Home today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Kira is home sick, with a nasty cough and a bit of a temperature. Normally I would think nothing of it, but I must admit that all the dire reports have me a little more concerned. So I'll keep a closer eye on her than I normally would for a cold.

I just called the doctors office, but it's Wednesday and they're closed. I think I'll call later, just in case flu season has them working extra hours.

Of course, she's sitting at the other computer, happy as a clam, on PBSKids.

In the meantime, I'm planning to sort through all the winter wear-- get gloves and hats and stuff together-- and see what we need in the way of snow pants and boots. I may even do a little Christmas shopping online.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Enjoy your unexpected day off! Hope Kira feels better.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

Hope she feels better! Let us know if you find any good deals online :)

5. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Hope she feels better.

You're really a great mom Alice...to all of us.

Thank you for all your wonderful advice.

Enjoy your day off.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Thanks, Simba and everyone else... how very kind!

The hats and mittens are in the washer, I have a pile of snowpants to go through and a pair I'm eyeballing at amazon.com for Brian ($24.99 for a men's size-- the cheapest I've found so far.)

7. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

I'm home sick today too.

Doctor says I have a virus

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

I'm so sorry bros!

I'm doing laundry and Christmas shopping-- how about you?

I just got each of my kids a comforter and new sheets-- my 9 year old has been BEGGING for a set she saw in an ad, in Walmart of all places!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

I've got only a third of my class out today.

Still can't start much new... either kids have H1N1, or they are worried about getting it. Either way, I can't blame them. It sucks to have to rework your plans though!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2009

Hope she feels better soon!

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I was home Monday. DS woke up with a fever. He had complained of a sore throat Sunday night. Kids are supposed to be fever-free for 24 before going back to school. I called the principal at 6:30 to tell her and she said that I was the 4th call she had so far. While that may not seem like a lot, we only have about 24 teachers in my school.
    I filled the bird feeders, pulled out winter clothes for myself and the kids, cleaned the carpets, and took a nap. By 9:30, he was playing with the cat and have a good time. He magically started feeling worse when his homework came home with his sister.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

just sitting around drinking fluids, feeling dizzy for some reason.

And in a month I will most likely get my yearly asthmatic bronchitis, yay! That should be fun when I start teaching :p

I'd catch up on work due this week/next week/the week after, but I am just too... distractable. I already took a test this morning for my child psych class and that pretty much burned me out (that, and walking to class, then walking to the student center, then walking to my moms car when she came to pick me up)

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

I hope everyone feels better soon!

Alice, I heard on the news your area might get some snow already?!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Nope, not us as far as I know:

"FROM THE LONG ISLAND WEATHER CENTER
    Some showers on the way
    Sun and clouds for the rest of today. Highs 50-54. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with some showers.
    Lows 34-42. Mostly Cloudy for World Series Game 6, A very small chance of a shower. Game time temperature near 50.

Mostly cloudy with some showers on Thursday with highs around 50. Friday will have morning clouds maybe a shower. Mostly sunny and breezy for the afternoon. saturday and Sunday looks sunny with highs in the 50s to around 60.

Water Temperature: 54-58
    Normal High: 59
    Normal Low: 43
    Sunrise: 6:26
    Sunset: 4:46
    Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous 97% of Full"

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

I'm also home today... well, this morning. I got back from NYC late last night with my student after spending three days there with her, and she stayed at my place (her parents are in MN now). We slept in this morning and I'm catching up on to-do's before we head down to her house in time for her Girl Scout meeting. Then I stay with her again tonight. This weekend will be well deserved, although it will only be a refresher before having her for four days and nights next week while her parents are out of town-did I mention we move smack dab in the middle of that babysitting adventure?... I'm earning a few days off, I think. ;)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

I've been busy:
    So far I've:
    - folded 3 loads of laundry, there's another waiting for me
    - thrown in all the hats/mittens/scarves. Washed and dried and all matched up.
    -ordered each of the kids new sheets and bedspreads; Julia saw a set she LOVED at Walmart and Brian is getting too old for the trucks on his.
    - ordered Brian snow pants and snow boots at modells.com. I'm pretty sure the girls will fit into some we already have
    - ordered Brian some T shirts; he keeps wearing the same 3 or 4 and pretty soon they'll start up a collection to buy the poor thing more clothes!
    - Gone through all the snow pants and snow boots. I have a bag to take to the local church drive, I dropped boots and snow pants 2 doors down to Kira's 5 year old friend, and I have another set to bring to my friend at school for her daughter.
    - Fed Kira lunch
    - Helped Kira make a cake, it should be ready in a few minutes.

