Hmmmm - grumble

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TheConspiracy, Jun 28, 2006.

1. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Well, I went to my new school today to sign my contract paperwork and I am getting a little *worried*

They were nice to me and friendly and all - but I am feeling a little left in the dark.

They didn't seem to remember my appointment to come in and then they just kinda left me alone with the stuff for about 10 mins. Then when I asked about meeting with someone who could get me a copy of my text books, etc (since this is my first year teaching I need to get going ASAP to get a few unit plans in order since I am going from scratch). They gave me a number to an AP whose message machine says they are unavailable until FRI.

They haven't even offered to take me on a tour of the school and I am feeling a little weird about asking.

I had to remind them I am new and the secretary seemed surprised and then gave me a pamphlet about going to a district orientation and told me someone would be in touch about a school orientation the FRI before teacher inservice week.

I am just feeling a little ignored and left to dangle. I would like to at least see the school and feel like I know what is going on. Maybe I am just feeling this way because it took 2 weeks to get an appointment to do my paperwork.

I'm just getting a weebly wobbly feeling here. Their lack of...i dunno what to call it.... is making me feel insecure.

Anyone else left twisting when they first began to teach?

~J

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 28, 2006

Most public schools are not famous for hospitality down in the office, sad to say. They are overworked and underpaid and not treated all that well by the administration much of the time. (I can only speak for my former system, of course. Both of them.) Just ask outright to be shown your room, and tell them politely but firmly that you MUST have a copy of your textbook, etc, so you can begin to make plans.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2006

J, if they're treating you like this being a brand new staff member coming in, you know how they'll be later on down the road, they don't sound very supportive at all. Dont' be too worried yet, maybe it was just a weird day. Be really friendly w/ everyone, after all you need them more than they need you, that is, if you still need a job. It's a shame they were like that though. Keep us posted on how things go & good luck! :)

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 29, 2006

Public schools can sometimes be unsupportive. Get to know the other staff and get a copy of your state standards. At the district orientation ask if you can be assigned a mentor. If you are an elmentary teacher you can buy Spectrum Workbooks for Reading, Math, Language Arts, and geography. You might want to spend your first week on rules and procedures and then start assessing your students. Maybe you can get some old textbook that are one grade below the level you are teaching to make assessments from or you can buy test taking books at your local teacher supply store. You might also have them do some Back-To-School Projects and help you make decorations for the bulletin board. Congradulations and hope this helps!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

School just ended- the office is inundated with end of year paperwork, custodial stuff, people in and out on vacation. They just may not be in their 'regular mode' right now. I'm sure things will get better. Call on Friday and talk to the AP. Be positive and entusiastic about this new job (there are hundreds of people who don't have jobs yet who would gladly change places with you) and tell him you would LOVE to come in and take a tour even though you know that the school is closed for summer and that classrooms are probably being serviced by custodians. Also that you are so excited about the new year that you want to get started on some planning so you'd like to come in and pick up curriculum. Tell him you got a pamphlet about orientation and that you are looking forward to hearing more about that. Be upbeat, enthusiastic, positive, SMILE!! It's summer- breathe and realize those who are working full time as the school are in their summer mode too. Sure they could have been a little more helpful and positive themselves but all you can do is change the way you are going to react to that and move ahead. :rolleyes:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

I agree. They're so swamped right now ending up the schoolyear! They're jiggling vacations and still trying to keep the phones manned. The fiscal year probably ends tomorrow, and that's when new administrators step in, so that may be occupying their time. They KNOW you'll be OK and forget that this is a huge change-- that you want to know what and where and how you'll be teaching.

Hang in there. Talk to the AP, get the books and the syllabus and anything else that is vital to planning. Then get started. All the other stuff can wait.

8. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 29, 2006

You guys are right -

I'm sure that things are just really hectic right now and I suppose I can wait until FRI to call and make an appointment. It isn't like the world is going to fall apart.

I just wanted to clarify though (i seem to have given the wrong impression) - they were not unfriendly. They were very cordial and nice. I just felt that the meeting was less informative than I would have hoped.

I'm just a worry wart, I think.

