Home living center

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

How many still have a home living center in your Kindergarten classroom? How often do they get to use it?

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 8, 2014

Centers

I've been teaching K for 5 years and I have never had a home living center. All of my centers are academic. Each year parents look for it and the dress up center and they are quite surprised to see I don't have one.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

I had to remove mine. The amount of time it could be used just wasn't worth the precious space needed in the room. What a shame though. :(

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

I use mine regularly-I just make the activities to match things they are learning. I had paper plates with words on them to match the foods to and I'd get those order pads so they would add up things from the menus. The kids love it!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

Ours were removed about 10 years ago. But other schools in the district have managed to hold on to them so far.

7. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 13, 2014

I use mine quite a bit because the kids love it. I have the last 30 minutes of the day for developmental centers. The home living center is a center I pick frequently. We are full day so we have more time.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

My Superintendant bought Pottery Barn kitchens for the 5 Ks in my school a few years ago..at least $500 per class. Wish she had sPent that much per classroom across grade levels. I don't think our Ks spend all that much time in free choice centers..