Holocaust films?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ron6103, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 21, 2010

I'm starting a unit on the holocaust in my 20th Century History class, and want to use an actual film as opposed to the documentaries I have used in the past. I am considering Schindler's List, but wanted your thoughts on that. Is that movie to intense for high school students (sophomores and juniors generally)? If so, do you have other suggestions?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

Are you looking for a movie that focuses on the Camps or the battles?

4. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

I don't think that schindler's list would be too intense. I was in high school when I saw it.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 21, 2010

The camps for the most part....I will be doing a separate unit on the war itself in the coming weeks.

6. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

the diary of anne frank would be a good one too!

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is AWESOME imo.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

There's a documentary called "Auschwitz: If You Cried, You Died" that we used to show, but I haven't taught that grade level in many years, and I'm not even sure it's still available.. We also showed Schindler's List, and the kids were really moved by it. I haven't seen The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, but the people I know who have seen it (including student) really liked it.

9. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler- it's a recent Hallmark Hall of Fame movie. It's on the lighter side of Holocaust films.

Life is Beautiful-amazing film, accurate but not overly violent, but it is in Italian with subtitles.

I watched Schinder's List in HS but we had to get parental permission. Actually we watched it at a local movie theater that would rent out the space so we could watch in on the big screen even though it was years after the orginal release.

10. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Feb 21, 2010

You might want to check out the One Survivor Remembers Kit from tolerance.org

I have not seen it before nor do I know what is in it, but Teaching Tolerance puts out good educational resources.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

Escape from Sobibor

I just watched this the other day and it dealt with the only successful revolt at a death camp during the holocaust. It's based historically but I wouldn't begin to know how accurately. ~some nudity~

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

If you want your students to understand why the average German may have gone along with the Nazis, I recommend you show Triumph of the Will, a gorgeous, chilling film by Leni Riefenstahl. IMDb describes it thusly:

"Triumph of the Will was commissioned by Hitler in 1934 and directed by Leni Riefenstahl, and covers the events of the Sixth Nuremberg Party Congress. The original intention was to document the early days of the NSDAP, so future generations could look back and see how the Third Reich began. In reality, Triumph of the Will shows historians how the Nazi state drew in the masses through propaganda and also how Adolf Hitler had a unique and terrifying ability to entice crowds to his beliefs by the very power of his words."​

13. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Feb 22, 2010

I also thought The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was a great movie, but I would not play this in a classroom. I was greatly disturbed by it (kind of the point, I know), but I think there are movies that can still convey the tragedy without causing such emotional issues.

I watched Schindler's List in high school, and another one I called "Life is Beautiful" (I think, not exactly sure if that is the title) and both were appropriate.

14. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

I have seen many of the films listed above and would recommend any one of them.

Any World War II veterans in your area that helped liberate a camp? A first hand account by a good speaker is riveting. A gentlemen in my neighborhood helped at one of the camps and he speaks to school groups.

15. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Feb 24, 2010

I haven't seen most of those movies, but I would highly recommend The Pianist as an accurate movie about the Holocaust (without being too graphic).

Re: Escape From Sobibor, I didn't see the movie, but I did read the book (by Richard Rashke, IIRC) and it is accurate--while a few hundred prisoners initially escaped, only around 30 actually survived the war. The author tracked down a large number of them (in countries all over the world) and interviewed them in great depth. I highly recommend this book.

16. magister

magister Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

Band of Brothers (HBO, 2001) has one episode called "Why We Fight." It's about Easy Company's discovery of a concentration camp. They did a great job capturing the emotion of the surprised and confused soldiers. It's pretty grim and has some language but is worth watching.

17. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films#2000s has a nice list. There are some in previous decades too. I didn't even know that the Pianist was based on the Holocaust. I have a VHS of it, but no VHS player. Plus, I'd need permission slips and to check with the school if I really wanted to show it. I think it's rated R.

I've also seen the movie Grey Zone. The acting is so good, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a small Honors-like class, permission slips, and/or are doing extensive studies/projects on the Holocaust. I think it's rated R, and it focuses more on what some Jewish people felt they had to do to their own people to survive rather than upfront on the German perspective of atrocity.

18. DRBenjamin

DRBenjamin Rookie

Mar 1, 2010

I use The Pianist, Jakob the Liar, and Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Jakob the Liar is for my younger classes who can't watch PG13.

19. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 1, 2010

Thanks for the input. I've ultimately settled on Schindler's List. I've created a video guide for them while they watch, and then they will be writing a reflection paper after the film.

It has some graphic scenes, and is rated R, so I sent home permission slips for my students that are under 17. Hopefully it will work out okay...