Home economics?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Tobie, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Tobie

Tobie Rookie

Oct 12, 2016

any home economics/FCS teachers?

3. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Oct 21, 2016

I have taken and passed the Praxis for Family and Consumer Sciences. I am doing a career switcher program and will have my provisional license in May. You?

4. Tobie

Tobie Rookie

Oct 22, 2016

I'd be an alternate certification teacher, should they choose to hire me. Originally I wanted biology, because that's what my degree is in, but this job came up and here I am. I think FCS is great- no one can make the arguement that they won't use this stuff in their real lives.

5. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Oct 22, 2016

When will you know? Have you already taken the Praxis? I'm curious how the job came up. That's totally different from Biology!

6. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Oct 22, 2016

I am working on getting my Home Ec secondary supplement right now. I have taught first for 21 years and am so ready for a change. I'll be a third generation Home Economist! I am so excited for the opportunity as a FCS job will be open next year.

7. Tobie

Tobie Rookie

Oct 23, 2016

I took Bio praxis in 2011 when I was applying for grad school. Just found out FCS has a Praxis! I'm going to wait until I'm further along in the process. I should know more in the next two weeks.

I'm not certified in anything so when it came along, I figured why not? I love sewing and actually upholstery is one of my hobbies. I've been around restaurants all my life, so I know a lot about food preparation.

I just really want a career change, and I would love to teach in this district. It's basically my dream job- very rural, very poor and the need is so great. I would absolutely love to go there and try to make a difference.

8. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Oct 23, 2016

How hard is it to be licensed as an FCS teacher?

I love cooking so much, and my bachelor's will be in Math (possibly with a psych/Spanish major to boot). I love teaching and tutoring, but I really wanted to go into FCS but my schools don't have programs for it.

9. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Oct 23, 2016

I would look on your state's teacher credential/license page. For my state, I have to take the CSET Home Ec test and a pedagogical 4 unit class. This is the only requirements because I already have a clear multiple subject credential and am obtaining a single subject certificate.