Hobbies & time to do them

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I am just curious, based off a conversation I had last night with DH, what are your hobbies? I don't mean things you like to do or consider yourself good at, but things you actually do. He has come to the conclusion that I don't have any hobbies, which I consider quite sad, but I honestly do not know, after working all day, making dinner and cleaning up, how I am suppose to indulge in a hobby. I enjoy painting, scrapbooking, reading, and outdoor activities when it's nice.

I feel like painting and scrapbooking require a fair amount of set up and space, both of which we lack so I can't just leave it out which means I rarely bring it out at all.

Any thoughts? I am looking for both inspiration and how you find time for your personal endeavors.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2010

dizzy... I'm in the same boat, but I do like to read, so I try to do that. I also have scrapbooking stuff... um tucked away somewhere with not really any place to do it. I try to just do smaller ones on Walgreens.

Hubby & I enjoy music, so we will get a new cd of someone we enjoy.

I also like working wtih my pictures doing slideshows with music. Speaking of which I really gotta finish one up!!! LOL!!!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2010

I like reading, gardening and cooking. I used to have a bunch of other hobbies too like candlemaking but it requires a lot of time and patience.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

my dh does not seem to get that while I enjoy thing and did them in the past, it is ok if I don't do them now. I aldo garden,but I think he views that as a chore I do. Same thing goes for walking the dog. I like it in the evening,just not @ 5am.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

I understand. My BF has a very time and money intensive hobby, which is auto-cross. I have some things I like to do, but not on that level. He spends probably 1/3 of his paycheck every week on it, not to mention the majority of every weekend racing and several nights a week prepping the car during race season, which is April - November.

I really like improv comedy. I just found a group up here that does classes for $10 every week and then they have a show later. If you are good in class they put you in the show. I think I am going to start that soon.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2010

I don't have a hobby either... I feel like I should have one but I have no clue on what I can do. I'm not really creative but now that I have an unfinished basement, I've been thinking of refinishing furniture that I find at garage sales. Now I just have to go to garage sales:lol:

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

That sounds like a conversation my hubby and I had not too long ago!!

I told him I needed to find something to do because I was (gasp!) getting bored sitting at home all summer. He told me I should take up a hobby. I told him I already have a hobby - shoe shopping!!!!

He didn't think that was very funny.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2010

Maybe your new hobby can be building a new closet for all your shoes LOL

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

Sadly, I think it may be coming to that real soon!!!

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

I don't really have a hobby but find many of the things that I do as a teacher to be creative and fun and see the material prep part of the job as my hobby and the paper work/planing part as the job.

I do love to read and do manage to read non-professional books on a regular basis. I used to scrapbook and cross stitch but that stopped when I became a mother.

12. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

I'm a scrapbooker big time. If I had a proper space to do my actual artwork I would.I'm lucky enough to have a nice big work area for my scrappy stuff.

Not sure this will help on a regular basis....but I do know that my local art supply store has a free scrapbooking class every wednesday night from 5-7. You might check into local stores to see what they offer. While you might not be able to go every week, even once a month would give you some me time. Or look into a weekend crop where you can look forward and plan around it in advance. This same store also has a 3rd saturday a month Scrapbooking Crop from 12-5 which is great.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2010

I do a lot of cross-stitching. It's something I can do for a few minutes or a few hours. I do it year-round, and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

I have other hobbies as well, but they're not things that I do all that often.

Cross-stitch is very relaxing for me. I use it to unwind. I stopped for awhile (about a year) when I was too vain to get bifocals and couldn't see the stitches. :blush:

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

I tried scrapbooking but didn't get too far with it. I thought I was gonna love it, but I have the huge book with only 5 pages done and it's just sitting there.

Photography is my hobby, actually it's a passion. I'm in a local photography club and I'm a photographer for my church.
    If I leave my camera at home on purpose that usually means I'm very depressed.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

I also scrap and at my last job there was a group of us that would take turns hosting and have a scrap night every month. Its a little bit of a pain because you either have to haul everything out or get together what you want to do before you go, but it is definitely fun. And sometimes people would come and just hang out or work on other crafts. Also, you can go on meetup.com and try to find a group.

I think I am going to use meetup.com to try to start a bookclub. A girl I know owns a coffee shop here so I thought that might be a fun night to do it. And I think I am going to start a board game night with my colleagues this coming school year.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I like to knit. I do more of it in the colder months, but during the summer I like to knit up dish clothes and smaller items. Knitting relaxes me-the clicking of the needles is soothing.
    I am also a huge reader. I love to get lost in a good book. I suppose cooking and baking could be considered hobbies too!
    I scrapbook when I feel as though I have a need to-last December I made a scrapbook for my sister for Christmas.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I used to do a lot of cross stitching when my hubby was in the military, and I really did enjoy it. Hmmm, maybe I should take it back up...

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2010

I'm in the same boat as many of you...no real hobbies here either, just things I like to do (shop, movies, dine out, travel, walk my dog, etc.) & places I like to go (performing arts events, pro tennis matches, etc.) I don't really make/create anything.

I learned to knit & crochet when I was a child, but forgot how to do those. I also made a few dogs out of yarn as a child. I suppose if I had the time, I could return to drawing & painting. I did them while in school.

19. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

My only real hobby is tap class. I love it and now I go twice a week. Other than that, I just like doing stuff with the family. We love to go out and just find something to do. We also love to travel. With 3 major vacations and 2 camping trips this year who has time for another hobby?

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I have a lot of hobby like things I can do, and I even enjoy some of them.

Reading, knitting, sewing, embroidery, cooking, writing.

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

I guess I am pretty happy with what I do. Ms. I you said it very well. I enjoy riding my bike, rollerblading, playing frisbee, scrapbooking, reading, cooking, baking and walking the dog. I don't have a hobby that takes over my life or requires frequent participation or investment like he does.

I use to take ballet classes and I loved it, but now my graduate classes are on the same night so I had to stop.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2010

dizzykates, aww rats! Well, I hope you get to continue the ballet again soon!

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I'm very actively involved in our local community band. I spend a lot of time practicing, performing and with my position on the board of directors, doing various things to promote our band. It's a lot of fun even though it can be stressful at times. Band is my place to get away and not be mom or teacher or whatever... it's all for me. :)

Woodlands Concert Band