Holiday Candy Boxes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mopar, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

So, I used to make cookie boxes for my family and friends, especially my husbands co-workers...but with having a baby last winter, it was something that I skipped and my sister took over!

She said that she wanted to make cookies again this year, so I thought that I would make candy. I've found a few great family recipes, but if anyone has more that would be appreciated!

Also, about how many types of different candy would be good for each box? And how many of each type should be in a box?

**Candy needs to be made in way smaller portions than cookies and it seems to take more focus (probably cause I'm newer to this!)

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 22, 2010

Yum.

This may be too low-key and easy -- but this is the recipe my Mama and I make EVERY year for my coworkers and my husband's. It's so easy and SO delicious.

We get jars of peanuts and melt chocolate in a double boiler. Add peanuts to to melted chocolate and scoop on wax paper. Scoop into little mounds. Put in freezer... Growing up we used to put them on the back porch because it was so cold in Boston! :)

We also make the delicious Peppermint/White Chocolate bark.

Melt white chocolate in the double boiler.. add crushed up candy canes and spread evenly in thin/shallow pan. Freeze. Yum. :)

I know that chocolates to be melted for candies are on sale at Michaels down here this week...! Good luck and YUM.:hugs:

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

My mom gets styrofoam cones & prepackaged candy & makes Xmas trees using the cone, candy & a hot glue gun. YOu think it wouldn't be too hard.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

Thanks for the recipes!

Interesting on the Xmas trees. I used to make them with cookies and candies. I have tons of star shaped cookie cutters in different sizes. So, I could just stack green sugar cookies to make a tree, add icing, sugar, and candies for ornaments. I think this was just too much work with the little one under foot. She'll be my helper in a few years!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2010

peppermint bark is super easy. Take the white chocolate melts, melt them in the microwave, add crushed up peppermints and spread on wax paper. You can add sprinkles or a chocolate drizzle.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cranberry-nut-chocolate-bark-recipe I wanted to try something like this too, but I ran out of time.

Also, you can just melt the chocolate, white chocolate, or use the peppermint bark mixture before it sets, and coat oreos, pretzels, nuts, raisins, marshmallows, dried fruit, strawberries, etc. I LOVE peppermint bark coated oreos.

I also have some snowflake lollipop molds from wilton. I just pour in white chocolate, stick in the stick and they are done and look really pretty.

I also have a recipe for a fudgy homemade Andes candy sort of thing. They are divine. I will have to find it when I get home.

Check out the wilton site for ideas, too. http://www.wilton.com/candy/

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

Wow! I think that the lollipops would be great for next year. I will have to invest. I have a peppermint bark recipe from years ago from grandma! I pulled it out, but I think I'll make another trip to the store for some goodies to dip.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 22, 2010

Similar to the bark is what I call "trash." Melt the chocolate and pour it out on parchment paper just like for bark but instead of peppermint sprinkle it with M&Ms, peanuts and pretzels.

Also tasty is imitation toffee.
    Fully cover a baking sheet with foil, go over edges and wrap it.
    Place saltines in a single layer on the whole sheet
    Melt a cup of butter and a cup of sugar on the stove top and then pour all over the saltines
    Cover saltines with chocolate chips (1-2 cups depending on how chocolatey you want it) and either about a cup of walnuts or almonds
    Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes
    Remove and place in fridge to chill
    Once fully chilled break into pieces.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

I think rock candy is easy if you google the recipe... I remember making that & you can make it different colors.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2010

Rock candy's fairly easy, but it does take slooooow cooling to develop nice big showy crystals.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 22, 2010

I have melted white chocolate chips and added dried cranberries and Capt Crunch cereal. Everyone always thinks I went to a lot or work.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

So, let's see...

I have divinity, turtles, oreo truffles, buckeyes, candy cane fudge, peanut brittle, chocolate peanut butter fudge...

Still to make...marshmallow chocolate fudge, peppermint bark, and smores!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2010

What is your smores recipe mopar?

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

In a sauce pan, I combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup of brown sugar until both have dissolved.

On a cookie sheet, I lay out saltine crackers. I pour the butter/sugar mix over the crackers.

Bake this for about 5 minutes at 450 degrees.

I usually pour a bag of chocolate chips over the top and spread it out until everything is covered and the chocolate is smooth. Sometimes I mix the marshmallow creme in with the chocolate before spreading (depending on my mood).

If not, I top with a few marshmallows.

Cool for about 2 hours and then break into pieces!

It's delicious!

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

On a side note: I also make smores cookies...I usually bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies and then place a marshmallow between two cookies and reheat for about 2 minutes so that the marshmallow melts a little.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 23, 2010

That s'mores recipe sounds delicious!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 1, 2011

I made the easiest peanut butter fudge recipe from allrecipes.com site. It is now my favorite holiday recipe. But I'm going to have to pack it away with the Christmas stuff so I don't make it too often.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

I made the peppermint bark this year and it was a HUGE hit!!!

It was probably the easiest thing I've EVER made!!!

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2011

It is definitely the easiest thing I make with the most WOW factor.

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 4, 2011

I bought Keebler chocolate chip cookies and dipped half of the cookie in candy melts (like chocolate bark) and sprinkle with red and green decorations(From Target-little green holly leaves with tiny red berries). They looked so festive and everyone loved them. They are SO easy to make and fast.