Holding a pencil and writing their names. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 27, 2016.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2016

It is nearly the 10 th week of the school year. I am beyond frustrated with two of my kids. They both came to me not even knowing how to hold a pencil or even which hand was their dominate hand. My principal did come in and did a little "test" to see which hand they should write with. Both of them have made very little progress in their writing. We practice everyday!!! Please give me some tricks on how to improve writing without wanting to cry everyday (me) I asked parents to help at home and as far as I can tell, it's not getting done. I also have a left who writes everything backwards. How do I help her???? Any suggestions I will take!!!

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 27, 2016

What age/grade? You could try pencil grips or larger pencils (those fat ticonderoga ones) if it's a sensory/motor issue. Sometimes that helps a lot. I'm not sure what to say about the one who writes backwards; I have a student that does that *occasionally* but not consistently, and he doesn't seem to notice he does it so I think it's just a weird stage of writing where left-to-right isn't a priority. Keep practicing though! Sometimes kids just don't pick things up as quickly as we want them to but it doesn't mean they won't ever get it.

4. minnie

minnie Habitué

Oct 27, 2016

They could have poor dexterity or poor strength with their hands. These kids probably never had opportunities at home to paint and color or draw with different instruments at home. These kids have difficulty writing small on a piece of paper. They need opportunities to paint and draw using really big strokes first. After they do this for awhile, they will be more ready to write using smaller strokes on lined paper. I would open up some sort of center where they can paint on big butcher paper. Let them do whatever they want. Or let them draw letters on really big paper before you expect them to write on normal paper. These kids usually needs to start out writing really big, then eventually they get smaller and smaller. It's a developmental thing. Also, give them clothesline to pinch and pick up things like Pom Pom balls or have them write in clay to help with their hand strength. Have them write chalk too. Anything that requires more strength than just holding a pencil.

Backroads likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 28, 2016

Like minnie said, you're probably in a position where you are trying to cram on them several years' of fine motor skill development. So... take a deep breath and accept it for what it is. I love the idea of the center for writing/coloring skills. And then, just be patient and don't rush it.

6. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Nov 5, 2016

How do they hold their crayons when they color?

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2016

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2016

Of the four who came to me not knowing how to hold a pencil or write their names I am finally making some progress with two. One of them was taken out of school. Mom said they were moving but I have a source that says nope they didn't move Mom is just lazy. And the last one omgoodness is still staring at the paper I give him. He will trace something if I sit on top of him but any writing on his own is non existent. This kid can't even remember where his cubbie is so it;s no surprise he can't write.