Hmmm, that was weird. Mom and her three kids got out in front of my house and started

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

A van pulled up in front of my house, which is a weird place to stop at unless you are visiting us. So, I watched out the window to see what they wanted. They got out and started to play in my sprinklers. I didn't care much about that, but then she starts pulling on the sprinkler head, turning it! That bothered me. DON'T put your hands on my stuff! Especially if you could break it!

So, I stepped outside but they only spoke spanish. So, I just stared at them. You know the look you might give yours students/child if they just did something really stupid and you can't believe it? That's the look I gave these people. The, what-in-the-world-are-you-doing/acting-ridiculous-in front-of-my-house look. I paid good money to move to the north side of town to get away from these weirdos. Sigh....

I just had to share that. It was just weird. Why in the world would you stop in front of a house and just play in their sprinklers? WEIRD!

OH, and as the family started to walk away from my house down the street, the woman pulled up her skirt and put her leg in my sprinkler.... bleh! I didn't want to see that.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

WOW!

So, did the family walk to another yard to play in? Leave their van? That is just insane!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2010

WTH! :eek: That was beyond wierd! God only knows what they would have done if you never went out there.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Yeah, I know Ms. I!!

Yeah, the stopped the car. Got out, played in sprinklers, I stared at them, they eventually started to slowly walk away, lady pulls up skirt and quickly puts leg into the sprinkler and they walked down the street. A little while later they piled in eh car. I turned off the sprinkler and stared at them as they left.

See, I live in a nice neighborhood in a cul-de-sac. No one comes here unless you live here or are visiting. So, that was just weird.

ETA: I looked down the street and there is a yard sale. So, I GUESS they came here to check that out and decided to play in my yard too? :rolleyes:

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

:dizzy: I just can't even wrap my head around that!

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

You also live where it is very hot and there are large numbers of very low-income people.

My guess is that it was a family who was either homeless or lives without AC and desperately needed to cool off. Remember, even the municipal swimming pool isn't free. And to get to any kind of river or lake beach probably requires paying the entry fee to a state or county park.

And even if the fees are only a few bucks, if you don't have a few bucks, you're not getting in.

Under such circumstances, and in 100 degree heat, a stranger's lawn sprinklers start to look like a viable option.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2010

I was thinking they could be homeless too & picked your house at random too cool off...(but of course it's still tresspassing.)

If they were that desperate, they should have knocked on the door & just asked for a couple bottles of cold water. They could have probably communicated that much even if they didn't speak English.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I would have a far easier time playing in someone's sprinkler than knocking on their door and asking for water.

I do agree, though, that it was unusual.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Homeless or not, they shouldn't touch the actual sprinkler head. Like I said, I didn't mind that they were playing in it (they weren't drinking from it so they weren't thirsty). But, do NOT touch the head and turn it. Eeeek, I don't want ANOTHER thing to worry about.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

I would sooo ask for water before just unloading the van and playing in a person's spinklers.

And, Sarge, you mean you have to pay to enjoy a county or state park?!

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 4, 2010

Next time, put on a bathing suit and join them! :)

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

Oh, I wouldn't ever unload my van and go into a sprinkler, but if I was walking down the street, I might take a run through!

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

Most every park here that is along a river or lake charges a fee - usually $5-10 per car - to get in.

Sometimes can find a spot along a lake or river that's not part of a state, county, or regional park, but most of the time it's either all but inaccessible by land or you must cross private property to get there.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

As for redirecting the sprinklers, I remember as a kid my buddies and I going through the neighborhood and using other people's Rainbirds as "artillery" in our squirt gun battles.

16. jab87

jab87 Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

My parents have had people stop get out of their cars and take pictures of their kids in the yard and in front of the flowering trees.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I would have turned the sprinkler off.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

I think they were probably poor and hot, and your sprinklers were irresistible! In some neighborhoods, it is very common for kids to congregate in a yard with the sprinklers on and play! They don't have access to a pool or lake to cool down.

I agree, I would have joined them!

19. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Sep 7, 2010

And if anyone would have fallen and gotten hurt, you most likely would be liable. Reason alone to run off strangers in my book. Not being rude but if you're not invited, stay away!

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2010

I think maybe your gripe is more that they touched your property rather than that this was a mother and her children cooling off on a hot day.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 7, 2010

:yeahthat:

22. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Sep 7, 2010

Yeah....if one of the kids had slipped and hit their head on your sprinkler or something else.....they would have sued you. This whole "they are poor and go join them thing"....I don't think so.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

Those same people could have tripped over their own feet on my sidewalk and sued me, so I wouldn't let that be the determining factor.

It gave them such joy and cost you only the water you were using to water the lawn anyway. As long as it was a one time thing, I would have smiled and looked the other way.

24. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Over here, the sidewalk is public property.

25. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Sidewalks public in almost all 50 states I'm curious in which do you live Aliceacc where you have to personally pay for tge installation and maintenance of a sidewalk? So some houses have them and others don't - all on the same block?

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2010

Some of you guys mentioned this but in my original post I wrote that I did not mind when they were JUST playing in the water (although I did find it strange). The problem was when she touched my sprinkler head and turned it. I did not like that one bit, especially after all the work and money we put into my home. I do NOT want to risk another repair cost.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2010

In many jurisdictions, the sidewalk and parking strip are public property - but maintaining them is the responsibility of the homeowner.

I agree with Peachy: playing in the sprinkler is a little odd but not something to object to, while fiddling with the sprinkler head is NOT acceptable. Peachy is almost certainly not referring to a hose-end sprinkler that can be moved, but rather part of a permanently installed in-ground sprinkler system, and those can be fussier to aim and maintain than one might think.

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2010

Yes! Thank you. In retrospect, what I think she was trying to do was move it so that it would hit her and the kids more. At first I didn't get why, but now that is what I think she was trying to do so that they didn't have to run too much on my lawn. NOT a good idea. tsk tsk

Hmmm, some people.... :rolleyes:

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2010

Well, to give her credit, perhaps she was trying to spare your lawn a bit? Though, with the water on, that IS a bit silly.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

To the best of my knowledge, that's how it is here. That's why snowy walks have to be shoveled, and icy walks sanded or salted-- not as a courtesy but because of the insurance liability.

31. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Sep 10, 2010

That is REALLY weird. All I can think is that maybe they don't have sprinklers whereeverthey live and mom wanted her kids to experience it.

she also probably thought no one was home.

But still.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2010

Dancing in the sprinklers is fun but changing them a no no

I would Have pantomimed Dancing and said "Sí" and pantomimed turning the sprinkler and said "No!"

Did the kids speak English because many times the parent may not but the kids may have learn English in school
    in my younger days we would do an Arizona Chinese fire drill If sprinklers were on, you would jump out of the car at a light and run through them before the light changed
    In Arizona We look for broken sprinklers shooting into the street and drive under them and get a free car wash (rinse).