Holding back students-Long!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MorahMe, May 30, 2007.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

May 30, 2007

I'm an assistant in a private playgroup for three year olds, so obviously I have very little say in this matter, and the decision has already been made, but I'm curious to know what other people think of this situation:
    I have a student who will be four in July. She is getting 15 hours of SEIT services every week-for those who don't know, that's a TON! When her SEIT first got all her paperwork, she said the kid sounded autistic, which we all discovered is NOT the case. In September, she was not toilet trained, couldn't sit for more than 2-3 minutes at a time, and could barely talk beyond saying her name. Within a week, she was fully trained. At this point, she is speaking in full sentances. The SEIT claims she can't focus at all, which I don't find to be the case-on her bad days, she sits for 5 minutes at a time, on her better days, she can sit for up to 20. The SEIT claims her comprehension is poor, and that all she can do is spit back the information. (Funny, when we went to the fire startion, and the firefighter told the kids that if there's a fire, they should crawl out of the house, she was the only one who connected that to babies. The SEIT says that's not comprehension...so what is it?) The SEIT recommended that she be held back, and the teacher said not to, and that with the proper help, she'll be able to handle Pre-K. I've been siding with the teacher on the whole matter. Would you hold back such a student, or send her ahead?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2007

I would send her to pre-k. She needs to be with students her own age to continue to develop positive social skills.

4. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 30, 2007

Two critical questions...
    1) What would be the teacher to child ratio at the Pre-K level? Here Pre-K the ratio is 1 to 5 until the child is 5 years old, but I know in other places the ratio can be higher in a "school" setting. With a low child to teacher ratio, I say promote, but if its too high (1 to 8 or higher), I would say she wouldn't get the help (attention) she needs.

2) If the child is promoted to Pre-K, will the child still get "special" services? In several states, SEIT services are only to get students "ready" for Pre-K and once they enter Pre-K, they no longer get the special assistance they need. You've already acknowledged she needs additional help, so this can be a factor to consider.

***And on my soapbox, I would like to add, that obviously the parents are not truly concerned with her progress; otherwise, she would have made more progress. The child may need the additional year of maturity (6 years by K) in order to effectively progress in school.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jun 3, 2007

The Pre-K she'll be attending has a 1 to 6 ratio at most times during the day. She will continue getting the same hours of services. I don't think I really did such a good job on my description though. I find that she doesn't perform for the SEIT at all, and does much better when she is not there. When the SEIT is there, she'll ask for a bribe to complete any task-if she's asked to lace, which is one of the skills the SEIT says is lacking, she'll ask the SEIT for gum. On the other hand, when I asked her to do a lacing project with me on Thursday, (the SEIT wasn't in school) she sat down and did the entire project on her own, no help at all! I think she, like most kids, will live up to our expectations of her, as long as they're not outragiously high. The SEIT (who will not be continuing with her next year in any case) expects that she won't be able to lace, that she can't cut, that she can't sit, and that's what she gets.

6. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

Well she can do pre-k twice if nessicary correct? It sounds like she'd do better in a different environment.

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jun 17, 2007

She'll probably end up repeating K, that's the most common repeat grade in the school she's going to. Something interesting happened on our last school trip though, that kind of proves my point-we joined up with another nursery and the the school she's going to next year for a really cool bubble show. The show was a full hour long. This kid was one of the only kids in our class to sit in her place the entire time without disturbing, and she got up and volunteered to make a "bubble wand" from her hand. She was one of only 2 students who tried it to do it successfully, and both of the other volunteers were older and had no special needs.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2007

Here, in this state, you cannot repeat public preK. She'd have to repeat K. She sounds ready enough to move on, however, in my opinion. PreK kids start at ALLL different levels....and we are prepared to deal with that.
    Kim

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jun 24, 2007

My thoughts exactly! Some children in the school she's entering have never been to school before. They're worse off then she is! I don't think it's an issue...Plus, being in a private school, she can repeat any grade they feel necessary.