Hoarders

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 7, 2009

OK, who is watching this show? It's on A & E, Monday nights. It is so sad, and gross, and awful. It is about people who have compulsive hoarding issues--and I mean issues. The lady on tonight had her water turned off 2 years ago, and has been using adult diapers as a toilet. And not throwing them away. They are piled a foot deep in the whole house-they ate through the floor in the bathroom.

The other woman has goats that roam in and out of the house, and ate through the outside walls.

It is just pitiful. Awful! These poor people have terrible lives, and can't get out of it. They routinely find dead animals, feces, and other horrendous items in these houses.

I am hooked on this show!

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 7, 2009

Yes, I have seen that show! It's insane! Last week they had a lady who had two mummified cats beneath years of rotting junk. Those cats died in her house and hardened under all of her crap and she didnt know. I bet they didn't alter the smell too much with all the trash in there but geez!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 7, 2009

Oh, I can't even imagine. And they get these college looking guys to do the cleaning, I can't believe they will. They have to go in with Hazmat gear, and these people are living there!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 7, 2009

I noticed that. The homeowners don't wear masks, but everyone else does. Those people have been breathing that stuff for years. I wonder what affect it has on their physical health. I certainly would not go in there to clean! Gross!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2009

I started to watch the show - with morbid curiosity. I just couldn't watch. It made me feel panicky. It is so sad. Were there always hoarders and people didn't know about it?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 7, 2009

I swear up and down my minister is one. I parked next to his van Saturday at the store, and you literally could barely see out the windshield. Mail. In the back were boxes, and just...stuff. He won't let the trustees in the parsonage, either. He keeps his windows drawn, and there is trash coming out the back door. The garage door needed repaired, and the guys who came to replace it said they couldn't because they couldn't get the door open with so much stuff in there.

But no one on our church board will do anything. I used to be on, but my 2 year stint was up last year, so there's not much I can do. It is just sick.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 7, 2009

Oh, and I wanted to add...I'm not looking down on these people, I truly believe they have a mental illness that manifests in <stuff>. They need help.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 7, 2009

I one with the dead cats, and no water certainly seemed to need some mental health care.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 7, 2009

I have no intention of watching the show. I had my fill of hoarders dealing with my grandmother (my dad's mother, not the evil one who's still alive). The stuff in her house was horrific. What's worse, is that even when Hurricane Andrew blew everything away and we rebuilt and she was back to living on her own, she fired the aid we had hired (and we didn't realize she had done that), and stuff started building up again. In the 18 months after her house was done, and before we got power of attorney to have her put into a nursing home (very much against her will, in spite of yet another stroke), she had managed to let the stuff pile up again. It was disgusting. There were incontinece pads (used) in her underwear dawer, spit wads in all the corners, dog and cat waste, rotten food and trash just everywhere. I have a pretty tough stomach, but I wretched a couple of times after discovering yet another mess.

I've lived it. I really don't want to see it again.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2009

If animals are at risk, you can always call animal care and control. If the person is elderly, you can call an elder hotline. If there are visible code violations, you can call your county or city government.

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

I manage an apartment and we had a hoarder move out about 5 years ago. My husband had to seek medical treatment for an eye infection when he started cleaning the place, so we had to have professionals with masks finish the job. We even found a mummified possum carcass under one of her chairs (the neighbors had thought she was having kitty litter issues one year - I'll bet it was the possum).

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

I watch it, too. I feel bad for the people and I feel really bad for their families. The last one I watched, the woman just would not accept that she had a problem and kept laying all this guilt on her kids who were trying to help her. The one daughter finally just said, I love you, I can't believe you would pick all your stuff over me, but I am done with this - I choose me. And she walked out. Sometimes that's what you have to do.

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 8, 2009

I watched one episode and it just made me too sad for these people living their lives that way.

15. scienceboy

scienceboy Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

Give me a freaking break, there is a show like that??? I can't believe they're actually filming this....

16. scienceboy

scienceboy Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

lol, amazing.

17. scienceboy

scienceboy Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

They obviously have mental problems....

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

Not something I have any desire to watch.

19. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

deleted . . . too personal

20. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 9, 2009

We bought our first house from a hoarder. We had to gut the house and rent 3 dumpsters to shovel the debris. She left 7 cats and cat poop and litter all over the carpet. There was a raw roast that had been in the oven for weeks. The house stunk to high heaven. It was Easter Sunday and a friend came over with an Easter lily for the previous owner and I almost flipped wondering how her friends and family could let her live like that.

I watch the show and now I understand.