Holiday Field Trip

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Dec 1, 2008.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas for a Holiday field trip? It has to be something that I could set up pretty quickly. We got the school vans for next Thursday (Dec. 11).

Unfortunately, our plan (which was originally approved) to go see Santa at the mall has been nixed because of it not being "inclusive" of all religions. I guess I partly understand, but all of my kids celebrate Christmas and no one would be offended. We were also going to learn about the other religions by looking at the other decorations that they have in the mall.

Anyways, I'm trying to come up with a useful trip for the kids. My principal says we can go to the mall... but that's not that exciting. Especially if we don't get to see Santa.

Any ideas?

A couple years ago, when I worked in VA, we took a trip to Michael's Craft stores - they did a holiday craft as a field trip for kids. You had to take your shopping "list" to get the items from the store, and then they led a little craft in their "classroom." It was cute. The Michaels around here had no idea what I was talking about, so that was unfortunate.

Any tips/thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

3. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

Well we are doing 2 things with our life Skills dept. and are using them as lessons. we are going Christmas shopping at the mall on the 12th. We sent home a note telling parents that we were going and that they could send money if they wanted and to attach a Christmas shopping list. Whether the kids buy or not it is a great trip because we can compare prices, count money for food or gifts and we get to reinforce how we act in public. Next monday we are going with our Pal group and going to the movies, we are packing sack lunches and eating in the food court and then going to see Bolt or Madagascar, depending on which one starts first.

We don't have much in holiday related stuff here, you might see if you could visit a bakery and let them show the kids how they make stuff and see if they could make cookies for the kids to decorate as another option. Sorry, probably not the answers you were looking for, but that is what we are doing. :)

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

Is there a Build-A-Bear at the mall? You can make a class mascot and than go to a book store and read it a story and then go out for lunch.

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

OOOHH Thats a good one :)

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

You could also give Home Depot a call. They did a special building workshop with my class. They made picture frames and were given a child sized home depot orange apron (we used them when we painted at school :)). They also gave us 2 bags full of extra building activities that they had extra of. I gave those away as prizes.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2008

How about a bus trip to a local nursing home? You could sing some songs, bring them cookies and cards that you make as a class...

Any IMAX theaters near you? They have great movie selections for school groups...

A bakery? Maybe you could get a bakery (or bakery dept of a food store) to let you in to decorate holiday cookies to eat/bring home?

Do you have a farm or small zoo near you? Some have holiday displays, you can observe how the animals are getting furrier for winter...

8. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Dec 1, 2008

Any candy factories nearby?