Holiday excitement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Nov 10, 2009.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

As I was driving home today, I was trying to figure out what in the world has made my kids so chatty(more than usual). They could not stop talking. It reminded me of how my students get around Christmas time. We did an activity about what we are thankful for and one of my students said that he was thankful for Christmas and Santa.

Have you noticed any of your students getting excited about Christmas? If so, do you think the stores are to blame for bringing out the decorations so early?

Personally, I couldn't believe that Wal-Mart had Christmas decorations out the week of Halloween!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 10, 2009

Totally! It is insane. I have been in two stores within the past week and both were playing Christmas music! I could not believe it. Christmas music is not supposed to start now- the day after Thanksgiving is the earliest. lol

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 10, 2009

Yes! We had a food fight in the cafeteria today. My class did not throw any food thank goodness. My students' attitudes have not been so good. We've been practicing routines when we don't "get it". It works. I had a student run out of my class for the first time today. :(

I can't imagine how it will be when the holidays are closer. Practice your routines and make it into a game. I use a timer. It helps my 4th graders.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

I am hoping to keep my kids as busy as possible so they don't have a chance to get into trouble! :) (wishful thinking I think)

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

I'm blaming it on the weather. We had recess just eight times in October and this past week we've had the most beautiful weather, especially for around here, low humidity, 73 degrees. Why, I'm even pumped!

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

Students are acting out a bit more as the holidays get closer, but it tends to be more about anxiety about the holidays (not having enough to eat, no money for gifts, no heat, etc.). This time of year means that students are home more and that isn't always the best.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2009

My class are all doing the SELECTIVE HEARING thingy now. I can't believe how they are told over and over to do something and they don't even do it. They are fighting more, taddling and just acting up a storm!
    Rebel1

9. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 13, 2009

Full moon has passed but it's Friday the 13th now. I really do think some of my kiddoes turn into werewolves after dark. Christmas catalogs are in my mailbox already. My three year old daughter picks out everything and when I bring up how much her choices cost, she tells me not to worry as Santa will pay for it all!