Holiday movies for 7th grade

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

So, I'm shocked that we're allowed to do this... I teach 7th grade English, and we're allowed to show a movie on the last day before the holidays. This is an exam make-up day (exams are for the 2 days before it). Some kids probably won't even come, so that's why it's not a big deal. It's not like we could start stuff for 3rd quarter then continue when they come back two weeks later! Any ideas? I definitely want to show Charlie Brown because that's just timeless. However, it's less than 30 minutes and we have 95 min. classes. Any suggestions on something not-so-cheesy? I don't mind buying the movies since I'll be able to use them every year.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 6, 2006

what about the movie with the guy from TOOL TIME... the movie is called santa Clause

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2006

I would go with Miracle on 34th Street-- the original (w/ Natalee Wood)

How about March of the Wooden Soldiers?
    Elf?
    A Christmas Story?

My all time favorite is White Christmas, but I'm not sure they would love a musical.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 6, 2006

My seventh graders loved "Miracle at Moreaux." It's based on a true story, and from the book "Twenty and Ten." Awesome.

It has both Christmas and Hannukah, and explains all about Hannukah's background.

6. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Dec 6, 2006

What about "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with Jim Carrey? It's PG

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2006

I've shown all the classic cartoons in one long class . . . Charlie Brown, Grinch, Rudolph, and Frosty. I also like showing A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Carol--George C. Scott or Muppet versions.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2006

You also should check I know at our school if a movie is above G or didn't come through the movies for school you have to have permission to show it!!!

Polar Express

9. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 9, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia

10. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 9, 2006

Thanks for the ideas! I just ordered A Muppet Christmas Carol since it's rated G. I think, even though it's for little kids, it'll be funny for seventh graders. Also, it's close to an hour and a half, and we have 95 min. classes. Thanks for the suggestions because they really helped!

11. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I am planning on reading the Polar Express as a read aloud and then showing the movie to my 7th grade lang. arts. Or, I am leaning more toward my favorite christmas movie of all times: "A Christmas Story", this is such a great movie.

"Ralphy shot his eye out!!":p

12. cdale

cdale Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Grinch

I am planning on showing the Grinch and am working on creating a characterization worksheet (characterization is one of the California state standards). They will have to draw a picture of the character, describe the character at the begining and end of the movie, and use a quote to back up each of their descriptions. I may do one or two characters.

Maybe too much work for some people, but if they aren't doing something they will likely talk instead of watch the movie. I also have students for two periods straight (I teach 7th CORE).

13. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

I am showing The Grinch (Jim Carry) and Jingle All the Way, mostly because I only have VHS (can't hook up a DVD) and that's all I can find on VHS anymore! I have also shown the Muppet Christmas Carol to grade 7 and they have enjoyed it.

14. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 15, 2006

I really don't like "A Christmas Story" because of that annoying boy! lol... Also, The Grinch is a little suggestive, isn't it? Especially the comment with "hoe" meaning "ho". I don't know why it's rated PG. I think I'll be safe with the Muppets. I also planned an activity for us to make cards for the military. I'm sure it'll work out well. My kids know that if they even TRY to talk, that I will stop the movie and do work. They know I mean business and that they should be appreciative of watching a movie.

15. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

The Grinch (the film, not the cartoon) is EXTREMELY suggestive. At one point at a Christmas party, some of the characters are pulling keys out of a jar--- which I have been told is a game done at SWINGERS parties.. the women pull a key set out of the jar and go home with whichever man owns those keys.. shocking to me@!:wow: (probably not anything a teenager would catch, though)

16. Candmmat

Candmmat Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

I just finished discussing "Drama" with my 7th graders. We read A Christmas Carol for the Drama theme. We will test out on Tues. and then I will play "A Christmas Carol" movie for them from Wed to Fri. Friday is a 1/2 day

17. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen "The Grinch" and I didn't realize that it had those suggestive references in it. I think I'll rethink that one!

18. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 18, 2006

Glad we could save you some drama! I've never seen it because I never cared to. But, everyone I know who saw it told me about the "dirty little ho" comment. I didn't know about the swingers thing in the movie, but I have heard of that happening at swingers parties. YUCK!

So, I have The Muppets Christmas Carol, The Grinch (the cartoon), and Snoopy.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2006

I've also shown A Christmas Carol and the Grinch (cartoon) and had them compare Scrooge and the Grinch. (We can't show movies unrelated to content, so I had to relate.) LOL

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

Prancer is one of my favorites.

21. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

The movies went well! They made cards for the military while they watched it. So, yes, 7th graders do like "A Muppet Christmas Carol," Charlie Brown, and the Grinch cartoon! YAY! :) All is right with the world! lol

I mailed off the military cards today to a colleagues nephews to hand out to his troops. The kids were so excited to do it, and I was glad that I found this wonderful and thoughtful idea.

I feel good! Warm fuzzies!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2006

I did that during the first Gulf War. A priest from a friend's parish was a chaplain serving in the Gulf. I sent him a packet of about 200 letters from my homeroom and classes.

I got back the sweetest reply. He spoke about how things were there, how the recepiants really appreciated the cards, and so on. I still have the card upstairs somewhere; it's a keeper!

23. Debrajean

Debrajean New Member

Dec 26, 2006

I teach 8th grade English and I showed "It's A Wonderful Life". I pulled information off of the internet and created a reading sheet that took them about 15 minutes to read. There was also a series of questions that they had to answer at the end of the movie. Out of 110 students...only 5 had ever seen it. There were only a handful that said they did not like it. The rest really enjoyed it. One of my roughest, toughest girls got up at the end of the movie and said she loved. She then explained to the class all of the themes of the movie. It was remarkable. This was not a movie that students will see at home...it is a classic that they need to be introduced to and this will be a tradition in my classroom.