Holy Cow

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

I thought I would go in tonight to get my hair done-icing on the back-to-school make-over. I needed to do my roots, but thought I would go all out. I told my stylist to surprise me. We talked about several ideas, and I tossed out pink. I use to have pink highlights in college, and sometimes wish I had it back. But I didn't think she would take it seriously.

Fast forward three hours. I had her do everything with my facing away from the mirror, as I hate to see myself with wet hair. As she was blow drying my hair, I saw a pink glow in my bangs area. My heart started to beat very fast, and I couldn't believe she had actually done it. All I could think about was how I was going to explain it to my principal. I have no idea how they would take pink hair. Our second grade teacher has a nose ring and is super cool, so I would think they would be ok with pink hair, but you never know and I haven't signed my contract yet.... Major panic.

Then she turned me around. Ah-ha! It was just strawberry blond! The highlights are a light redish pink, but def. not punk pink. She said it looks like Nicole Kidman. Whew. I really like it, although it's a bit short (I have to keep tucking my bangs behind my ear, which I hate). But it def. looks more stylish than my old cut, and it's not pink. So I don't have to explain it away.

Do any of you have bright colors in your hair? Did you ask permission, or just go for it?

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I think that matches your personality. Strawberry blond girls tend to be fun, smart and exciting :) I had red in my hair and I just asked my co-workers who knew the boss better, this was at any job I have ever had, not just school.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

Sounds like a good color. I have not had any color in my hair recently. In college I was an assistant teacher in a Montessori school and I dyed my hair purple. I got a lecture about representing the school and having a good image. At the time I thought the director was nuts, because they were total pot-smoking dead heads!! (The parents did not know that.) But I did dye my hair back to brown and that was the end of that. In college I dyed my hair true RED... like Ronald McDonald. It was in-ter-esting... (after I no longer worked at the Montessori school.)

5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I had a first grade student that had her hair highlighted bright pink! It was at the beginning of the year so I asked her about it. She told me that her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and she wanted to support her mom. She was so mature and courageous. She even took out a picture of her that she had in her back pack to show me of her mother.

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I am not only a teacher but a parent as well. What matters most to me is how well you relate to students and the positive impact you have on them. Your hair style seems fine!

"Then she turned me around. Ah-ha! It was just strawberry blond! The highlights are a light redish pink, but def. not punk pink. She said it looks like Nicole Kidman. Whew. I really like it, although it's a bit short (I have to keep tucking my bangs behind my ear, which I hate). But it def. looks more stylish than my old cut, and it's not pink. So I don't have to explain it away."

7. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

That is so touching! I teach older kids, but sometimes the younger ones surprised you with mature thoughts like that when you least expect them.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

Every summer I dye mine something wild - blue, pink, purple. I haven't tried to wear it to school.

But, many, many years ago when I first started teaching I tried to dye my own hair with red "highlights". It turned out bright purple. I still have the stories the kids wrote about it. I had it for one day until I could go get it fixed.

Kelly :)

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I don't think my principal would like it. I am such a chicken about my hair anyway.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

And here I am trying to get brave enough to go a shade lighter...I've NEVER dyed my hair before. I bought some stuff this summer but chickened out. Now I'm too nervous with school getting ready to start back!!

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

Our student policy includes "no unnatural hair color," students try to see how far they can push it. And, last year, when a girl came in with blue in her hair, nothing was really done about it (she got referred to the office by a teacher). Bizarre, but whatever. So, if a teacher had unnatural hair color, I think our admin would flip out of fear of the student response. Our students are also not allowed to wear their piercings (except ears) and all tattoos are to be covered. This doesn't match my personal philosophy, but I work in a VERY conservative school so I go with the flow. However, I have had students in my classroom with their nose rings and didn't ask them to remove them or put in their spacer and those students go to their next class and get called on it ... It's not that I don't follow the rules, it's more that I have so many other things to attend to in my classroom (learning, engagement, etc) that a nose ring isn't even a blip on my radar ... nose ring? who has a nose ring? oh, ok, back to our lesson.

Each summer I have considered a bright pink stripe in my hair, but I never do it because I know I'd have to return it to blond in August and who knows how that would turn out.

