Hiring rate! WOW!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sateacher08, Jul 29, 2009.

1. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

At a school district in san antonio check out these hiring numbers.

20,000 applicants
    400 hired

I believe the majority is alternative applicants because sa is big on promoting the alt cert program. The rest are from area colleges.....

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Hopefully that means that the kids are getting the best possible teachers in the SA area!

4. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

20,000 applicants and 400 hired? That's pretty bad numbers for people wanting to teach.

They're either people who were laid off and decided to do teaching as another career, or people who decided to go into teaching even though they weren't fired from their job.

Either way, they're unemployed right now.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

Or there are a dozen local colleges graduating teachers several times a year. That's the situation here.

6. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 29, 2009

We have 3 public universities nearby, 3 private universities. We also have 4-6 alt cert programs sending people into the job market. SA has been a tough market. I don't think they are mostly alt. cert- they are probably people who have been waiting for a while, or people who already have experience.

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

You know I think it's pretty bad how people like myself are lied to about schools needing more teachers. Then we go through the steps to do so and can't find a job.

But colleges and alternative certified programs are there to make money and nothing more.

8. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I'm always very curious about how many people are applying to the same job as me. Right now, when I apply to a special education position (everyone says there is a shortage in Sp. Ed, but there isn't) I have no idea how many people are applying, I'm just curious. And those numbers are interesting.

9. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I totally agree! I am sick of seeing and hearing ads to recruit more teachers and then getting no response to my applications and resumes. Frustrating, to say the least!

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

In the 2008-09 school year for a district not far from San Antonio there were 67 openings. 4700 people applied. That breaks down to less then one percent chance of getting an interview much less a job. I was one of those fortunate to get an interview, but no offer. This year they have had NO openings at the elementary level and only a handful at middle school.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

It's a misconception that's been perpetuated for a very long time...there are relative 'need areas' in education, but they tend to be inner city placements, profound needs sped, some sciences...not necessarily what everyone is looking for. It's always best to do your own research regarding life decisions and not rely on the 'word on the streets'.

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

When I was working in Memphis, the University of Memphis stopped taking people into their elementary education programs (traditional, ACP, etc) because the area was saturated in Memphis.

I am sure this is the minority, but some schools do try to prevent further saturation.

13. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

The 400 hired versus 20,000 applicants is a FACT, stated by the superintendent of the district.... im pretty sure the numbers are similar around the area districts...
    My personal story, it took me 2 years to get hired here in this area AND I had to obtain experience from a district 150 miles away... I have a few certifications as well.....
    Its tough in this area......

14. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I know last year that our little small district had 1 history position open in high school and they received 500 apps just for that 1 position and that was last year. I just saw 3 preK positions pop up at Columbus Public Schools I bet they easily receive 3000 apps for it.

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Every time I see statistics like these I am surprised (and thankful) that I did get hired!

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

I don't think that those statistics are too horrible; a one in 50 chance doesn't seem that bad. Hopefully most people applied to multiple districts with around the same statistics (which I know this year probably isn't the case) and many of the people that didn't receive jobs at this district got them elsewhere.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

My P was telling me at the interview that last year they had 150 positions that needed to be filled. This year they only hired 52 (so far) and had 2200 applicants. We have a major university 30 minutes from us and an ACP program 30 minutes in the other direction. I've been trying to get into this district for 3 yrs and FINALLY got an aide position (which will hopefully turn into a teaching position midyear or next summer).