~J

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

No, I don't blame you. You're excited and a bit nervous and you want to get what you need so you can get started. But for them, it's the same old same old.

10. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jun 29, 2006

I hate to admit it, but welcome to the world of teaching. You're often on your own. Your best bet is to find one or two good teacher friends and hold on tightly. If you do something incorrectly (such as lunch count), you'll get the correct procedures quickly! Unfortunately that is often the way it is.

This forum should also be helpful! I wish it were here when i began.

Keep in mind that the office staff is usually left in the dark about new teachers, curriculum, and such. And they should be because someone else is being paid the BIG bucks to take care of you.

Ask for a tour! The worst thing that could happen is they make some excuse and you're no worse off than you are now. If you're signed, you should be able to tour alone now too.

Hang tough...

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 29, 2006

Take a measuring tape and measure your BB and desk. Take a camera and notepad.

We have part time help working in the summer. They only know what they are told to do.

12. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

Are there other teachers at your grade level? Ask if you can have their names and phone numbers. Call them and ask if you could get together once this summer so they can give you the scoop about the school, the kids, etc., etc. As czacza said, just be super positive and friendly. People will also probably be more receptive at the beginning of August. Our office closes down in July, so our office staff would be getting into "vacation" mode. When things re-open in August everyone's thinking "back to school." What grade will you have?

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2006

Congratulations on the new job!! You've probably heard this before, but make friends with the secretary and custodian. Bring in muffins some morning, thank them for all they do, etc. It will be worth the effort. Also, I think a lot of people in admin are truly baffled that teachers work even when we aren't being paid for it!

14. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

I interviewed in Orlando, FL, actually two months ago to date.
    We received one raffle ticket for one interview since there were 1,800 candidates, The info from the one Principal interview would be put on the OCPS website.

The Principal who interviewed me suggested I move to Orlando (financially, right now there's no way since I was a Substitute Teacher during 2005/2006 and this summer am working in a Day Care.

MY REAL QUESTION IS THIS: She said teaching in Orlando is soooo
    different and also, "Get in the schools and let the Principals get to know you and your work."

What is so Different? I had described my Kindergarten Reading program, literacy centers, positive behavior plans/multiple ideas for discipline. When I attempted to show her my Portfolio, with pictures of my classroom/students involved in learning activities, she pushed it aside. I realize that Principals were probably given a very strict time limit for interviews at the Fair. Mine lasted about 15min., I guess, since I was so mindblown when she did look at my Clear
    Fingerprint sheet and wrinkled this original.

Please comment on what is so very different about the classroom teaching in Orlando.
    Thanks a bunch!!

Mitzi

15. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 29, 2006

Mitzi - I am baffled by your post. :sorry:

I think I am just going to try and hang tight. I'm just worried because I am going to have a LOT to do. I am going into the AltCert program and that entails a LOT of work, plus I have to work on my ESOL hours - plus pass the GK Exam.

This on top of building my own unit plans - reading and annotating all the material and preparing something to say for 40-45 mins 6 times a day.

So - I am pretty worried about wanting to get stuff done BEFORE the snowball starts heading down hill so I can cut some of the stress off at the pass. However, since that just doesn't look terribly realistic - I suppose I'll just fly by the seat of my pants and maybe spend my time studying for the GK exam or something else that I have a modicum of control over. :)

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Brownies for the custodians and the secretaries - check!

~J

PS~ I already met the custodian. He warned me about some freshly polished floor. Seemed like a real nice guy! :D

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2006

Conspiracy- you've gotten a bunch of good advice. I just wanted to let you know that it is usually pretty rare for the secretaries to go out of their way and be super nice to a new teacher. Think about it... nothing has changed in their world. Just because you got hired doesn't mean they are going to roll out the red carper for you. So, you have to be assertive and treat them the way you want to be treated. Ask for what you need. Be friendly and courteous and I'm sure things will begin to change. You are naturally a little overwhelmed right now. Take a breather, relax, enjoy knowing that you have a job and let the ideas come to you. Don't try to force creativity. I guarantee you, the ideas will start flowing in no time. Best of luck.:)