Home/Hospital Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Izzy Teach, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 22, 2011

Are there any other home/hospital teachers who frequent this board?

I love my job, but I feel left out of many conversations among teachers because I do not have a traditional teaching job.

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 25, 2011

:welcome:
    I'm not one but I plan to apply in a few months. I know it will come with its own set of issues but I hope and pray the good will greatly outweigh the bad. It's my last hope of using my hard earned teaching degree since I refuse to step back in a traditional classroom. Hopefully some Homebound teachers will chime in & I'd love if you share your experiences and tips for those of us interested in the field.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2011

I've thought about doing it, but in my district, Hospital Homebound are classroom teachers who teach homebound students after school.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 26, 2011

That's how we do it, too. We get $26 an hour when we work homebound.

6. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 26, 2011

I receive a traditional teacher's salary and full teacher benefits. The director of pupil personnel send me referrals. I make my own schedule, seeing each student for 2 one-hour visits per week. (I will stay longer if needed, but when I have a full schedule, I must stick to one hour visits.)

In most cases I am the student's primary instructor. I meet with the teacher only to get a syllabus and materials. All teaching, assignments, and grading are mine.

The alternative school is located in my building. When I do not have students, I work with students at the alternative school. Sometimes there are more students that I can schedule into my week, or the parents must have a time outside the school day. In those cases, there are teachers who take those jobs for $22.50 per hour, plus mileage.

I usually drive a school vehicle. If one is not available, I am reimbursed for mileage in my own vehicle.

Most of my students are long-term students, who are homebound/hospital students for longer than six weeks. I do, however, often take 6-week maternity leaves.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2011

Before I became a teacher, I worked at an inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and teenagers. On the unit there were two classrooms, each staffed with a teacher and a para from the local school district. The teachers and paras were full, regular district employees with regular hours, pay, and benefits. The only difference was that their classrooms were located inside the hospital instead of inside a school.

I think that both the teachers held special ed certifications, but I'm not sure. Their classrooms were like resource rooms, where the patients/students would independently work on whatever work they had. If the schools didn't send work, the teachers would assign sort of generic grade-level work, usually for math or language arts. The teachers would collect all the work and send or fax it to the schools or give it to the social worker.

Overall their gig was a pretty sweet one. They didn't interact with parents ever, to my knowledge, and weren't responsible for test scores. If I had an opportunity to do what they do, I'd jump on it.

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

Do homebound teachers deal with a lot of IEP's or 504 plans? Special education meetings? RTI?

Is there any test score pressure on Homebound teachers?

9. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 27, 2011

Sometimes I have students with an IEP or 504. One of my current students is on homebound due to anxiety related to Asperger's Syndrome. He has an IEP.

All of my students take the regular state-mandated tests, and they are expected to perform to proficiency.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

I would hope the child's emotional & physical well-being will take precedence over test scores (which is what should also be happening in the classroom). If test scores dominate Homebound teaching then I think I'll just have to burn my degree.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

As a general ed teacher I have worked with some homebound teachers before. I do not know how everything works for them. I do know that at the secondary level homebound teachers are little more than couriers. I put assignments in a folder in the office, they pick them up, deliver them to the student and bring work back for me to grade.

The system does not work. I have never received more than 25% of the assignments back. The two times I have sent tests home, at the insistence of the administration and family, the students cheated. One even made photocopies of the test and distributed them to her friends because she knew that the subject cluster uses the same test the following semester.

The homebound teacher cannot be expected to know every subject taught at the secondary level. So she cannot tutor appropriately.

I personally have never seen a student be successful after being designated homebound. That is just too much material that is lost for block scheduled classes.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

I think I received teaching in the hospital once, when I was six. Although I believe it was a rather short session (30 minutes) mostly to make sure I didn't have any regression for the week I was in the hospital (I had rather severe regression issues when I was younger, ESY only put a dent into the summer regression I would have)

13. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

My students who are average to above average entering homebound sessions do not lose ground enough to make a difference in their overall success. The average homebound student is out between 2-6 weeks. Some of the high school students must change their schedules to repeat AP and college courses because they miss too much instruction. They are on a trimester system. I am certified to teach some of those classes, but the work load is more than they can handle when dealing with an illness. It is best to change their schedules.

My certification is double major in 7-12 English and 5-8 math/social studies, and masters in K-12 special education . I passed the Praxis test in the areas of general science and mathematics.

The long-term students are usually dealing with a chronic medical issue, so they are often considerably behind their peers. One of my students this year has been a homebound student at least 3/4 of every year for his whole school career. Twice his mother has removed him from school completely to homeschool, although he gets little to no instruction from her. He has an above average IQ, but more than half the time he will not work. Judging his true ability is difficult due to his emotional issues.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Jobs for teachers of home bound students in my district pay about $40 per hour. The going rate for tutors in my area is $65-70 per hour, so many teachers who tutor in my district don't take on the home bound jobs...new teachers looking for some extra $$ and subs usually end up with those positions.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2011

THIS, EXACTLY. :(