Hitting problems

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by luckypanda, Sep 28, 2010.

1. luckypanda

luckypanda Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

This is my first year as a teacher and I have about 4 to 5 kids in my preschool class of 23 who are constantly hitting, pushing, or being too rough with the other students. I really need help and advice on what to do to start eliminating this hitting problem. I have tried to talk to the students telling them to use their words not their hands, I have tried to take away minutes at recess, and sitting them by my aid. I just feel like none of these things are working! I am feeling very frustrated that nothing seems to be working! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :help: :help: :help:

3. kejadair

kejadair New Member

Sep 28, 2010

I teach 2 1/2 and 3's and I understand where you are coming from! (Terrible twos!) Anyway, my advice is to be consistent with one consequence. Make it clear that this what happens because of the choice they made. Get down on their level and speak firmly and clearly. If they are upset or mad, separate them and sit them down until they calm down, because they can't listen while they are upset.

Here's what works for me:

Student hits someone.

I immediately go first to the student who was hurt and make sure they are okay. This shows the hitter that they are not getting the attention that they want for their action.

Then I go to the student who hit. I get down on their level, and put my hands on their shoulders. I say, "You may NOT hit _________ (victim's name). Because you chose to hit, you have to sit in time-out for 3 minutes."

Then I sit them down in the time-out area. If they try to get up and leave, I sit them down again. If they scream and yell and throw a fit, I tell them that I will not start the timer until they sit quietly. I set my timer for 3 minutes.

After they sit for 3 minutes, I go back over to them and ask them, "Why did you have to sit down?" Once they tell me, I get them to tell me a better choice they could make next time, and then they must go apologize to the student they hurt before they can go play again.

This routine takes a good chunk out of your day the first couple weeks, but it works. We are 5 weeks into our school year, and I haven't had to sit anyone in time-out for 2 weeks now.

Good luck!

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 29, 2010

I like the series of books called "Best Behavior", they have a book called "Hands are Not for Hitting" which is fantastic. I read it to my students several times in the beginning of the year then I put a copy in our "safe spot". If somebody hits somebody else I try to have the offender "read" the book to the injured party. There are some more ideas on my classroom management page you may find helpful.

5. luckypanda

luckypanda Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

Thank you kejadair for your strategy. I will have to try it out and see if it works! You are right to say keep it consistent. Maybe I was trying too many different approaches.

Also, thank you vannapk! I will have to look into those books! :)

6. brightsky351

brightsky351 Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

Hi, I just read your thread. Here are a few suggestions I hope will be of some use to you.

* Assess your environment. How is your classroom organized? Do you have specific areas/ centers?

* How many students are allowed in each area/ center at a time? I have found that the number of students I allow in each area/ center depends on how the group functions as a whole. Usually 3-4 is a good number. Sometime keep the numbers even, 2-4. This way you won't have a "Third Wheel", which can spark problems.

* What is your school's policy for positive guidance strategies? Talk with your Director or other Teachers in your building and hopefully they can give you some helpful advice. Usually if two or more children are having anger issues they need to be separated from each other for a time.

* Sometimes anger issues with preschool aged children can be decreased by 1. room arrangement 2. Curriculum daily schedule 3. Implementation of a Developmentally Appropriate Guidance Techniques.

Good luck and I hope your have supportive co-workers and Leader.

7. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Oct 8, 2010

Hands are not for hitting is a great book! I love that book! It is really great for younger students.

I am wondering, are they hitting because they are mad or are they hitting because they are little and do not know how to communicate yet with other children? I know that in my 3's class they hit a lot but it is not out of anger as much as they just want attention from the other kids. In that situation it is really important to work on teaching them how to develop and maintain friendships. When we have children like this we tell them that hands are not for hitting and then we try, at various times, to give them gentle touches on the shoulder or the head. Kids need to learn what gentle means. Then we try and give them words they can use to help them make friends.

8. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

I have hitting problems with my 3 yr. olds and I was just told to use the phraze "friendly bodies, friendly hands". I don't know if it is going to work, but I guess a EEE teacher who came to 'observe' the classroom said that it would work. I like the example given just now about explaining things to the children and giving them new words to use, so that they learn what gentle means. I think I will try that this week....

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 13, 2010

brightsky has some great suggestions.