Hit and Run- long vent and ?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SandyCastles, Aug 1, 2009.

1. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Let me preface this by saying that my car has been hit before, by my neighbor. About two years ago she backed into it and I had to have the door replaced. She owned up to it, though, so I didn't have to pay anything.

Today, my car was parked in the same spot that it was parked in when she hit it (parking is limited here- and I didn't want to park under a tree because we had big storms yesterday). I got into it this morning to go to the post office to mail an application. It is a one minute drive, and I was in the p.o. for less than a minute. No one was parked in the spot next to me when I got there, or when I came out. I was the third spot in (car, no car, me). I saw a HUGE dent right above the driver side front tire, and thought PLEASE DON'T BE MINE. Of course, it was. There is no way it could have been done with a door. The first thing I thought was that my neighbor did it, so I just went home and called the police.

They came and checked everything out, I told them that it has happened before, etc, etc... The officer was very nice. She even offered to check my neighbor's car out to see if there were any scratches or dents on it. There aren't any. So that means it SOMEHOW happened in less than a minute in the parking lot. And some idiot didn't leave any information. Seriously now, if you hit a car, take responsibility!!! I really don't know how it happened there.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I have a $500 deductible and no job. It is right above the tire and I don't know if the tire is okay or not. I tried to call the auto body shop that I used last time but they are closed today. Is my insurance going to rise because of this doofus? :dizzy:

3. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

I'm so sorry. I have been in this situation and unfortunately had to pay my ridiculous deductable because idiots can't take ownership for their stupidness.
    I'm sorry that this happened to you! I wll be praying for you.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

I have been hit twice and both times I have gone through my insurance for repairs. My insurance has never gone up. I assumed that maybe that was because it wasn't my fault.

5. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I am hoping that it doesn't go up. I mean how can it be my fault if I wasn't even in my car. I am going to see how much it costs to fix without it first, then I will call the insurance. If it is less than $500 then I won't even bother.. they might just be able to pop it out and buff it or something. But if they have to replace the panel, I'll call the insurance. Soooo aggravating- all to mail a job application!

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

My friend just had this happen & her insurance told her that she didn't have to pay the full deductible due to it being a hit and run... perhaps yours is this way too?

I had the same thing happen to me on the first night in my townhouse. They never owned up to it.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Have you thought of contacting the post office. They may have had a security camera set up outside...

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

I was hit over Christmas and it was covered under my policy no problem-I also didn't have to pay the full deductible-can't remember what that's called, but it's a part of the policy-not collision but something else. It will help speed things up that you have a police report. What a pain! Sorry you're having to deal with this.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

I had a car hit me before, but I luckily wasn't very far away and saw it happen. I ran into the street and got their license plate number. I couldn't believe they had the nerve to drive away when I was standing at the front door of a house.

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I've been hit five (yes, FIVE times!) while parked over the last three years. My aunt hit my car twice, then her neighbor hit it, and two other occasions while I was in parking lots. My luck is ridiculous! You did the best thing by filing the police report. With that in hand, your insurance shouldn't go up.

11. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks everybody, I am more cooled off now but I still can't believe someone would drive off instead of leaving a note. Or waiting a couple minutes for someone to come out of a store. I am just happy that I didn't bring my dog with me, I was going to take him for a ride afterwards but decided to go back home for him at the last second. While it probably wasn't a hard it, it would have jostled him around enough. And my goodness, mrs100, five times!!! I hope I don't have your luck! Two in two years is more than enough for me. I didn't think about asking at the post office. I am sure I'll have more applications to mail on Monday so I'll ask them if anybody mentioned anything. It definitely doesn't hurt to check!
    KinderCowgirl- are you thinking of uninsured/underinsured? I read somewhere that that sometimes covers it.
    It would be fantastic to not pay the full deductible.. I am also worried about the premium going up. The officer said that it is not supposed to "but we all know that doesn't mean it won't." It jumped by $60 a MONTH when I moved from NH to CT and I don't want to pay any higher!

12. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

That happened to me in the Target parking lot last year--someone smashed my car to the point I couldn't open my driver's side door and just took off! I went inside and asked to see their surveillance cameras and (of course) they don't even face their parking lots! They told me they only face the store front. Why?? My deductible was only $250, but my insurance went WAY up after because it was $1200 to fix it! Hopefully someone decides to own up to it! Good luck!

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

My parked vehicle has been backed into/ hit four times. Insurance wise it was never worth it to fix and just too expensive out of pocket. All in all I am just glad no one was hurt.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2009

Wow, that's really annoying!!!!

Many years ago, an idiot with his idiot friends were on a joyride and smacked right into my car because he wasn't looking where he was going. Hit me pretty hard and banged up my whole left side of my care. I got out and he kept saying everything's alright. Everything's alright. I said, no, everything is NOT alright. You just hit me. He looked at his friends, smirked and took off!! Thanks GOODNESS two passing motorists witnessed the whole incident and got the license plate number. My insurance ONLY covered the repair cost because we had the license plate number. Otherwise, it would have been from my own pockets. Oh, and the kids were never in trouble because the car didn't belong to them. Belonged to someone who lives in Texas. They never found the kids address. :(

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2009

Now that almost everyone has a cell phone with a camera, we have to remember to take pictures right away after an accident even when the other person says it is their fault and there are witness...

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I had a guy slip on ice behind me put a nice dent in my bummer a few years ago. We pulled over to talk about it, but it was pitch dark and in a major intersection. We agreed to pull up to a gas station on the corner-I turned into the parking lot.... and the guy kept going. Sigh. I'm an idiot. I should have taken a picture of his license plate before driving up.

It's so sad that there is NO consequence for people who drive away.