Historical Fiction

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Upsadaisy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2008

What is you favorite historical fiction book for either read-aloud or literature groups? What grades could it be used for? :thanks:

3. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

Pink and Say.... 4th Grade

Sarah Plain and Tall .... 3rd grade

The King's Equal ... 4th grade

I've heard Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and Ramona books were going to be considered historical fiction because there isn't modern technology presented (microwave, cell phone, computers...)

4. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

hmm...I don't teach the read a long age, but as a kid I liked the American Girl series.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

Number the Stars. My students loved this book! I love this book, so I'm really glad they enjoyed it. We were able to have some great discussions about the book.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I use The Sign of the Beaver and Danger Along the Ohio in fourth, but I think 3rd - 5th grade would be appropriate.

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

So many...it is hard to choose, and my top two have already been mentioned! :) Both are a 4th grade reading level (I think), but are perfect for 5th graders at concept and comprehension levels. :) Both are great historically, and lead to lots of meaningful discussion!

Absolutely love Number the Stars, and so do my kids!

Sign of the Beaver is a great one, too. It takes place right after the French and Indian War, as far as I can tell. In addition to the historical content, it is a great book about self-reliance, tolerance and understanding, and loyalty and friendship. We also read My Side of the Mountain, and Sign of the Beaver is a great book to use to draw parrallels between the two main characters of these outstanding books. Both main characters are alone in the wilderness, but have totally different reasons for being there and have totally different skills for survival. They share many similarities, also, but it is their differences that make for an interesting study and lots of neat discussions. :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2008

I do a unit on WWII and use Number the Stars and also Lily's Crossing. Both have female main characters, take place during the same time period. Number the Stars takes place in Denmark, and Lily's Crossing takes place on Long Island.

I've used all the others mentioned above except for Danger Along the Ohio. When is that set?

Any recommended books for the early 1800s and the Civil War time periods?

9. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I loved "Once Upon This Island" (I think)- that is the beginning of the war of 1812. During student teaching I used Morning Girl and Pedros Journal during Thanksgiving time- It is a great comparison of the Native AMerican and European views of the early settlers! I could go on forever- I love Historical Fiction!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2008

Yes, I've already decided to use Morning Girl. If you find the author of Once Upon This Island, would you post it?

I have a big carton of historical fiction at school. I have to go through and plan the year with them, but I think I'll need some more. I think I'll use Pedro's Journey for the early European exploration era.

11. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I've used "Roll of Thunder; Hear My Cry" with seventh graders. We read it outloud in class and had some interesting discussions. I also used "Bronze Bow' with my eighth grade class. The boys enjoyed it more than the girls in the beginning, but by the end of the novel, the girls were enjoying it also. Another favorite of my students was "Watsons Go to Birmingham". It has a lot of humor that the students enjoyed.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2008

Oh yea, I forgot about those. I don't have Bronze Bow. What era? I haven't read Watsons, but I think I have it. What era for that?

13. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Number the Stars

Maybe 4th grade and above.

14. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Jul 6, 2008

Here is the info for Once On This Island (not upon:whistle:)-
    (I just copied this from ebay)
    Author: Gloria Whelan
    Publisher: Harpercollins Childrens Books Publication Year: 1995
    ISBN-10: 0060262486 Age Level: Ages 9 - 12
    ISBN-13: 9780060262488 Subject: Fiction
    Sub-Category: Historical

I think Gloria Whelan has other historical fiction books as well so you may want to google her :2up:

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

I was thinking of doing this book along with my study of Ancient Rome with my sixth graders - do you think they'd like it?

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2008

Thanks, SchoolRocks!

17. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I have used When My Name Was Keoko with 7th grade before studying WWII and the Korean War- my students were on the edge of their seats!

Also, Red Scarf Girl is great for studying the Chinese Revolution- I have used this in 8th and 9th grade.

I love historical fiction- nothing beats it for showing students another perspective in history!

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Love "Soldier's Heart"(Paulsen), very graphic in parts but great character study and outstanding view of the Civil War

Going to try "Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule" this year for Reconstruction. Hope it's as good as reviews say it is.

I liked "Grasshopper Summer" for moving out west after the Civil War.