Holy cow - the application process

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Dec 30, 2014.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Dec 30, 2014

:help:

So I just sent in my application for a license in NV by reciprocity. I will have to wait a while before they actually look at it (about 2-3 months) but I've been looking at the school districts around the Las Vegas area (mostly Clark County). There are many jobs (over 500) atm that are needing to be filled. Caesar suggested I start applying or at least fill out the application. I had no idea how intimidating the application really is. There are several different pages that need information, including my high school diploma, resume, and short answer questions. I believe I have all of the information that is needed (besides my AR teaching license which will be in the mail sometime in the near future). But the shear magnitude of the work that has to be done frightens me...

A teacher told me the hardest part of teaching is getting a job....Is it truly possible? Or am I just over thinking everything?

Also, this will be my first application/teaching job hunt. So perhaps this is normal...

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 30, 2014

I thought grad school classes were hard until I started student teaching. I thought student teaching was until I started looking for a job. I thought looking for a job was hard until I began my first year teaching. That one took the cake.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2014

Getting a job is definitely not the hardest part of teaching!

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 30, 2014

The application process for districts near me was pretty extensive as well. Just like you said -- lots of documents needed (transcripts, certification, references, cover letters, resume... etc.), short answer questions (which shocked me!!), job history, grades from student teaching, field experience info... a TON of stuff. There were even some questions that bordered on essay questions.

No advice to offer, but yeah. Applying is a very intense process. @_@
    Good luck with your job hunt!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

Just a suggestion - scan everything into your computer, including all those answers to questions, essays, LOR, copies of all certificates, resumes, cover letters to each district you apply to, and transcripts with GPA's, and break down of how many courses/credits you have that might be applied to other endorsements. Once it is all in your computer, and you save future submissions about your philosophy of teaching, or anything else, you will be able to pull a completed application together in a relatively short amount of time, which is a wonderful thing, when you suddenly happen upon a wonderful opportunity. I ordered three copies of my transcripts from the universities I attended. Keep them unopened where you can have them at a moments notice. Try to make sure that your references are current, with email addresses, work and cell phone numbers current, and you will make things go smoother and your future employer will marvel at your organizational skills.

Good luck!

7. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Dec 30, 2014

It is a PAIN, but hopefully most of the districts in the area use the same system, so you can import from other applications and not have to re-do the entire application each time.

Another piece of advice: If there are short answer/essay questions, type them out and save them in a Google Doc. That's one thing that didn't necessarily get imported from other apps back when I was applying, so it's good to have those in a spot where you can quickly copy/paste them.

8. CatfaceMeowmers

Dec 30, 2014

Grad school was tough, student teaching was tough (mostly because of my situation), and I know moving will be tough. I somehow completely forgot about the first year of teaching .___.

Then again, I met one first year teacher who was just as young as I am while I was subbing and she was amazing!

9. CatfaceMeowmers

Dec 30, 2014

Thank you for your amazing advice! I have come to find out that I still need old documents that I always find, look at, then put away. I will definitely scan these items. Especially my transcripts. I have an extra copy of each (undergrad and grad) so that I can at least have copies, as well as the transcript request forms saved on my computer.

My resume is another obstacle that I have been avoiding. I have it completed, but I haven't looked over it in a while.

Thanks again!

10. CatfaceMeowmers

Dec 30, 2014

That's a really good idea! I will definitely keep this in mind!

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

Careful with the reciprocity process, I got my Nevada licence for social studies, but they never did my special education license....been waiting since August.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 31, 2014

Teaching kids with different supports is the hardest part of teaching. Especially if you're the only adult in the room. And the paperwork...

Job hunting WAS pretty hard, I won't lie. I had to spend a ton of money on postage, give myself a lot of time to type up cover letters for each school, cancel sub assignments for job interviews if they won't assign you after school hours. It totally drained me. Now my challenge is keeping the job by doing what I have to do, and it's a lot more than what I thought it would be.

So I wouldn't say getting a job is the hardest. Maintaining the job is. I survived 3 months successfully, though, so I'm pretty sure I can wing the rest of the school year ;)

My advice is just keep applying, even if it kills you. And then prepare to do triple the work at your job (sorry for the scare tactic, but it's true! But you feel so good in the end! I seriously want to see my little munchkins already!!!! <3)