Holiday Homework

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by cutNglue, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2011

I agree. I usually do not send anything extra home. I am in a combination class this year and I found out the week before the holiday the new grade for me sends home part of a report over the holidays. A number of the older grade parents were worried my students would not get the opportunity to do the special things that the grade does. Because of this I felt like I needed to set the time as the other teachers did. I didn't like it; but most of the children were pretty enthused about doing it.

2. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 25, 2011

They will all do it the night before it is due anyway.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2011

Not in my house.

Julia will do hers today, when she gets home from the sleepover with her cousins.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2011

I would not assign homework during any sort of break. I don't give regular homework as is.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 26, 2011

We don't give homework over breaks. As a special ed teacher, I have to watch my kids for breaks to see if they qualify for our extended school year program. To get in, they have to show regression over the break and take more than half the time missed (so more than a week, if the break was two weeks) to get close to what they were performing at before the break. If they're doing homework, reading, and working on things all break, when I test them for ESY it's not really going to be accurate, so I honestly want mine to do nothing school related over the break!
    I always had TONS of homework over breaks in high school, for almost every class. This was seen as something that was expected if you wanted to take AP classes. If people complained, they told them to take the regular class. I think I've posted this here before, but the only homework assignment I've EVER blown off in my entire life was reading crime and punishment over christmas break senior year. I read maybe a 4th of it and just got too busy. Never felt guilty about it either.

6. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Nov 27, 2011

I was given TONS of math homework and a take home quiz over the Thanksgiving weekend. Planning on doing it all Monday - it is due either Tuesday/Thursday. Thankfully all my other teachers didn't give homework which was vey nice!

I really don't like getting homework during the holidays, but it isn't the end of the world so I'll manage :p

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 28, 2011

No, I never give HW actually, I try to send a guided reading book home with every child and hope they read or are being read to, but I don't stress about it if they didn't read it on the break, they can read it tonight.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

The only homework we ever give over breaks is reading. Students have nightly reading they have to do and write a log about it. Its not that big of a deal, but they are held accountable for it.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

My principal put in his staff minutes to 'be aware of upcoming holidays' when assigning homework. Nice to work in a district that values not only academics, but respects family traditions and holidays as well.:cool:

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

What I have found is that students look at "holiday homework" or homework assigned over the weekend in the same way. Any time I have tried to assign even the smallest of tasks over the weekend, my students seem to get extremely upset and act as if it is not allowed.
    I usually have one of 2 responses (dependong on how extreme their reaction was):
    1. It is not that much work and you know it will not take you very long at all.
    2. If I have to work over the weekend, you can do some too.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

I'm fine with weekend homework.

But NOT over Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter breaks.

12. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

We are required to give winter and spring homework packets. I've always been in the same district so I've never experienced anything else. (Multiple grade levels, multiple schools, same experience). For me, it's a headache, because so many students don't do it, but we are supposed to grade them on it so it hurts their grade. I have mixed feelings about it, because I know some kids do like the work. A lot of students just sit around their house for those two weeks, and having some schoolwork to do is good for them. Other students leave the country for the entire time, and lose it or just don't do it, and in that case I can't really blame them.

13. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Nov 29, 2011

"I sincerely hope her principal gives her some huge Professional Development project, due Monday at 8 am. You know, to keep her skills sharp."

If she's like a lot of us, she already has "homework"......lesson planning, gathering or creating resources for those lesson, papers and projects to grade.....

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

Right, I get that.

But as teachers we get to decide when to do that aspect of our jobs. I know I did absolutely no schoolwork over the Thanksgiving break. All my planning for this week was done ahead of time. I'm caught up on my grading. I walked into school Monday morning having not touched schoolwork since Wednesday afternoon. It was my choice as a teacher to give myself a holiday weekend with my family.

Pity that my 11 year old didn't have that same option

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 30, 2011

Excellent point and right on. As teachers, to a large extent, we control our work by what we assign, when we assign, and when we grade and hand back work. We also control when students MUST do work.

Assigning work that can only be completed over break does not give students that option. Setting them up to have to do work over break or do double time before or after is not fair to them either.

We chose to become teachers. We control our schedule. Students don't have that choice. There has been a growing trend for schools (not all) to think they have control over family life also. You know, those lovely projects that REQUIRE parents to participate to engage the student in a family activity to foster the "love of learning" which often backfires and in reality makes parents and sometimes students resent the teacher and school in general.

As a parent I have been asked to do some very intrusive things that had little to do with learning and more to do with the teacher thinking it was ok to intrude on family time or require something that didn't fit into the family schedule. An alternative assignment would have accomplished learning the same content, but it wouldn't require some ridiculous expectations on family time. BTW, I spent quality time with my family. I didn't need a special project to do so.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 30, 2011

a2z, your post made me smile because I absolutely agree and I know exactly what you mean.

One of my son's teachers did projects like that one year--repeatedly. The first time or two I even enjoyed it. After that, not so much. It forever changed my opinion.

I do admit I have one such project but it is because it is a curriculum standard I can't meet completely in the classroom. It deals with family traditions. I can't know their family traditions so I can't really help them (though we do some relatable lessons in the classroom).

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 30, 2011

Personally, it isn't so much those type of lessons (except they can be really hard on kids with dysfunctional families, foster children, kids that lost both parents recently, that don't have typical traditions - can you imagine - every Thanksgiving Dad gets drunk, passes out for a while, and then gets up and scream and threatens mom) but the ones where it requires us to go somewhere and do something. One year my child was required to visit several historical areas and do photo journals and reports on them. They were required outside of school field trips with children that couldn't drive. If it wasn't for the darn current photos needed to prove that the person was there, it wouldn't have been done. All close historical areas were already visited by us several times. Some were even done by school field trips in earlier grades. There was no way I was taking overnight trips to reach the far away locations in my state.

Darn, I really wish I knew how to use Photoshop to add my kids picture to previously taken pictures of the locations!

My all time favorite was the one to gather fall leaves (that where pretty much gone because the trees dropped their leaves early that year - before the assignment was given). It took trips to several parks and neighborhood to find a sufficient number of different leaves that were WHOLE and still usable to make a book. Ugh. That thing took so much time and most of it was driving and finding a way to get dried leaves to stay together to put in a book.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 30, 2011

I can't imagine having to drive places (other than the store) to complete any project. Now THAT I never had to do.

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 30, 2011

We had to travel about 6 hours for the holidays. Riding in the van isn't really conducive to getting homework done and besides, we did most of our driving at night. I am reluctant to let them take textbooks, etc to the grandparents because if they are accidentally left - we are in trouble. They only see these cousins twice a year and homework isn't on anyone's minds. Please don't send homework on the holidays.

20. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011

I think this is a tough topic. I've been the teacher that both assigns homework over the break and the one that made sure my students had a nice, long, stress-free break to refresh.

I've also assigned a test on the Monday after Thanksgiving Break! It was supposed to be the Tuesday before, but as we were reviewing it was clear that the students needed more time and so to avoid failing an entire class, I allowed them to wait until Monday to take the test.

I think that sums up my attitude. I'd much prefer that my students get to relax, but I want the flexibility (so no school-wide policies saying do this or do that) to use my discretion when needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.