Holiday prep

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Nov 24, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Hows everyone doing on Holiday preparations? Thanksgiving and Hanukkah are this week with Christmas a few short weeks away...what have you already accomplished on your to do list?

Thanksgiving:
    All food shopping done except for bread and salad makings. Totally cleaned house top to bottom today with dh...it looks great! Got out table linens, decorated main living spaces with autumnal candles, ceramic pumpkins and gourds, silk fall leaves and garlands.

Christmas/Hanukkah- I'm a Christmas girl, but my nieces celebrate both...I also plan for classroom tradition sharing.
    Bought dh a gift already, making list for sons and DIL, bought MIL and DH's aunts gifts. We exchange names in my family...I'll find out who I've got this week. Family photo for Christmas cards will be taken on Thanksgiving.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

We had our Thanksgiving in October, but with Lauren coming home this week on her break, we'll do a mini version with just the 4 of us; it's Alex's birthday this week, so he'll come home next weekend. I got a bunch of cleaning done today, but it was cut short when I tweaked by back while washing the kitchen floor.

Lauren and I will get started on the decorating this week when she's home; the tree won't go up for a couple of weeks yet. I've put a good dent into my Christmas shopping. I'm still waiting for lists from the kids, but I've picked up some small things for both of them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Thanksgiving-- I'm all stocked up. Took out the holiday linens. I still have to get the folding table out of the garage.

Christmas: I'm about half done-- maybe more-- with my shopping.

Decorations will go up next week, after Thanksgiving. Yes, it would have been MUCH warmer to put them up last weekend, but I don't like to do it until after Thanksgiving.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 24, 2013

I grocery shopped last Monday...went to 2 stores. It's pretty simple for me. The BF & I will have a nice, cozy dinner just the two of us. We'll cook & enjoy our day!

I also ordered 2 pies from Marie Callender's, which I'll pick up the day before TG.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 24, 2013

I have to make fruit salad, a pumpkin pie, and rolls. I'll do that Wednesday.

Everything else is ready.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 24, 2013

I have pies and homemade cranberry sauce to make tomorrow evening. I also have to clean tomorrow evening - well at least where my guests will see. All of the groceries are bought for the dinner and the guests. Unfortunately, I was sick for the last few days with the crud. Feeling much better now and thankful that it the crud didn't come tomorrow.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

I somehow flew under the radar this year. My Thanksgiving prep is to show up and eat.
    I started a bit of Christmas shopping a couple of weeks ago. Today after church I went to Target and mostly got some things for my minis. I'm doing Elf on the Shelf for the first time this year and I'm excited to get it going. I'm still holding out until Black Friday before I started the rest of my Christmas shopping.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 24, 2013

This weekend I made desserts for Thanksgiving. We're going to my Mom's so I packed today and put the tree up, it's artificial. No decorations on it until after we get back. Don't want the cat to play with the ornaments while we are gone. We're taking presents with us so those are wrapped, except for 1. I'm giving my niece a couple of books and I'm sure I have a couple of new ones that she would like at school.

I just need to finish shopping for DH & DD. DS is done. I'll probably go shopping the weekend after Thanksgiving for DH & finish up DD. Then I'll then wrap at night.

I want to do some holiday baking also. I haven't planned my Christmas menu yet.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Forgot in my OP...got a date for our staff cookie exchange! This is our third year. We do it in the morning before school starts. So fun!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2013

Our daughter is doing Thanksgiving for the first time (with quite a bit of help from Mom and Dad). I've ordered a fresh turkey breast, and we'll bring some of the fixings and implements up there with us--hers is a tiny apartment kitchen, and her selection of pots and pans is limited.

I haven't even thought much about Christmas, but our family is tiny at this point, so it's really just picking a few things for her and something appropriate for her boyfriend and a few close friends. DH and I tend to wait until the sales, and then take ourselves shopping, though I'll find something for him for under the tree. I had hoped to get the decorations out today, but that didn't happen--we moved in here two months ago, and we're still working on organizing the last couple of rooms. I want to have my colleagues over for tea and cookies one afternoon so they can see our new place!

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

Thanksgiving plans are set. It took BF & I a while to figure out where we'll be celebrating, but it looks like we're splitting the day between both of our families.

I am planning to take a personal day in early December to get my shopping done. It's hard for me to get it done otherwise, unless I want to do it all online and put it on my credit card, which I'd prefer not too. I like walking around the mall and shopping around for my loved ones-I usually end up with things I never thought to get.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 24, 2013

Thanksgiving plans are set. I planned a couple activities. That's my contribution :D

Christmas is getting there. Shopping is mostly done except for BF and my secret Santa. I am hosting a party this year for the first time. I am also organizing Christmas Olympics with the fam.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2013

We are leaving right after school tomorrow; I have not packed yet. I think I've partially put it off because I'm not ready for the COLD weather I'll be facing up north! ;)

As for the meals, I'll just help his mom however I can, and I'm only in charge of the cranberry sauce and a vegetable dish at my parents on Saturday. I still need to decide what that will be, though!

And then I'll worry about Christmas when I get back...too much wedding planning stuff going on with my fiance here the last 10 days to also be planning Christmas.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 25, 2013

My GS will cook a turkey dinner on Thursday for us. Then we will have the whole family here on Friday for a ham dinner. I am going food shopping on Monday. I have done some big Christmas shopping on line. I ordered Black Friday sale items so they will be delivered to my door. I also have crafts for the grandkids and great grandkids to do on Thanksgiving. Each year I get stuff for them to make decorations or gifts. Keeps them busy, as Grandma's house is boring.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2013

I have my Xmas lights hung outside. Shopping for turkey day is done. Xmas shopping continues!

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2013

OMG. Wednesday is the day in my house.

Shopping is done except for crackers and smack.

House getting cleaned Wednesday... no point doing it this weekend with tile floors and two animals.

Gotta pick the turkey up from Dad tomorrow. Some baking has already been done.

Christmas? HA. I'm going to run and hide before Alice gets ahold of me :)

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2013

I do not celebrate Thanksgiving, so nothing to do there.

We will spend Christmas with my parents and my sister's family. We don't give more than one gift per person so shopping doesn't take long.