that she should just keep having them since she's so good at it. Seriously, she'd start labor, and 45 minutes later she'd be done. She almost didn't make it to the hospital with the last one and he was almost 10 pounds! She almost had a home birth on accident!

I do okay with pain, but when I have children I will be picking them up at the airport or at the adoption agency. So, I try not to express my opinion about issues of pregnancy when I don't ever intend to go through that.

31. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 11, 2010

You just opened up a can of worms. ;)

OK... get ready for the collective gasp... I had TWO home births! My first birth was in the hospital. I would never give birth in a hospital again unless there was a medical reason to.

If you'd have asked me about home birth before my first child I'd have had many of the same reactions in this thread. However, I did the research and determined home birth was the best choice.

I have uncomplicated pregnancies and fast, smooth labors. If it weren't for a home birth, I would have given birth to my 2nd daughter in the car. I'll take home over that! I have a competent, experienced midwife that works with an OB in case I need to transfer care. It makes sense.

My midwife said the most common question is about the "mess" - which is funny because there really isn't one.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I can direct you to books, resources, etc.

32. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

I feel the need to clear some things up :lol:

First, I'm not preggers :) For some weird reason I've been interested in homebirths since I was a teen...and I don't even know anyone that's had one!

I'm not scared of hospitals, nor do I distrust them in any way. I think birth is a personal choice, and whether a woman choses a hospital, her bed, the floor, a birthing center, whatever, it's a personal decision...but...I get creeped out (and maybe a little angry) when women choose unassisted births at home.

I was just curious what others had to say. :)

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

I don't get the idea that you did, but I just want to make sure that you didn't think I have anything against homebirths. They're great when they're appropriate, which it is for you.

What I objected to, and strongly, is the idea that "all hospital births are bad".

As several people said, there's no one right way. Moms need to do what's best for them and their babies.

34. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

One of my co-worker's has done two home births with his wife -- it was supposed to be all three, but the first wasn't going so well.

I chose to be at the hospital because of all the possibilities of things going wrong. And I am glad that I did. Without getting too graphic, the first delivery took way too long and involved a lot of tearing. The second was induced (still at 40 weeks) because of my son not responding all that great -- heartbeat dipping rather than speeding up in response to stimulations. That birth involved even more tearing. :( Both times were incredibly painful and required an iv and medication. Both of my children needed monitoring due to blood type incompatibility, resulting in jaundice. And now, both my children and huge and healthy (huge in that they are taller and more developed than typical, not obese). If we had tried at home, I don't think it would have gone very well.

Hospitals have resources to take care of mom and baby, especially if (God forbid) things start going bad. And they can, quickly. William was almost a c-section because they weren't happy with his heartbeat. The only reason he wasn't is that I was already dilated to 4 cm at that point.

Every mom will need to make their own choice. Hospitals are not bad -- in fact, they save MANY moms and MANY babies from the worst.