History - Revolutionary War on The Military Channel

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Major, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

There is a great series on the Revolutionary War on the Military Channel today. I think it repeats into the evening and most of the night. I've seen it before. Watch it if you can.

Enjoy
    Major........:)

12:00 pm

(60 minutes) The Revolutionary War
    Rebels and Redcoats
    TV-PG, CC

With the British government two months away by sea, the American colonies operated with great freedom. But the imposition of a tax on the colonies sparked protests that escalated into revolution.

1:00 pm

Independence
    TV-PG, CC

Under the leadership of George Washington, the American Army had early success driving the British from Boston. But as the war progressed the Americans met with resounding defeat in New York.

2:00 pm

Misfortunes of War
    TV-PG, CC

The British plan for the summer of 1777 was to cut New England off from her less rebellious neighbors. American success in thwarting this strategy convinced France and Spain to back the rebels.

3:00 pm

A War Without End
    TV-PG, CC

The years 1778 and 1779 featured profiteering on the homefront, the growth of the American Navy, and Spain's entrance into the French-American alliance.

4:00 pm

The Dark Days
    TV-PG, CC

The young nation faced trying times in 1780, as the British invaded the South, Savannah fell to the British, Benedict Arnold committed treason, and civilians experienced great hardships.

5:00 pm

A Harvest of Victory
    TV-PG, CC

The United States struggled to form itself in the years from 1781 to 1783, as Congress pacified mutineers with cannons, Congress signed the Articles of Confederation, and Washington kept the Army together

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

Hi Folks....... the Revolutionary War is actually more important than "what color should I paint my toenails"......

Makes you wonder.....:lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding...... It's just that I sometimes wonder what people think about on July 4th.......

Major......:):):)

4. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 4, 2009

thx. i love history.

5. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Major- I watched it. I would like to order the series to have.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Glad you enjoyed it, Dee.:):) I've seen it twice now. I have no idea what they cost.......

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Dang it! I just opened this today. I told my youngest son and he almost hurt himself getting the remote. Then I saw it was yesterday.

I hope they re-air it soon.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

I just looked and they re-aired it this morning but it is done now.

ETA -Looks like they are re-airing all but the last one on the 11th and 17th.

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Lemon, is your son interested the American Revolution? The only high school subject I teach is advanced math..... but I would love to teach American history. But my favorite age group now is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade..... And that's amazing because before I started my "teaching career" (about 4 yrs ago) I had never spent any significant time with kids before.....:p:p

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2009

My husband and son LOVED that show when it aired last time.

Yesterday it actually stopped raining long enough for a BBQ and some pool time, so the TV was off all day.

And I agree Major, I would love to teach history-- especially 20th century history!

My 11 year old, if he changes his mind on the whole "should I join the Air Force or become a chef?" question, should probably teach history. He's fascinated by it, particularly military history.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Yes, he is interested in anything history related. He went crazy at the Alamo the other weekend and could give you an ear full. He listens to stories my dad tells of WWII, over and over again. He'll watch the History Channel, NatGeo, and Military Channel sprinkled with SpongeBob here and there. And then he doesn't stop talking about it. He is 10 but he can "handle" a lot of the reality of it all.

The unfortunate thing is he doesn't really like to read. :confused: I wish I could get him absorbed in some good books relating to anything history.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Sounds like a great kid, Lemon. I've always been intensely interested in the Alamo... and the Texas Revolution. Who knows..... maybe I was there......:p:p:p

I'm almost sure before the Alamo I was one of the original mountain men in Colorado in the early 1800's.......:lol::lol: