Holiday party with parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 29, 2008

I'm thinking about having a holiday celebration in Dec. and inviting the parents. I need simple ideas for foods and activities (maybe 30 minutes total at the end of the day).

I was thinking maybe making hot chocolate, Russian tea, some kind of cookies, and having a "gingerbread house" making station (using graham crackers and icing). I might also have a station to make bell necklaces/bracelets with jingle bells and pipe cleaners. I would want to let my kids do most of the cooking/preparing the day before/day of. I also have a lot of Hispanic kids. Are there traditional Hispanic foods for the holidays? Any other ideas?

3. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Nov 29, 2008

We have a Christmas Program and Party. We invite the parents and have them bring a treat to share. It is great because usually the kids have had a part in preparing the treat.

We do not do crafts: one reason is because we are a half day program but the other reason is because when our parents come they bring younger siblings and it was difficult to keep them away from crafts that were not suitable for them. Parents watch their own kids but they are also mingling with the other parents and not paying a whole lot of attention to their kids.

Sounds like fun though.

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 29, 2008

We can't eat foods prepared in homes; something about USDA regulations. I would love to have the families prepare--I've had some yummy Mexican foods on home visits, but I'm stretching the rules by letting the kids cook at school. I hadn't thought about the younger siblings--yikes, bells and toddlers. I think we could still do the gingerbread houses, but I'm thinking we might have the walls built and just do the decorations at the party.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 29, 2008

What she said only 2X louder!!! The parents bring the younger siblings and don't supervise them well, it can become a real safety issue. If we invite parents into our classrooms we always say something in our newsletter like "Parents are welcome to attend our party, but alternate arrangements need to be made for younger siblings due to safety issues".

If we have a performance in the gym or on the stage in the cafeteria then everybody is welcome to attend.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2008

Yum Yum...tamales are traditionally eaten during the holidays!! But, you'd do better to purchase them already made...they are alot of work!
    Also, Mexican hot chocolate is delicious! And there are polvorones...Mexican sugar cookies.

I love doing a gingerbread cookie decorating with my students...they love it!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 30, 2008

mexican wedding cookies???