It's a good thing I'm only home one day; I'm spending some money and most of it isn't even for Christmas!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

Alice-I envy your productivity! I have so many things to do-it must feel wonderful to get those things done!!

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 4, 2009

Wow, productive day Alice! Hope Kira is well enough to be back at school tomorrow.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

More money spent!!!

I just ordered each of the kids a refurbished IPOD Nano @ $99 a the Apple store.

It's not an impulse buy; Peter and I had agreed to get it. I've finally gotten the time to order them. I got Kira a Purple, Julia a Green and Brian a Blue :)

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

For Christmas? They will love them! Refurbished is totally the way to go. That's how I got my digital camera, and it's just as good as if it were brand new!

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

You moms who keep your kids home when they are sick, even a little sick, are to be commended. The swine flu has claimed too many lives here in FL. The latest contracted it while in the hospital, so don't go there.

Alice, good for you for making use of the unexpected free (sort of) time. I ordered one thing online the other night when I couldn't sleep, but I have some gifts already in the closet.

Bros, hope you feel better soon. Hot tea is my cure-all.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2009

I tested positive for H1N1 today. I hate missing school! I'm panicking already about my plans and schedule...

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 4, 2009

I am home sick as well. I have already had H1N1 so its not that. I have been sick almost since the beginning of school. I need to get better because I don't know how much more of this I can take:(

I hope everyone feels better

24. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

Can't have some teas due to caffeine.

Any caffeine affects my heart.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Yep.
    I'm chipping away at those Christmas lists :)

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

There is a pumpkins spice (herbal) tea that is wonderful this time of year. Maybe any time.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Tea always does it for me, too. In fact I just put the kettle on.

But I don't like flavored teas-- plain old Orange Pekoe is what I drink---Lipton, Tetley, Red Rose, whatever.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

Alice, you need to try a nice Oolong.

bros, herbal teas or fruit teas (technically, tisanes) might do for you - Stash has a lovely assortment, though they're hard to come by outside of Oregon. Trader Joe's used to have really good blackberry and raspberry herbal teas, but no more.

I've been a semi-slug since getting up, but the email and texts haven't quit - and most of 'em have been work-related.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Alice--if you have any free time, I have a long list of Christmas gifts to get and lots of chores that just aren't getting done! (These 4x/week soccer tryouts are starting to take their toll!)

30. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

I don't have any of those places near me.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

bros, I got a pretty decent assortment of fruit teas at Wal-Mart. There's an apple spice one that I love!

32. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Another great "med" to have in your cabinets is UMCKA cold care. I got it at the health food store; they come in lozenges and syrup and it's TRUE!!!! You get well right away!!! You're supposed to take it at the first sign of feeling sick (colds). I'm also a sucker for Vitamin C and fresh fruit. :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

Stash isn't a place, it's a producer - if your local grocery store carries vividly colored boxes of tea (each tea in a somewhat different color) that sit upright on the shelf, chances are it's Stash. The raspberry tea's not quite my favorite, but it's pretty good, and fairly widely distributed. Stash also sells online, I think.

34. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

No Wal-Marts near me, closest one is ~45 minutes

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2009

Color coded IPods are a huge clue that you are one smart momma!

My oldest step-daughter always blamed her little sister for the socks left in the living room- until I marked their socks. She can't do that anymore! Hehe!

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Alice~you have definitely been productive today!! I wish I could be that productive when I'm at home with a sick child. I do have one gift bought, dh is taken care because he went out and bought what I was going to get him early.