Home Hospital teachers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by hope037, Nov 1, 2006.

1. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

Is anyone a home hospital teacher? If so, can you tell me the pros and cons about your job? What is your typical day like?

Thanks in advance.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 2, 2006

I was a full-time home/hospital teacher for a year, and I still occasionally take a student or two in addition to my full-time teaching job.

I really enjoyed my job! In fact, it's one that I would consider doing again. I took the position because my teaching position had been eliminated, and I wanted to stay in the district in a position other than subbing. They offered me the home/hospital job. In additon to my regular pay, I also got mileage. I did everything from one week jobs to year-long positions. I visited each child twice a week for one hour. I sometimes stayed longer if my schedule permitted and they needed the help.

For the short-term jobs I contacted the regular teacher who got things together for me, and I dropped off the completed work when I got it back from the student. For the long-term jobs, I taught everything myself and kept all the grades.

I thought it was interesting getting to see the kids at home and meet the families. I did used to joke that nobody in town ever went homebound . . . it was always the kids way out in the sticks.

I did have an occasional problem where a student would not be home when I'd go for my visit. I kept track and if they missed too many visits I'd report them as truant just like in regular school. Once I had a step-father . . . drunk . . . say all kinds of rude things to me, and I simply got my stuff and left. The guy got in trouble, and the step-daughter was required to meet me at the public library for her instruction.

I mostly got high school and middle school kids, which is my teaching degree. I pretty much got all of the pregnancies. I rocked and fed lots of babies that year!

At the time I was working, there were 8 schools in the district . . . 5 elementary, one intermediate, one middle, and one high. I got to choose my "station", and they called me with jobs there. I chose the middle school because I was comfortable there, and I even ended up teaching one regular class during the day. When I didn't have visits I worked in the office, assisted in classrooms, or just tried to keep myself busy.

4. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

Oh, I assumed that this position was an hourly position and you only got paid per student. So were you a full-time staff member then? With benefits?

I'm wondering if I should apply for this type of position as opposed to wait for a permanent full-time position.

5. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

They have this is my area and the pay is terrible -- $25 per hour + milage. I think that stinks, it's no wonder the jobs go begging!

That is not nearly enough considering the risk of going into someones home and also, what about the possiblity of catching a sickness and bringing it back to your own family?! You could make more as a private tutor and set your own hours up at the library or some other public place.

I don't think I'd do it for all the tea in China. And the encounter w/ the drunk person would have me over the edge. What is the "drunk" tried to do something else ?! Yikes. I'm scared just entertaining the thought!!!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 5, 2006

I've done two different kinds. When I was doing it full time, I got salary pay and benefits same as if I were in the classroom. I also got mileage on top of that.

When I do the ones in addition to my full-time job now, I get $22.50 per hour plus mileage.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2006

A few times, my district has sent emails asking if anyone's interested in teaching at the home or hospital. I've never done it & I probably never will. Not that I think it wouldn't be good or interesting. I just probably would never want to do it.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 7, 2006

Now I only take jobs for my students. I enjoy it, but not enough to deal with somebody else's kids anymore! LOL