home tutoring

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Angsis, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Angsis

Angsis New Member

Jun 9, 2008

Hi friends
    I'd like to start home tutoring grade 1-6. I want to know which is a better exam to write to increase my marketability-- CBEST or CSET or anyother exam?
    Thanks
    Angsis

3. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I don't understand what you mean-why would you write an exam to home tutor?

On the side-I never tutor in a home (mine or theirs) I always tutor in a public place (ie. the library) as a c.y.a for lawsuits.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

CBEST tests basic skills and CSET-MS tests subject area knowledge, and those are two distinct areas of competence. It's worth pointing out that the policy is that these tests are taken only by people who intend to get a teaching credential. Do you? Do you intend to get one within the next couple of years?

5. Angsis

Angsis New Member

Jun 10, 2008

reply to home tutoring

hello,
    Thanks for yr replies
    Actually i am a trained teacher from another country & here in US I was thinking of doing something from home in the 2-3 hr free time3-5/6.I saw some pple giving tuitions from home so I liked it & thought about trying it.Naturally I also want to improve my odds so thought about taking a license. I am not sure which to give CBESt or CSET or anyother?{since I'm in California}
    I will be taking grade 1-- 6/8 .

Angsis

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2008

Hm. You COULD take the tests, and that would give you a sense of the exam process here... but if you've got teacher training from another country, it might not be entirely necessary. Were you trained in K-8 education or what? If you've got a good background in math, it would make sense to play that up.