History Movies

Discussion in 'High School' started by jbj913, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jbj913

jbj913 Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

Anyone know any good movies to show to enhance historical subjects or themes?
    I'm not just looking for movies based on specific historic, but also movies that examine historical themes/philosophies.

For example, I have:

Glory for Civil War
    The Name of the Rose for Middle Ages, Inquisition, monasticism

V for Vendetta for a glimpse on fighting totalitarianism.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 29, 2008

Remember the Titans is a good movie showing the aspects of Feudalism.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 29, 2008

One of the best WWII movies I show that all my students love is Saints and Soliders. The movie takes place during the Battle of the Bulge with some allies caught behind enemy lines.

I have shown Martin Luther, the latest one, and my kids really enjoyed it. We watched Elizabeth the Golden Age at my last movie night since it was rated PG unlike Elizabeth. I have also shown during my movie night; Hotel Rawanda, One Dry Season, A Man for All Seasons, The Best Years of their Lives, and many more that I can't remember.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 29, 2008

Hotel Rwanda I use as a comparison to the Holocaust.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 1, 2008

Brendan, our kids LOVE Hotel Rwanda, too. They are very moved by it.

Thirteen Days is great to show about the Cuban Missile Crisis or just to show aspects of the Cold War in general.

7. BeachTeach07

BeachTeach07 Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

I showed The Patriot after our Revolutionary War unit. I am getting ready to show Glory and I also showed a few clips from Ken Burns' PBS series The Civil War. I used them to kind of sum up the day's lessons.
    I also might show, A Long Walk Home starring Whoppi Goldburg when we reach the Civil Rights Movement.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 1, 2008

Gone With the Wind
    Cold Mountain

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 1, 2008

I also show A Long Walk Home. It is an incredibly moving movie adn I think my students really "get" that the civil rights movement was accomplished by people everywhere doing their best to make change one person, one moment and one protest at a time. I LOVE this movie.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 1, 2008

INteacher did you ever get a chance to respond to my email?

11. kkatz

kkatz New Member

Mar 1, 2008

1776 -- a musical about the signing of the declaration

All Quiet on the Western Front - very old, pick 15 minute segments, great way to show the human side of war...

Cinderalla Man -- an excellent portrayal of the great depression.

my advice to always have them doing something with the movie... answering questions, writing an essay... and interject when necessary

12. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Mar 9, 2008

I'm a huge fan of showing clips of movies to highlight points made in class.

The Killing Fields (pol pot, genocide, mind control)
    The Last Samurai (meiji restoration)
    Hotel Rwanda (as stated in this thread.... amazing movie)
    Roots, part I (manhood training)
    Biko (Apartheid)

Always with a video guide... or a comparison chart.

13. live2ridemx417

live2ridemx417 Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

That is an unbelievable movie! Hearts and Minds is an excellent documentary of the Vietnam war. Gangs of New York, Glory, and Saving Private Ryan could also demonstrate historical concepts well.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

Are you allowed to show R-rated movies? In our district we can't even show clips. It stinks. :(

Anyway, Gangs of New York provides a great depiction of life for the Irish when they started coming here.

Caligula is an excellent (and fairly accurate) portrayal of the debauchery of ancient Rome. It stars some very famous, highly-respected actors like Peter O'Toole and Helen Mirren. It's also rated X and produced by Penthouse. Weird, huh?

Rome, the HBO series, is also fantastic. As is The Tudors, the Showtime series about King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I can't show R rated movies either and my admin is VERY strict about adhering to the policy. I hate movies like Elizabeth where there are two sex scenes that mean NOTHING to the plot of the movie and gives the movie a R rating. I know that movies these days must almost be rated R to guarantee success at the box office but I really wish some company would come along that could issue these great R movies into movies that could be shown in the classroom.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

I agree!

I've heard about certain religious groups editing movies to make them more family-friendly. In my Cassie life, I hate this sort of practice because I think censoring someone else's artistic endeavors is wrong; in my Mrs. DM teacher life, I think it's a fantastic idea. The only problem is that I've never been able to get my hands on any such edited film.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 22, 2008

We can show up to PG-13 without a permission slip and R with a permission slip.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I can't show R movies at all even with a permission slip. I tried to get around this policy by showing movies after school with permission slips, but admin still would not let me show anything R rated. It really stinks!!

