Hollywood Party

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by MrsFrench, Aug 4, 2006.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

My siblings, husband, and I are throwing my mom a suprise 50th birthday party! We are having a Hollywood theme, giving out Oscars, and giving her the "Half-of-a-Lifetime" acheivement award! We will have food, but mainly just appetizers to snack on. What are some great appetizers to include? What are your favorites?

3. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

Mexican Dip

I make a dip everyone seems to like a lot:

Bottom layer: 1 cup mayo, 1 cup sour cream, 1 or 2 packages of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix

Next: 1 bottle of Thick and smooth taco sauce (Ortega I think),
    can get mild, medium or hot according to taste of party goers

shredded lettuce
    diced tomatoes
    3 cups finely shredded cheese

You can add layers of other stuff if people like: meat, jalapenos, etc.

4. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Too cool! We decided to go with the Hollywood/Movie Star theme for my boss' birthday next week. We are all buying the movie star sunglasses, making a red carpet, and decorating her office.

The appetizer that I like the best are the tortilla roll ups (Texas Crawdads).

1 package of extra large tortillas
    1 can of diced green chilies
    2 8 oz cream cheese
    1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Worcester sauce
    I cup Chopped Green Onions
    1/2 cup of "real" mayo
    1 Jar of your favorite salsa

*I had to edit this recipe today, I made these this weekend and found that I forgot 2 ingredients!

You mix all of these together, spread on a tortilla, then roll up and refrigerate. Then you cut these up so they look like pinwheels and dip them in the salsa. I don't even like peppers or chilies and I eat these things like crazy when I make them!

5. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

You can buy "red carpet" aisle runner at some websites. Oriental Trading has it for pretty cheap. That would be a nice decoration touch.

As for appetizers, you could try to track down some appetizer ideas from an older cookbook.

More modern ideas -- I like veggies and dip, cheese. Hot artichoke dip is good. So is spinach dip. Warehouse stores like BJs tend to carry a lot of appetizer items (think mini puffed pastries, mini eggrolls, etc.) that you can prepare in the oven (which means less work on your part).

You could also serve dishes with Hollywood themes. Like, Shirley Temples. I can't think of anymore real food/beverages, but you could make up your own titles based on movies and such. For instance, you're not serving cheese dip, you're serving "Fargo, Wisconsin Cheese Dip" and you're not serving baby carrots, you're serving "Million Dollar Baby Carrots and Other Vegetables." Don't forget the Bubba Gump Shrimp.

6. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

For the red carpet we are just using thick red wrapping paper. So, that may be an idea if you have little time.

We are also putting our names on gold stars under one big star that says "Adoring Fans". We are also putting a big gold star on her office door that says "Leading Lady" and her name.

There's also a cool game to play that goes along with the theme. If you put famous movie stars/celebrities name's on stars and tape them to each person's back, then try to guess who that person is...it is pretty fun.

Our budget is limited so we can't exaclty do everything we want to, but there are tons of ideas for this party theme.