My mom is strawberry blond, she gets compliments on her hair color ALL of the time.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

In my opinion, it's more professional looking to stay close to your own hair color. Subtle highlights are pretty, but save the bright colors for summer fun.

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I don't think I would ask my principal about it but I probably wouldn't go extreme either. Blonde highlights are as crazy as I get, although now that I've found greysssssss, maybe it's time to be more adventurous!

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

If you have virgin hair and are chicken about coloring it, don't try to color it yourself. You should go to a salon that has a professional colorist (believe it or not, someone who does a fantastic job cutting hair may NOT do the best coloring job).

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

I've been colouring mine various shades of auburn for several years. I've never done highlights, but am going to "go for it" next week. I'll be open to whatever they want to do--something a little "funky" would be fun. Whatever I do won't be an issue at school.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

I've never put any colorful highlights in my hair. I did let my stylist talk me into having three different colors (blonde, brown, and a little red) once. It didn't look bad, and the principal never said anything to me because it looked professional but it just wasn't me. I was trying to go back to my natural color of brown, but think that I will go back blonde.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

We have red shades over our lamps in our bedroom, as we laid down to go to bed last night, my husband looked at me and informed me that my hair was totally hot pink in the light. Then he called me Ronald McDonald and fell asleep. What a man I have.

18. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

Oh my! I was such a rebel with my hair in high school & college. My hair started to go gray at 16, so my mom would buy me hair dye and live with the results. I've been brown (my natural), black, polka-dotted blond, red, purple, gold (metallic), blue, and silver (metallic). I also had a modified mohawk, crew cut, mullet, and a rat tail down my back. Now I just stick to my good ole Havanna Brown. :lol:

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

:rofl:

niiiice ;)

I bet it looks great...take a pic and show us!

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I don't. A couple of the teachers in my school have gone really red. A few also have nose rings, and a few others have visible tattoos. We have a relatively young staff and our principals seem to be cool with how we all express ourselves.

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

Picture a 52 year old with spiked blue hair. Yup, that's what I did last year for something that I can't even remember. And the spikes were very long. I was getting my roots done anyway the night before, so the hairdresser and I thought it would be funny to go ahead and jazz it up just for fun.

The looks we got while he was doing it were priceless, but the best was the next day when I went to McD's early in the morning before school. The cashier just burst out laughing. I guess she couldn't help herself.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

awsome!! Its so fun to do something surprising and different. You must have a great stylist that you completely trust..How fun!

Hmmm...you may have inspired highlights in my hair....hmmm...

23. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

My daughter tried many different colors after graduating from high school: pink, blue, and purple. She got many interesting looks and comments.

24. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I have naturally strawberry blonde hair which I add blonde highlights and brown lowlights to regularly. Before school started last week I saw my stylist and also said I wanted something a little more fun. She put almost a maroon color on a few strands! It's darling but a little more "rockstar" than I'm used too. :cool:

The principal complimented me on it and my kids love it. Once it fades I think I'll stick to something more natural- but it's fun while it lasts!

25. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

My hair os currently my natural shade (dark - almost black- brown hair)....I am getting it dyed a pretty auburnish brown and having blonde highlights put in...That is as wild as I will go. :)

26. BookWorm26

BookWorm26 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I am so happy to hear that there are cool teachers out there:D. I think of most teachers to be pretty conservative, which is fine, it's just not me. Since I've been a teacher I always second guess myself whenever it comes to my appearance. I haven't had any highlights, and am scared to get a hair cut that is too out of the norm.

Anyhow, I am a second grade teacher and afraid to have a parent judge me based on how I look. I live in a small community and run into people all the time. What do you guys think...next summer go for the crazy hair or tone it down for the parents/students?

27. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I go dark to light to a weave with red, bleach and black. I keep it all natural colors---not natural for me per se but no blue or purple. Did that in hs and when I worked in a retail store. (I have naturally darkish brown hair although I haven't seen my "natural" color since I was 12 or so...cool mom and dad and a beautician grandma!!)

I'm at a Catholic school but the parents/principal/teachers have never said a word about my ever changing hair. The kids have though...I had light brown and when I went super dark--almost black--w/red highlights, some of my girls were upset and missed my "blonde" hair!! I got long sweepy bangs and one little girl teared up!!:p