hmmm..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbie0809, Oct 13, 2009.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Oct 13, 2009

Is it bad to want to purchase things for a classroom although I'm not teaching right now? I find it hard to pass up good deals on things I would love to have such as books, etc..I know I'll be back in the classroom eventually..but that money should be going toward other things also..

3. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Oct 13, 2009

I can't pass up good deals either. I get stuff at Target a lot when it's like one to three dollars lol. I think it's good cause we'll need it one day!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

If you can afford it, I would get a little bit at a time.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2009

My daughter will graduate in elementary education next year and I buy stuff for her if I can find it at a good price. I have bought stuff off of Sprout and other sites. She does not live with us anymore so her big walk in closet in her bedroom is slowly filling up with stuff she will be able to use. Also when she sees something she likes while she is doing observations, she talds a picture of it and we try to make or find something similar.

6. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Oct 14, 2009

I buy things when I find really good deals, and I always look for books on Goodwill 50% off days. Then, I keep them in plastic boxes in my garage. I will graduate in December and have been collecting for about a year. Now, I have a little stash and I don't have to go out and drop alot of cash on a bunch of things when get a job.

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 14, 2009

I have a "classroom" in my garage. I don't think it is bad. :)

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Oct 15, 2009

ive done it too. i just found a great deal on this drawer unit ive been wanting so i bought it last week and now its just sitting in its box in my living room, so sad =( but at least i know ill have a lot of stuff handy when i do get a room!! i do try to be very careful about what i buy and make sure its not very grade specific just in case.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2009

I wouldn't go overboard or anything, but it would probably be okay to pick up a few things here and there.

I would say that you should avoid grade-specific stuff, since you never know if you'll be teaching 3rd grade or 5th grade or whatever. If you plan to teach a subject at the secondary level, it's a little easier because you'll have a better idea about what you'll be teaching. Like, I teach Latin, and that's the only thing I teach.

I used to get school supplies whenever they were on sale. Before I ever started teaching I bet I had totes and totes full of post-its, notebooks, markers, crayons, and BOOKS...lots and lots of books. I'm very glad that I had all that stuff when I started. (The truth is that I could have lived without 75% of that stuff if necessary, though.)