History Teachers--Please Review!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Soccer Dad, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

I literally just finished planning my first unit for this school year (which... uh... begins tomorrow). All summer I've been working on planning my units and I decided yesterday to switch the order up which meant making the materials for something I originally planned to teach in late October, now.

As I've said on here before, I'm both nervous and excited to teach my global studies classes this year regionally instead of chronologically. However, this is my first year doing so and would like some advice/input.

I've uploaded all my documents for my first unit--Africa--on my class website. However, I couldn't get my scanner to work so the majority of the articles that I will be using aren't uploaded, but the worksheets for those articles are. Additionally, I do something called "Grade-Boosters," which are creative assignments. However, I didn't make them up yet because I think I've already created too much work for them to handle (although it is an honors level class).

I know there's a lot to sort through on my site and most of it doesn't make sense without the attached articles, but if anyone has any comments, suggestions, etc. for me, please leave them!

http://hallowellhistoryny.wikispaces.com/Global+Studies+I

(Oh, and I still have to fix my syllabus because I just realized it mentions the old curriculum... whoops!)

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 6, 2010

I really like your approach and I think it will make sense to your students. Your worksheets are great!!

So is this a Global Studies course or is it World History course? Were you directed to change the way you were teaching the course or was it something new you wanted to try? How will you address Europe? In regions? I am VERY interested in how this works out for you. I have taught World History for 16 years and would love a new approach for my students and for me :)

BTW - from something you posted on a different thread - I LOATHE teaching the French Revolution :)

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 6, 2010

Also, I could completely follow your course of instruction without the primary sources and additional readings which I think validates your coverage of African history.

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

Thanks for feedback!

Ehh, it's technically called "Global History and Geography" by the state of NY. I call it Global Studies because it's... well... Global Studies. Last year, it was highly recommended (and now enforced) that we go back to teaching regionally like the old curriculum from the '70s-'80s. What's actually funny is that I used to teach it chronologically back when it was supposed to be regionally and now I'm teaching it regionally when the state really wants chronological. In 9th grade, we cover the Eastern World and Latin America. In 10th grade, we start with Greece and go to the end of the Cold War in Europe. I thought I'd HATE teaching it this way but so far it's been a lot of fun. I feel like it'll be so much easier to make connections between the past and the present and truly see how a civilization evolves and that's just from creating the worksheets!

I'll definitely let you know how the first two units go. (It'll probably take me some time to get used to teaching it this way so hopefully by the time we get to the Middle East--our next and my favorite unit to make connections with--I'll have it down.)

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

looks great! I just touch on Africa with my sixth graders but your resources are wonderful!

Soccerdad and INTeacher if you could help.. I have a thread on civil war ..I would love your ideas !!!

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Looks good. One thing I might suggest that I do on my unit sheets... I place a unit schedule on there, with an outline of the due dates for each reading, homework, and major test. Of course, it's subject to change, but I'm usually on track for most units. The kids seem to have liked this, and helps keep some organized. That said, if your dates end up being more flexible, that may not work.

As for the regional approach, I am very interested in how this works out for you this year. I tried it once a few years ago, but now our curriculum isn't designed that way anymore, as we have a 4 semester set of courses (Ancient, Medieval, Modern, and 20th Century History), thus we're locked into a chronological approach. I supported the switch at the time, so will be interested to see your results.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

Looks great. Love the worksheets. I envy you that you have a good text. I have to make so many of my own readings (not just primary sources). If you email me Chris I can send you a a sample unit planner I give to my kids (but it's for a course I've taught for 20 years).

And Lynn...I love teaching the French Revolution.

I love the syllabus take home quiz. Then I would only have to go over the high points in-class.....

I'm kind of sick of dealing with two of new people in my department....anyone want a new job?

9. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 7, 2010

I'm rushing out the door now, but Ron: I plan on doing a schedule for my next unit--I'm not sure how pacing will work out this way yet.

Brendan: I actually found a lot of articles I had from when I just started teaching and decided to use them again. I had a ridiculous amount saved on Apartheid from when I just started teaching. Also, Barron's makes this great review book on Global Studies from the '90s that I've been using. For a few assignments, however, the textbook isn't too bad. It's actually a decent text--just not for honors level kids.

And Brendan, if only you had that opening 25 years ago--I'm on the verge of retiring here in NY!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

Ohhh, Brenden, I would love to come work up there with you! Too bad I'm stuck here in TX.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 7, 2010

If I taught History......

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 7, 2010

Would be interesting teaching history with you, Brendan... but I don't think I can afford the commute.

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

In Mass? This would be Sawx territory right? I better pass :p

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Your site looks great so far. I teach a similar World Geo course, but focus mainly on the human geography and culture aspect. I might be borrowing some of your stuff in the future- thanks!!

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2010

Thanks for posting this. I hope to, one day, be a high school history teacher. We'll see...