Holiday craft ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 1, 2010

Anyone have any? I have conferences this week, so I'm looking for something that could last a few days to give me time to prep while the kids are busy.
    Thanks!!

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2010

4. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 1, 2010

Thanks!!!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

I did this with 2nd graders, and it was slightly difficult for them, so might work for your 4th graders.

You need small squares of tissue paper (1x1 or 2x2 or so)... Give them a cutout on tagboard (or they could trace their own)... we gave all the kids snowmen, but you could do bells, wreaths, trees, Santa, whatever. Show them how to wrap a piece of tissue paper around the end of their pencil eraser and dip it in glue, then put it on the shape. They're trying to cover the ENTIRE shape with the tissue paper. Makes some cool 3-Dish art :) This took some of my 2nds FOREVER, but they look awesome when done.

6. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

If you are looking for some activities that will give you time to prepare here are a few that I have done that do just that!

-Marshmallow Creations: Materials: mini marshmallows, toothpicks, Assign students into small groups. Have them design some kind of structure. You can tie this into a literature unit, a read aloud story, a social studies or science topic, or even a spin off of a writing assignment. The possibilities are endless. The kids will love it!

-Have your students write and make Christmas cards for a Senior Citizen Center, A children's hospital, or Soldiers.

- Write a Word on the board and have a classroom contest to generate as many new words as possible using the letters.

- Make a Holiday placemat. You can laminate these later and then use them during your classroom holiday celebration and then students can take them home to enjoy as well.

- Give students a newspaper scavenger hunt to complete. (You get a bunch of old newspapers from a local recycling center)

- Have students write their own Christmas recipes and then make a picture of what the recipe would look like.

-Give students a list of words and a piece of graph paper. Have them design their own word searches using the words and then you can mix them up and pass them out for students to complete.