History Teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Soccer Dad, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 2, 2010

First, let me start off by reviewing NYS' History guidelines... 9th Grade = World History I, 10th Grade = World History II, 11th Grade = American History, 12th Grade = 1/2 Economics, 1/2 Participation in Government.

Well, my school has been taken an interesting take on those guidelines. Currently, we do: 9th Grade = World History I (Honors, and AP Avail), 10th Grade = World History (Honors, and AP Euro. Avail) AND U.S. History I, then 11th Grade = U.S. History II (Honors, and AP Avail).

My problem with this is that not only does it go against state guidelines, but it gets really confusing for students to learn World History and U.S. History at the same time. I mean it enables parallels (age of exploration in world correlates with the beginning of U.S. History). Anyway, the wording in the curriculum is vague, but is this even allowed? I ask because we're rewriting the curriculum for next year's classes and I wanted to bring this up...

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 2, 2010

Well, I'm not from New York, but ran into this at our school last year BEFORE we put a sequence into place. Outside of a required US History course for juniors, and a required Government course (anywhere), there was no set framework for when kids had to take which courses.

Thus, we had students in World History, and Modern American History at the same time. It was messy, and confusing. We've tried to fix it, but we're in cleanup mode this year, and still have some kids taking part of World History along with US History. The strong students do okay with it, but the lower students really mix up the two.

That said, our sequence is as follows:
    9th: Geography or World History I/II (Ancient-Medieval)
    10th: Government & World History III/IV (Modern-20th Century)
    11th: US History - Colonization to 1945
    12th: (Optional) US History from 1945 - Present, Other Electives

We just formally implemented this sequence this year, and I'm hopeful that it will work out well for our students.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

Massachusetts only requires that students take at least two years in US History. Anyways our sequence next year will be:

6th grade: Geography
    7th grade: Ancient Civ.
    8th grade: Western Civ. I
    9th grade: Western Civ. 2 (Electives: Asian History)
    10th grade: US History I (Electives: Asian History and Economics)
    11th grade: US History II or AP US History (Electives: Asian Studies, Economics, Law and Civil Liberties and Rights)
    12th grade: Optional-AP European History or Electives: Asian History, Economics, Law, Civil Liberties and Rights, AP US Government, Psychology, Sociology, or Ethics.

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Feb 4, 2010

Geography (1 year), World History (1 year), IL History (1/2 year), Economics (1/2 year), Street Law (1/2 year), and Sociology (1/2 year) are all electives. Students need at least one of those.

Students are required to take US History/Government to 1865 their junior year, and then US History 1865-Present their senior year.

6. JerLon

JerLon Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

I've never seen a school get away with what you're describing. Every school in NY that I have been in (around ten between teaching, student teaching, observing, and as a student) have been:

9 - Global I (Beginning through about French Rev)
    10 - Global II (French Rev through Modern)
    11 - US
    12 - 1/2 PIG, 1/2 ECON

I have seen a couple school do:

9 - Geography
    10 - ALL of Global
    11 - US
    12 - 1/2 PIG, 1/2 ECON

Alternatively, some schools (in order to offer AP in 12th) will offer students ECON in the summer and then 12th is AP Gov't and Politics.

Look into some of the reg's regarding seat time prior to taking the Regents exams. For instance, students must have had two years of Global before sitting for that exam. The state doesn't mandate that courses can't be doubled up but it certainly makes it very awkward and difficult if students transfer out of your school to ANY other school in NY that completes the normal sequence.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

Just curious: As a public school, your kids take Regents Exams, right?

How do they tend to do?

My school, as a private school, doesn't give Regents. We do:
    9th: Global
    10th: Euro
    11th: American up to the Civil War
    12th: American, from Reconstruction to present day.

8. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

We do:

Global Regents in 10th
    U.S. Regents in 11th

But it gets very confusing to be learning American in 10th grade along with global history...

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

I can only imagine!!!

What's the reasoning for the way you do it, or is it simply because "that's how we do it"??

10. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

The idea was that American History should be taught two years, not one. However, it's been done as one year since the 80s. Obviously, it can be done. I agree that it's better over two years, but that's not what the State calls for--and, I won't go too far into it, but the Regents is a joke to compensate for only one year's worth of history.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

No argument here.

12. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I still continue to be surprised at the number of school districts that either don't offer Euro or don't mandate that the students take Euro/World. There are so many students out there that have no clue about Marcus Aurelius, Ghengis Khan, Greeks, Romans, Hannibal, etc. How can you understand American democracy if you don't understand the Greeks and the Romans?

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 11, 2010

Ugh. Interesting timing of this discussion, as we recommend, but don't require, World History (which I personally teach from a Western Civilization perspective, but that's neither here nor there).

I actually proposed to our school board this past week an increase in our graduation requirements for social studies, from 2.5 credits to 3 credits, and to thus require World History along with our current requirement of Government and American History. I was astonishingly disappointed to be rejected. I was told by two members of our board that "that sort of thing just isn't as relevant anymore, let the kids take more electives".

I attempted to make the point that we as a society have generally agreed on a core set of ideas that we want most kids to have. In response to this, I was told "well maybe those core ideas are out of date". I quickly realized I was fighting a losing battle, and shut up. We recommend our kids take World History, but cannot mandate it.

14. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

In kentucky, my school has:

9th-Global Issues (honors and reg) we are revamping this to make it truly GLOBAL
    10th-World Civilizations (Renaissance to WW1/2) (AP/Reg)
    11th-US History (WW1/2 to present) (AP/Reg)

Only required 3 years..many going to college will take the following senior year or along with above listed:
    Gov, AP Gov, AP Euro

15. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

Feb 13, 2010

Texas History HS Courses

In Texas, the high school history classes are as follows:

9th Grade: World Geography
    10th Grade: World History
    11th Grade: U.S. History
    12th Grade: 1/2 credit Government 1/2 credit Economics

We had a couple of gentlemen/coaches teaching freshman W. Geography, and this year's seniors know basically no geography. Not only am I teaching government, but I am covering basic geography. This is ugly, but I am glad they are now with other school districts.:sorry:

16. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Feb 13, 2010

I'm not sure if that is allowed. However, when I was looking for a job two years ago I did interview at a 7-12 public school in NYC that had their social studies curriculum set up as so:
    6th - Ancient Civ.
    7th - US History from beginning to Reconstruction
    8th - US history from Reconstruction (a review) to Present Day
    9th - US history all over again and then they would take the Regents
    10th - First part of Global
    11th - Second Part of Global and then the Global Regents
    12th - was I believe government and economics.

The thinking behind doing this was so that the kids would still have US history in their minds from 7th and 8th so why make them wait two years and then relearn it all just to take the regents.

So saying all that maybe it is something that can be done.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2010

Are you saying that they take 2 full credits of Social Studies in 10th grade? or is it half and half? And do they get to take pig/eco in 12th....I feel like that is the most important ss I learned and find useful in my day to day life.

18. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 14, 2010

I brought it up at the meeting on Friday. Nothing was accomplished. Rather, we now are contemplating adding U.S. History to 9th grade (so it would run 7-8-9) and Ancient World to 10th and Modern to 11th.

Reasoning: http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/socst/pub/sscore2.pdf

Notice, there are no grade levels typed out when discussing the world history and U.S. history curriculum. However, towards the end of the document, it states the 12th grade curriculum. But what annoys me is that when reading the goals for middle school, it alludes to greater depth of topics being taught in 11th.

I personally feel U.S. should be a year and half like the old math curriculum.