holocaust lesson plan

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by magister, Nov 22, 2009.

1. magister

magister Rookie

Nov 22, 2009

Currently teaching WW2 and looking for an effective holocaust lesson. Not into Anne Frank. I thought I'd show parts of Band of Brothers where they discover a concentration camp.

Anyone have an idea or any lesson about intolerance?

THX

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2009

You might be better off visiting the United States Holocaust Museum website:http://www.ushmm.org/. There are lots of lesson plans, and you can even show video clips of survivors telling their stories. Very powerful.

The Illinois State Board of Education requires us to teach about the Holocaust during seventh or eighth grade, and we do it through language arts in seventh grade. We use Elie Wiesel's Night and spend about three weeks. Then we go to the new Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center on a field trip.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2009

Our eighth grade students read "Daniel's Story" and study the Holocaust in both language arts and history.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 28, 2009

I think those scenes from BOB are a little heavy; though this was a TV miniseries most movies depicting realistic dead people earn an 'NC17' rating or worse.

I distinctly recall my own 7th grade English teacher asking us as a class to go inspect the restrooms for some nebulous project, the girls into the boys' restroom and the boys into the girls' restroom. She then locked the doors behind us for a few minutes, as a real life demonstration of blindly following authority. Debriefing afterward, it was easy to imagine how quickly we could have been gassed. That was a couple decades ago, not quite sure it would fly today, but certainly memorable for me!

6. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Nov 29, 2009

There's also a pretty moving documentary called "The Last Days" that interviews five holocaust survivors, and takes a camera crew with them as they return back to Poland for the first time since they left. It's VERY moving, so be sure to screen it beforehand to make sure it is appropriate for your students.

The Shoah Foundation has hours and hours of interviews with survivors archived and viewable online. They put out a CD years ago narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio and Wynona Ryder that was a great learning tool when studying the holocoust. The whole CD is available online now, at the following website.

http://college.usc.edu/vhi/survivorexhibit/vhfmain.htm

Hope this helps.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2009