History in the Movies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by megawinn, Nov 3, 2010.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Nov 3, 2010

Currently I am beginning a unit on Ancient Empires of China, India, and Southwest Asia. I want to plan a lesson on history in the movies. For example, Mulan could be used to illustrate ideas from Confucianism. Any other ideas?

Thanks! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2010

My all time favorite: Gone With the Wind. It's a great look at the Civil War and Reconstruction.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 3, 2010

"Guilty by Suspicion" (1991) (PG-13) - Outstanding movie that shows the impact of the actions of the House Committee on Un-American Activities, the "McCarthyism"/Red Scare of the 1950s with Robert De Niro and Annette Bening.

If you're talking about films beyond Ancient Empires, here's one or two that I think are excellent.

Even though it is a PG-13, De Niro throws around some language, so I guess it depends upon how realistic/intense a film you're looking for, the nature of your school, etc..

I know our AP History teacher regularly uses "Thirteen Days" (Kevin Costner) to cover the Cuban Missile Crisis. In interviews, the actual participants in the Kennedy Administration who were apart of this event have said that the movie is VERY historically accurate.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2010

And I love all the details in Apollo 13-- the slide rules and cigarettes.

But another look at the Apollo program was HBO's series From the Earth to the Moon. It was incredibly well done!!!!

And of course, there's All the Presiden'ts Men for the whole unraveling of Watergate.

And Frost/ Nixon for a different look at the end of the Nixon Presidency.

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 3, 2010

There's an old mini-series called Shogun that covers ancient Japan quite well, but I'm not sure that you can find it anymore.

7. magister

magister Rookie

Nov 8, 2010

I showed Thirteen Days to my 8th graders last year for our Cuban Missile Crisis studies (of course). Good flick, just be careful on the language.
    I screened it beforehand but missed one teensy-tiny "F#@K" uttered by Kevin Costner late in the film. I said to the class, "Oops, missed that one." Fortunately received no blowback from parents.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 8, 2010

"Anne of 1000 Days", about Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII. My 10th grade history teacher showed it. It's the only time I watched it and there are still scenes I can recite word for word.