Holiday HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Nov 16, 2006

Ok, so I sent a letter out to all my parents asking them to check off any and all holidays that are celebrated in their homes (from a list I came up with). I explained that I wanted each child to have the opportunity to celebrate, discuss, and learn about the holidays that are important to their families and cultural heritage. And I included that I wanted to incorporate these important holidays into our classroom lessons and projects. (I'm begning to think maybe that wasn't a great idea...)

I got a few back today and so far I have Christmas on everyones. But I also have one family that celebrates St. Nicholas Day and one that celebrates Diwali.

If ANYONE has any knowledge of these, craft or activity ideas, or anything that might help me discuss them with my class, I would be MOST GRATEFUL!!

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 16, 2006

St. Nicholas Day is celebrated on December 6th. Children place their shoes out the night before and find it filled with candy, nuts, and fruit the next day. I teach at a Catholic school and we celebrate that day. My Pre-K children place a shoe outside the door and the Jr. High students fill them candy and small toys. The Jr. High kids ring a sleigh bell as they leave. We run out and find the candy-filled shoes. St. Nicholas is associated with gold coins.
    You could make a shoe and glue a chocolate coin inside.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie