HOME WORK PACKET

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bolivar09, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Hello
    I'm a new teacher and i was wondering what method you use for homework. I would also like to see sample homework packet so i could have a idea of what to included weekly......

Thanks

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

I have S.C.H.O.O.L folders (like bee books) that go home nightly. The only homework that I put in their folders, that will be routine hw, is a reading log, for 15 minutes of reading nightly, a letter review page, and a counting worksheet. As I go through the year I give various worksheets as supplements, so the parents can see what their children are learning, and I feel like it gives the kiddos that warm fuzzy feeling to have hw like their bigger sibling. But routine, as I said is just the alphabet, counting, and reading.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

I don't do a weekly homework packet, though we are required to give it nightly. They have to have one math thing to do, and one LA/phonics activity. It is not always written, but sometimes just practicing counting/reading/letter sounds, etc. Do you have anyone at your school that you can work with?

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

I send home AR books later in the year and word rings. Other than that, no homework at my school for kinder.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

My son's kinder had a homework schedule. Monday night problem solving journal. Tuesday and Wednesday - leveled reader. Thursday - fluency binder (aka poetry binder)

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

What was the problem solving journal?:confused:

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2009

I don't really do homework. Once and a while I will send something home to be completed with their family (usually something for social studies, such as write and illustrate a responsibility you have at home). We have school-wide reading goals for them to reach monthly, and then when I start guided reading they are expected to re-read the book at home.

Personally, I think Kindergarten is way to young for homework. I understand the whole responsibility thing, but they're 5! (I know some schools require it, and I would just hate that.)

9. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

My son did not have a work packet for kindergarten homework. What he did have though are these types of homework assignments....a reading log (Mom/Dad read books a-z by authors and son illustrates pictures about his favorite part) , Book It program-logging nightly reading, show and tell projects due every Tuesday (Mom/Dad help son make a rocket ship, make a kite, get together a guess it bag game, tell a joke and such and such) and starting in March of the K year my son had leveled readers to read every night as homework. The next day the kids needed to read to their reading buddies.

My daughter will be attending a different school in a different district for kindergarten in a couple of weeks, so I'm curious to see how different the homework is.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

I liked doing monthly calendar homework. You just send home a calendar with different activities for the whole month. Each day, parents put their signature, saying that they did the following activity with their child. I would also have them read each night for 20 minutes. This went towards their pizza hut certificate. I liked this method because it saved a LOT of paper.

http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Homework/monthly_homework.htm
    http://www.mdusd.k12.ca.us/valhalla/koctober_b1.html
    http://www.kinderkorner.com/calendars.html

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 18, 2009