Holiday Shopping Style

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tasha, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2012

What kind of holiday shopper are you?

Shop all year when you see a great gift
    Start shopping early - how early?
    Start shopping around Thanksgiving (American)
    Last Minute (say 2 weeks before)
    Last second (day or 2 before)

Something else?

I usually shop pretty early a little at a time. I meet a good friend of mine on Monday/Tuesday of Thanksgiving week and we marathon shop all day long and get a lot of it done. Usually by that point I have purchased a few things and have a few things left after that. I have shopped online more since the kids were born and it is a lifesaver, but I enjoy browsing and getting ideas/inspiration.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

I start shopping early. Sometimes as early as August. We've been known to buy things while on vacation at the end of Julyl/first of August for Christmas.

DH came home yesterday with the annual presents of our mothers. We get them collectibles, I get one too. One year we waited almost too late & there were only a few left.

Wrapping is a different story.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 6, 2012

We don't do big presents. We just to fun stocking stuffer kinds of things. I also only exchange presents with my immediate family, which is my mom now. I usually only shop one day, and it's often the day after Thanksgiving.

I usually buy an angel gift through church and through school, and my church also does shoebox ministries for Haiti.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

I've started already. When something is on sale, or I see something that reminds me of someone, I pick it up. During Thanksgiving break, I make a list of things I have and things I want to get people. I usually do Black Friday for things people have asked for (MIL likes canvases, SIL likes a certain lotion, etc.) Last year my sister wanted two things super cheap at JC Penney. By doing Black Friday, I was able to get them both. Otherwise, I would just get one. I like to get mostly done by the time we go back to school after Thanksgiving, then I pick up a few things here and there and wrap at my leisure.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2012

Also, this year we don't get out until 12/21 (a Friday) and Christmas Eve will be that Monday, so it needs to be done well before we get out for break for sure!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 6, 2012

I don't start until term 1 report cards and conferences are over. That is the end of November. Then I feel I can relax and start enjoying the holiday season. I'm not in the mood to do any Christmas shopping until then.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2012

I used to be an early shopper, but the last few years I've been a last-minute one.

I guess I ought to go ahead and start now... once November rolls around, I'll never get the chance.

Ooooh... my best friend is getting these for Christmas: Star Wars Cookie Cutters

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

I start shopping about now. We choose names with my husband's sisters on Labor day, and that gets the ball rolling. My nieces prefer gift cards, so that makes it easy. I start shopping for my hubby and son right about now.
    I want to go out on Black Friday-I have only been out ONCE in my life! But I think it would be fun to experience it!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

If I see something that I think someone will like, then I'll get it whenever I'm out. Most of the time though I shop in Oct/Nov so I'll be starting pretty soon.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

It's such FUN!!

Last year, without the help of an alarm clock, I was wide awake at 3:30 am. So I jumped into clothes and was at Kohl's by 4. The thundering hoards were there when they opened at midnight, so the store was relatively quiet, with lots of employees restocking merchandise. I was probably 4th or 5th on line.

From there it was across the parking lot to Old Navy. Then, on my way to the mall, I passed Walmart. They, too, had opened at midnight, and by 5 am they had employees hanging out in the parking lot taking a break. I stopped in, but basically hate that store so I wasn't there long. I went to the mall, where I had breakfast, then hit Target, Hollister, Aeropostale, Macys, the Disney Store and I forget what else. I was home by about 11 or so.

All morning long, people were cheerful and in the holiday mood. People were chatty and helpful, and it's simply so much FUN. I'm looking forward to it again this year.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 7, 2012

I'm usually a big procrastinator. I partly blame that on the fact that I really want to think of the "perfect" gift and can't just say that I'm going to go out on such and such day and actually find something. Everyone tells me I give awesome presents :). I've absolutely done my shopping on Christmas Eve before. Of course that also means that occasionally I'll happen to see the "perfect thing" and get it in October. I did that with my mom's birthday present this year and had it ready 2 months early.

Another factor was that where I used to live there was literally nowhere to shop. There were some outlet stores about 45-60 minutes away, but this was in the mountains and in the winter you were bound to run into nasty roads on the way, so I rarely went in the winter. The nearest mall was over 2 hours away all the way down the mountains. So I had to wait until I was home for Christmas break, which depending on the school schedule was sometimes right before Christmas. Now that I live somewhere with just as much shopping as at home, I'll at least try to go and look around for things, if they're small. I have to fly home, so that's a factor also.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

It just depends. If I see something, I'll grab it and store it. However, I'm not actively looking. For example, in March I went to a silent auction and bought a painting of the Cleveland Browns vs. Steelers. I bought it and was going to frame it for my dad for his birthday in June. Well I forgot about it so now it's his Christmas gift :D

I go to Oktoberfest every year in Columbus (last weekend of September) and always look at their arts/crafts. Didn't find anything this year but last year I got something for my Mom.

I'll get a secret santa the first week of November and that will really start my shopping fun. I go a little crazy on gifts sometimes so spreading it out helps.

I do tend to try and wait until after Halloween to really start getting into the Christmas spirit!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 7, 2012

I definitely only shop during the month of Dec, but not at the last minute. I only give presents to my parents, BF, & maybe my BF's mother. I'll give my students a treat bag too. There's about 3-4 more people to shop for this year though.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

I usually shop in December. Sometimes I won't start shopping until school gets out for Christmas break.

17. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

During November is when I usually get in the mood and that's when I really start looking for gifts. I also LOVE going out on Black Friday!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

This is what I do most of the time. I really am thinking of trying to talk my family into a secret santa type thing where each of us pick one adult family member to buy for. I really can't afford to buy presents for 8 or 9 people. I definitely will buy something for my nephew who is 4. He is so much fun to shop for!

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 14, 2012

I start Christmas shopping on December 26th (for next Christmas). I have a load of nieces and nephews, brothers, sisters, sisters-in-law, etc. The kids have 4-H Christmas parties, Girl Scout Christmas parties, etc. I make a list of all the people and parties that I need presents for and keep it in my purse. I cruise the clearance racks and when I find something, I buy it, put in in a labeled tote in the basement, and put it on my list so I don't forget.
    I save a ton of money and it isn't hard to keep things organized.

20. TeachingQueen

TeachingQueen Rookie

Nov 14, 2012

I'm definitely somewhere between
    Start shopping around Thanksgiving (American)
    and
    Last Minute (say 2 weeks before)

I usually get ideas for what I'd like to give as a present for certain people throughout the year, but I usually don't end up buying those presents until closer to the holiday.

I've never attempted to shop Black Friday, but I'm thinking this might be the year I try!

21. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Nov 14, 2012

I usually am somewhat last minute (2 weeks or so) but this year I am already almost done! Hooray!