Cassie, I do have an edited movie version of Glory. Pepsi edited it for educational purposes. This summer I plann on really searching for edited movies I can show. And I totally agree with you about the censorship of movies - my teacher self knows these movies would really be valuable edcuationally at the same time knowing censorship is a slipperly slope.

19. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Mar 22, 2008

We can't show movies. We can show clips, but we aren't allowed to show a full-length movie. When I do Romeo and Juliet I show one scene in three different versions. I would love to show the entire modern version after we finish reading the play, but I am not allowed (not that I can afford to give up a full class period for it.)

All that said, there are a lot of teachers that ignore the rule & do nothing but show movies. :|

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

That's why I have my "History Film Club" after school. I have been showing movies after school for about three years and I usually have about 15 kids show up on average. Some kids show up and aren't even in my history classes :) We always write something afterwards even though IT ISN"T FOR A GRADE :) and the kids really write and put thought into their answers. :2up:

21. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Hmmm maybe I'll do something like that after we finish R&J. After showing the one clip from the modern version, the classes always want to see the whole thing. I could even make popcorn.:rolleyes:

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

That's the only way I was able to get kids to start coming to my after school movies - food, drinks and popcorn :haha: But seriously, it is one of my favorite things now and I know my kids love when they ask coaches if they can leave early from practice to watch "To Kill a King" :haha:

23. KatieJ

KatieJ Rookie

Mar 23, 2008

There's a website for a company that edits movies and makes them "family friendly." I don't know if it'll help in the dilemma if the district is strict.

Since I'm a new member I can't post the link... but it's Cleanflicks . com

24. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Mar 23, 2008

I've shown National Treasure, Glory, 1776, Sahara, Night at the Museum. My students tend to like the "real" movies (meaning movies that they would actually go see in the theater) that have historical themes.

25. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

I showed 1776 last year but the majority of my students had a difficult time appreciating the content because it was an older musical.

When I can get back into teaching the content I plan on showing it again.

"Gettysburg" would be good. I saw a great program on the History channel that I recorded somewhere on a blank tape on "Sherman's March to Sea."

26. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

What a great club! Did you start it, or did students?
    Also.... do you let the students pick movies... or do you pick them?

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

I started it because I could never justify to myself using so much class time to show these REALLY great movies. I also read the idea in a book written by a history teacher. So, I started showing movies after school. It took awhile for me to creating a following but like I said I usually have at least 15 every time and many times much more than. I allow anyone in my current world history and past world history students to attend. I do pick the movies but I do take suggestions from my students. They always have a short writing assignment. It's not even for a grade and they still do it :).
    Some of the movies I have shown - Martin Luther, Saints and Soliders, Oliver Twist, A Man for All Seasons, The Longest Day, Joan of Arc, To Live, To Kill a King, Hotel Rwanda, A Dry Season, and many more I can't think of now. I allow the kids to bring in snacks and drink and I bring the popcorn. I really enjoy the movies and talking history with the kids when the movie is over. That's the best part for me.

28. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

It's great that you have students who are excited to use their personal time to stay behind to not only watch movies, but write and discuss further about history. This type of following provides us with those "ah-ha" moments that remind us why we became teachers.

This is an activity I would like to begin once my current long-term sub. position is over and I get back into the Social Studies content arena.

29. jbj913

jbj913 Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

What do you think of To Kill A King? I saw it the other day and wondered about its worth. I find the English Civil War era very interesting.

30. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Hi!! This is my first post :)

I'm hoping to graduate with a double major in Social Studies and History with a minor in education (thats how the state of Ohio does it--not sure if any other state does it like us), but, here are my in put on a few movies that I remember watching:

With regards to the Holocaust, the BEST movie IMHO to describe how the concentration camps were operated is called The Last Day(s)<--I can't remember if it has the 's' or not. Its from 1998 (so its fairly recent) and it is such an eye opener.

In American History, when we were covering the American's moving out west, we watched Far and Away.

When I took a course that dealt with the legal system (not government though, I forgot the name) we watched Dead Man Walking. Even though I believe it is rated R, permission slips were required.

I hope some of this helps.