Hiring season?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MonicaWinter, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Is it safe to assume that if SDs had jobs, they would be posted by now? That, if they are simply posting service jobs or the few teaching jobs...this is all they have? I am confused, because I have heard for YEARS how this district is SO struggling to find teachers...dozen or more vacancies each year...then, when I finally decide to apply, all of a sudden there are no vacancies?!

This is stressful. I give a lot of credit to those who do this for YEARS. I can hang in there because I already have a job, but I was excited that this would be my year...and now I am not so sure.

Also...what are your thoughts on accepting mid-year vacancies?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

Around here, hiring season hasn't even started yet. When I graduated in 2006, it was over by May. Budgets are tighter and they wait until the last minute. The largest district in my county didn't post jobs until mid-August last year.

I accepted a mid-year vacancy last year. The year before, I changed positions when a mid-year vacancy within my school opened. One was a retirement and one was because her husband received a job out of state.

4. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 13, 2014

Yeah, I agree with Giraffe. I'm still fairly new to this (graduated a year ago) but I got a lot more calls for interviews in August than in any other month. It seems like internal candidates are hired first, and then other vacancies are filled by external people. :)

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I only had 2 interviews last summer. A neighboring district that I have been subbing in has been posting and hiring. They closed the application yesterday so no more people could apply. I haven't been called in for an interview :( Trying to keep my hopes up though. I was hired at the last minute last year, 5 days before school began..but that is another story.

I am hoping there will be more hiring at the last minute again this summer. I have sent numerous emails, so we shall see if that will get me anywhere.

6. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 13, 2014

It's driving me crazy! Even last year I had a ton of interviews by now. I hope you're right, I'm starting to lose hope.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

I know I'm looking in a different area, but several jobs went up today.

By this date last year, I had responded to 167 job postings. I know I'm looking in a much more targeted area, but just based on k12jobspot, I'd be no where close to that this year.

For the record- I've applied for 3. One interview so far, one posting ended on Monday, and the other was just put up today. We'll see if I get any interviews. The one I applied to today was where my P at my LTS worked as a P up until this school year. I was offered a LTS by this district, so I'm hoping for an interview.

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 13, 2014

I've applied to 2 full time and 3 part time - no where near what I applied to last year.

I'm still waiting for 2 positions to be posted (one where I student taught, the other where I had a field placement) but seeing as how few postings there have been, the competition will be fierce.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2014

The buzz I've heard is the 16th. Which is Monday. Basically, no one will know what the heck they are doing prior to the 16th, not necessarily that jobs will go crazy on the 16th. This, of course, is just hearsay and speculation :)

I think you have a bit of an advantage with art- that is not a numbers/enrollment position. I could be biting my nails until August. I just don't want to get locked into a contract so far away in case something comes up closer. I am happy because I will not return to K, but will instead move up to 3rd. This allows me to cut down my job search area a bit. I'm not really interested in trading 75 minutes for 45 minutes. I want 30 or less!

10. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

It completely depends on your area. Around here in NY, school is still in session. For NYC, I have had multiple interviews a week the past few weeks, and I was still getting calls about interviews yesterday. School doesn't let out for another two weeks or so, and teachers have until June 30th to retire in the city, so I'm told hiring picks up in the summer.

I will say though that every single interview that I've had with the exception of one were for jobs that were NOT posted anywhere; I sent out my resume directly to principals and they contacted me. Don't rely just on job postings, put yourself out there. Often they fill vacancies before they even post a position, if they ever even do.

11. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

Yup...I got most of my interviews through Applitrack but I had one last year because I randomly emailed the principal with my resume. It was a sucky situation because I really clicked with her and I could tell she wanted to hire me, but I'm pretty sure I lost the position to nepotism. :( still stings when I think about it, ugh.

12. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

I'm just hoping if they are going to post, they don't wait until August. It's an out of state move... Ugh I don't want to have to do that on 2 weeks notice. I have a house here, the market has been in a slump since 1986...so it will be difficult to sell, should I choose to sell it. But every month it sits empty is a month I have to pay for rent and the mortgage payment. (It's just me). I am leaning towards renting...although sometimes it's even hard to find renters here, with the economy...

That particular SD already has my résumé. Maybe I will send it to the others seeking AC candidates in the area, too? I never thought of that...thanks for the idea.

A neighboring SD is hiring now for HS bio, should I apply even if they don't specifically state they take AC candidates? It's neighboring to the of of state district...not here. NO jobs here for anyone (I'm currently in PA!)

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2014

There are over fifty elementary teacher openings in a nearby district and many middle and high school as well. If you are certified in Texas, come apply! My district is set but there are lots still looking.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2014

Things are definitely not over in the Midwest. My small district posted three openings last week, and there are likely to be more to come.

15. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

Monica, I feel your pain! PA is horrible for jobs! I'm there too! What area of PA are you in?? I've seen some secondary science jobs out my way!

16. blake

blake Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

My districts postings are dwindling down. 75% of the jobs for the district were posted back in March. I was hired for my position mid-April. Back then there were probably 30 positions posted (we're a small district with just 10 schools). Now there are just 6, which are considered hard to fill - 2 SPED, 1 Spanish, 2 Science, 1 Math. No elementary positions at all.

17. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I'm in southwestern PA. I'm an AC candidate, so I don't think that would work in PA.

The one job that is available says they will consider AC if no traditional teachers are available, so I might as well apply.

18. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 16, 2014

That's where I'm at too Monica. There are no jobs, and the ones that are available get applied to by like a gazillion people. It's awful. What's AC? Alternative certification? How does that work in PA?

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

In my district they are still moving people around internally. A couple of schools will be loosing a classroom and we did not have a lot of retirements or resignations. I would anticipate more positions opening up as more students register over the summer, but not a lot. Very few teachers were hired last year also.
    It honestly depends on the district, retirements and resignations, and whether the student population is stable, shrinking, or growing.

20. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

All populations are shrinking in the area, LoL...it's been a trend for several generations :)

I am not applying for AC in PA (yes, it's alt certification). I'm applying in West Virginia. Southern WV. If I would get hired in a SD, I would go through an online program to become certified. Because it's such a high needs, isolated area, often the only applicants they have at all are AC. Otherwise, IMO you don't stand much of a chance as an AC.

Did you ever think of moving out of PA for a job?

21. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

An update...they posted a bunch of jobs today. Guess hiring is still going on. Just not the one I'm interested in. Anyone wanna move to southern WV?