Hit by student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by agdamity, Nov 28, 2007.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 28, 2007

Sorry this is so long, but I have been struggling with this situation all week. I am looking for some feedback on what you would do if you were in my shoes. On Monday, I had a student (4th grader) explode for some unknown reason. He has had episodes like this before, but he crossed the line Monday. The room was silent, and I was standing next to him. All of a sudden, he stood up, kicked and broke my pocket chart stand, threw his chair over, and charged back at one of my girls and started arguing with her. I pushed the intercom for the office and rushed over to where he was. He drew his arm back to hit this girl, and I yelled at her to leave the room. He continued arguing, then punched the cement wall. Since this has happened before, I immediately asked my intern to get the rest of the kids out of the room. As the students were leaving, he grabbed another boy by the neck and began punching him. I managed to get the other boy away, but the first one then turned around and punched me in the arm. He hit me hard enough, that 2 days later, my arm is still sore. At this point, my assistant principal walked in and handled him from there. The resolution was that he was suspended for 5 days out of school, had he been 10 (his 10th birthday is in 3 weeks), he would have been expelled. My adminstration has had a meeting with his mother to put him in an alternative education class for behavior special needs (based on his history, it's obvious this child has issues that need professional help). If central office doesn't complete this placement before Tuesday, he is due to return to my room, but he will have a therapist with him, apparently. Had this happened 3 weeks later, he would be expelled, but because it didn't he can come back?!?! I really do not feel comfortable with him in my room, because he has crossed the line. There are no set patterns for when he will go off, and I do not feel my students are safe, nor do I feel I am safe. I know that, legally, I can push to have him removed permanently from my room. My question is this, should I push to do that, or wait and hope the ALE conference is held? What would you do if this was one of your students? I realize that he has issues, but we do not have a medical diagnosis, and I do not feel prepared to handle the special needs he has.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2007

If it happened in my room and he had a history of violent behavior I would push to have him removed, for your own safety and well as the other children.

4. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Nov 28, 2007

I agree. Push the safety issue of yourself and the other children. I believe that is more important than the rights of one dangerous child. I don't have my own children yet, but I imagine when I do, I would not want such a violent child in my child's room. The dangerous child clearly has needs beyond your control and it isn't fair that he isn't making learning possible and safe for the other children in your class. I hope this gets resolved. Keep us posted.

Can you press charges against the student?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2007

I agree with the other posters: have him removed if you can. If I was the parent of the girl he was going to hit or the boy that he punched, and found out he was allowed back into the room, I would furious and you know I would be in the principal's office every day until he was removed.

6. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Nov 28, 2007

Dang, only five days? Our school system is 10 days (5 days internal, 5 days out of school) for hitting another student, I can't even imagine what they would do if a student hit a teacher.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007

You should probably push to have him removed. If the conference is held, it maybe becomes a moot point, but I don't see how there's any downside. It's your duty not only to the other children and yourself, but also to this child to have him go to a place that can better serve his needs.

As a parent, I commend you for stepping in. There are teachers who would not have.

Superteacher, why do you ask if she can press charges? Technically, of course, she can't -- it's not up to her, it's up to the prosecutor whether to press charges, but she could report it to the police. Unless you mean opening a civil suit. I'm just curious what you think pressing charges might gain here. Are you thinking of her gaining a restraining order and using that to support removing the child from her classroom?

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 29, 2007

Thanks for all your responses! I was leaning towards what you all suggested, but it's nice to hear that others are on the same wavelength :) Unfortunately, my administration was out of the building today, and will be out tomorrow as well, so there's not much I can do until Monday.

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Nov 29, 2007

she CAN press charges. it's been done at my school before. however, i don't know what good it is either.

i would want that student out of my room immediately.

LC

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 29, 2007

I have had students LESS severe than this removed from my room! I would say N-O-W, now... because parents will be VERY concerned for their child's welfare. Some kids aren't hesitant to share with their families what's going on in a classroom. Perhaps also he can be EH... I'd say go to SST/504 Committee and make sure everything is documented in detail first.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 30, 2007

This kid should not be allowed back in the classroom! Our kids are guarranteed by law a free public education, and that is being compromised by a dangerous child. Maybe if you push for not having him back, it will bring more attention to the child's real needs - just going on as if nothing happened is just asking for a repeat of the situation if you ask me. And what if he is more violent next time and a student gets seriously injured? What if it had been on the playground where there is less supervision and it would take more time to get to the attacked child and stop the hitting? If he comes back to the class and someone gets seriously hurt, there is going to be a big problem. "You knew he was violent and let him back in class, now my son/daughter is in the hospital!"

12. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Nov 30, 2007

I don't know the law, I just thought that if someone was hit, they had the right to press charges. I think there are definitely grounds for a restraining order, yes, but hopefully it wouldn't take one to get the child removed from the classroom. I hope he was removed and the other children feel safe going to school.

13. peyton1

peyton1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2007

Also hit by a kid!

:help:I have been hit by a couple of students this year. I moved from 1st to 4th grade this year. I love fourth grade curriculum, but hate this fighting stuff!! One of the students had to go to an alternative school for the rest of the year because it left a bruise on my arm. The other student hit me while I was breaking up a fight, so he was suspended for 3 days. I broke up a fight today only because he was hitting another student in the face with his fists. I had to hold him by the collar to keep him from hitting me. He was paddled. You know hitting a child will keep him from hitting. Ha! We still have corporal punishment here even though I hate it! This is the same kid that kicked a chair the week before Thanksgiving because he was mad and it hit me in the knee. My knee was black and blue all week. Nothing happened because he did not intentionally hit me. Now you all know why I am on medicine for the panic attacks I was having at school. LOL

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 30, 2007

Wow! Does your school offer the Mandt training? It is for just such things as this - how to physically restrain a child so he doesn't hurt himself or you or anyone else.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 30, 2007

Yikes! Children that show this violent history need to be in a separate place or have a 1 on 1 aide. In my school we have just a few students who have violence issues. On the days there is not an aide I am very nervous and have had to break up a fights. Anything sets them off! I worry about the safety of the other students when the go off. I wish our school would do something more for the students' own protection and that of their classmates. I would be quite upset if I was hit (accidentally or not ) by a student! :(

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 30, 2007

You know, at my school we recently discussed how to handle the out of control student using our Love and Logic skills. The LL plan is to get a plan in place ahead of time. Let the office and the teacher across the hall know that next time this kid goes off, you are going to give the signal for everyone to line up and send the most responsible student you have to take the class to a pre-designated place - like maybe the library, so you would have to get the librarian in on it too. You let your responsible student know that you might need his assistance sometime to get the group out of the classroom and down the hall to the library. When the other kid starts to go off, you go to your #1 kid and say, "It's time." He gets up to the front of the line, you tell the class to line up and follow Johnny, then you go with the kids and leave the tantrum in the room. The teacher across the hall steps into the hall to keep an eye on tantrum and her own class. You have another student who is ready to go to the office and tell the principal he is needed in your room.

Usually the tantrum/violence is an attempt to control the class and you! If you remove the audience, there is no more point in the tantrum. The principal, a neutral party, can come in and deal with the emotional outburst. The key is to get everyone prepared ahead of time and on your bandwagon. We have a couple teachers here who have about 70 years of experience between them who have used L&L and swear that this action will totally burst the bubble of Mr. Tantrum. I know it sounds involved, but imagine if it worked to curb the violence?

Of course, I have already stated and firmly believe that this kid doesn't belong back in your room. But in case they do put him in . . . . this could work. Because it is only a matter of time before another outburst. I actually tried this method accidentally and it was just amazing.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2007

You tried this method accidentally?

How did that work? :lol:

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 30, 2007

I know it sounds crazy!

I had a child throw a super tantrum, kicking, screaming, wailing, slamming, throwing things. It was lunch time! So I just lined everyone up, and off they went. They go only a short distance and I knew there was an adult waiting for them, so I stood in the hallway and the tantrum ended within minutes of the audience leaving the room! The child came out on her own and went to lunch - end of issue!

I almost gave myself an award for doing something right without knowing it!

19. peyton1

peyton1 Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

Most aren't tantrums

Most of the disruptions in my class are not tantrums, but all out fist fights. We have calmed the situation a lot. At the beginning of the year, the other kids would jump in too! EEKK!! I do use a self-manager program for my students. It's working well for some. We do have a plan where everyone leaves the room and the security officer comes up and breaks up most fights, but the times I was hit I had to because the other student was getting hurt. I think a lot of the fights are because I have some very old children in my class. One will turn 13 in February!!!