History Alive

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sue35, Jul 7, 2012.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

Anyone use it? Do you use the book, the online part, the student online part, etc?

I am thinking about trying it for either 7th or 8th grade.

3. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

I love History Alive! We used the older version, so there were no online components. We used textbooks, student interactive notebooks, and the teacher resource kits.

It's my favorite Social Studies program by far! I think the textbooks are way more accessible for struggling readers, and the experiential activities are a blast.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I've never used the whole program but I have used pieces of the program. My students love the pieces that I have used and these were some of the best lessons with the most long term retention.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 8, 2012

Mopar, did you borrow pieces from other teachers or did you have a subscription? A teacher subscription is $181 so I am trying to see if it is worth it. Thanks!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2012

I borrowed pieces from other teachers. I wasn't going to pay full price because I only taught one history class. If I taught history all day, I think I would have paid for it.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2012

It is easily the best pre-built, packaged program for teaching social studies there is. I have not used the online stuff (didn't even know they added it) but I do have the textbooks and materials on CD. I really only use 3 or 4 activities from them throughout the year but that is 3 or 4 more than I use from anything else (and I've used pieces of other activities as well I must say.)

The best thing about it, frankly, is the philosophy behind it. As mopar said, kids will remember this stuff. It is participatory in a way no other social studies program is and that just plain works.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

I think I might try it for 7th grade and then 8th grade I will rely on a lot of things from your website, Rockguykev. I am nervous because this is a big change for me, coming from 5/6 Science. I am also coming from taking a year off for my health so hopefully everything goes smoothly. Thank you all!

9. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 9, 2012

We use it in 4th grade! I enjoy the activities it has, but of course don't use everything. We use their online activities in addition to the textbook. I like the note-taking aspect as well as an activity to learn the material, although I often change it up a little. The kids learn the material and tend to remember it because they have fun.

10. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 9, 2012

Where do you get it from?

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

Many teachers in my building really like it, but we can't use it in fourth grade because the series covers regions of the US and in Ohio 4th is all about state history.