Home decor...help!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Mar 22, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

In our den that is connected to our kitchen, we have an odd set-up. Our fireplace is off-set by 2 cubby holes. The hole on top is larger than the bottom...I've included a picture to help. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to put in the top cubby.

In the bottom (not pictured) we have a basket that holds firewood, which dwindled because it's cold and we used it up!

On the top, I don't know what to do! My husband's suggestion: Buy another lantern to hang on the other side, and put something in the middle. My thoughts: Buy something heavy (not necessarily in weight, but visually) to put under the lantern; such as a wooden chest or a bowl filled with something.

The previous owners had their TV in there, which doesn't work for us for a number of reasons. Our TV is too large, and the room is too small to comfortably sit in there day after day to watch TV. So it's used as a hang out since it's connected to the kitchen and that works just fine.

ANY suggestions for possible decor are welcome. You will not hurt my feelings! :)

[​IMG]

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

I'm big into the filled bowls. I have three bowls of pinecones around the living room, next to groupings of candles. So I would vote for a bowl or basket of some sort! I even change it up seasonally-for Christmas I put tiny ornaments among the pinecones and for Valentine's day, I put little red nuts in with them.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

How about a small plant or terrarium? Green would look nice.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2011

Yes, I agree, plants are nice. How about having a mirror sized & cut to fit against the back to help make it look more spacious?

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011

How about a small refrigerator? You can keep beer in it.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

How about a framed piece of art or a photo? Or a sculptural element?

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

Green would look good, we actually have a green sofa in there...sounds gross but it's a lighter green and it goes well, haha. The only problem I have with plants are the bugs that come with them...unless we got fake ones, but then fake never looks as good...

Small refrigerator with beer...hmmm, my husband would like a large fridge with beer... in the garage!

So strange that I'm having the hardest time decorating this...when every other spot in the house is coming along just fine!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2011

My first thought was to prop a piece of art in the back...maybe a canvas piece, but also perhaps a decorate charger plate. It's hard to tell what would make sense without the whole room, but I like the nook so good luck. :)

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

JustMe:

Hmmmm, I really like that idea...a piece of art on canvas, unframed...never thought about that. The only thought I have is that it may be too much art for a small room. To the left of the cubby we have 2 10x10 (estimate) pictures, then on an adjacent wall we have 2 12x12 (another guess) pictures.

We've thought about the charger plate...the ones we've liked have all been over $100, and I can't bring myself to spend that on a giant plate...hehe.

Here is a bigger picture...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You think a large canvas would still look good?

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2011

I like the Mirror idea best!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2011

First of all, I love your room! Do you have plans for anything in the space to the right of this cubby? A clock maybe? What you plan on doing (or not doing) will probably influence my opinion. But right now I'm seeing something more round and shapely in the cubby opposed to another boxed shaped. But if you put a large round clock on the wall space, then I wouldn't go for round in the cubby. So much to consider, huh? :)

You've done a great job!

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011

I think I like the mirror idea. Maybe a round one, with a frame. You might find one at Michaels or Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon, or check the Home Decorators catalog--I just got a new one in the mail today.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

Thank you! :) I can't take all of credit, my husband did choose the rug, haha. Ya you know, to the right of the cubby we did envision a clock. I love clocks...but then we were concerned that there may be too much going on.

What you see in the pics is the entire room, when I took them I was standing in the kitchen. In all the den/kitchen are about 300 sq ft.

Hmm maybe a round mirror, or a round reflective charger. If we do put a round clock, maybe a bowl. You're right, there is much to consider.

Mrs.K: Thanks for checking the catalog!

Silver: Thanks for the coupon, I'll check it out. Knowing I only have a few hours gives me anxiety haha.

16. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 23, 2011

So, I actually like it the way it is! I like that there is something in the top right, and bottom left. It's simple and minimalistic, but classy. I might consider replacing the candle holders with something cool and funky from IKEA, but otherwise I don't see it as a out of place!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2011

I like the room & the rug. How about adding splashes of color, such as a red pillow in each chair & something red in one of the cubbies? Maybe a red throw on the sofa & a tall plant on the floor in a red patterned pot.

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 24, 2011

Thanks EdEd :)

Ms.I: I did have a red throw on the couch...I just felt like it was on the verge of Christmas. I agree though, I think a potted plant would look good in the corner...

Thanks for all of the replies, you've given me a lot to think about!