Holding pencil correctly...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bloom, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Apr 9, 2010

Do any of you experienced pre-school teachers have strategies for helping kids hold their pencils correctly. My preschooler can read and do math, but still holds his pencil with his whole hand! He doesn't want to budge from that.....

He writes pretty well, despite the incorrect holding, but I want to break him of the habit. Any tricks or tips?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

I always tell the children to "pinch" with the thumb and forefinger, and "add a shelf" with the middle finger. Works like a charm.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Give him a very short crayon and he will be forced to use it correctly.

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

How old exactly? What size pencil are you using? If using a regular #2 pencil, I would switch to a larger round pencil or there is a large triangular shaped pencil that is easier to grasp, I used that with a child this year that was having fine motor issues, and it worked well.

6. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Apr 9, 2010

I give them a broken pencil like a golf pencil size. That is the one thing I agree with HWTears is the short pencil. I do not use large pencils or crayons. I just feel like they have small hands so I have never understood the concept of giving something bigger for them to grasp. Just my opinion

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

That's what I was saying, too Dcnuck. Use a short pencil or crayon. When the writing device is too long, they are still able to grasp it with a fist. If it's SHORT, they cannot grasp it with their fist, therefore they are forced to hold it with the FINGERS!

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

YOu also need to work on lots of fine motor development activities. Google it for lots of ideas.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2010

Just curious (since this is a million miles from anything I know anything about):

Why does it matter how a pencil is held?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2010

Well, holding the pencil in the fist doesn't allow for fine-motor control: the kid would be using arm muscles to accomplish what finger muscles should be doing.

As to the various possible grips with the fingers, I can think of a few that aren't optimal on fine-motor grounds but several others where personal preference ought probably to rule.

11. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Apr 10, 2010

Great tips...thanks!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

The reason I start teaching holding their pencil/crayons correctly at age 5 has to do with preparing for writing. They will all be in Kindergarten the following year that I have them and they will need proper control of their pencils in order to write correctly. Another thing I find is that allowing them to use "markers" too often does not allow for their fine motor skills to develop.When they use markers, they are not building their motor skills because markers glide so easily across the paper. Crayons and pencils force them to "work" those fingers and in turn strengthen fine motor skills because they have to press harder.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

That makes sense, thanks!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2010

I hadn't thought about that issue with markers, Grammy.