Hiring Process?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachartk-12, Aug 1, 2015.

1. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

Hi there…I am new here. Been looking for an art teaching position for 1.5 years. I had a demo over a week ago at a school where I did a maternity leave for an art teacher. The demo went well. I got a call from the principal 2 days later that he is recommending me for the position. I would have to meet with HR and work out the contract. He also mentioned the classroom I would have, setting up, periods I would teach. I felt like I had the job minus HR and paperwork. Its been a week now and I have heard nothing back. I am starting to get really nervous that this may fall through ( I have had so many disappointments over the past 1.5 years and gave up another art teaching job which paid less with no benefits for this current job "offer").

Is this normal to wait this long? Getting really anxious here in NY

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2015

I would continue applying and interviewing until you have a signed contract in your hand.

As far as lengthy processes, July is usually a very slow month. I would keep in contact, but it should be OK. It took me over a month to get my contract the last time I switched schools.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 1, 2015

I'm in a similar situation. I have the formal offer from the principal but now it's a matter of signing and paperwork. I'm told it could take a week or so. She told me not to panic, there are many things moving at once it takes sometime and there are many people,having to get through Hr. In my case they have to formally take my name to the board. So at any rate, I think your good. Waiting sucks I know. But it's almost over.

Congrats

5. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

thank you for your replies. I cried with happiness and relief when I got the principal's call. But as time goes on, my thoughts become more nervous and start to doubt. Guess when you have tried for something for so long, and have had so many disappointments, its natural to "protect" yourself with these thoughts…it is a big district. I've heard it has taken 3 weeks in July in the past. I am are August is even slower than July.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I've been waiting for almost five months... Give it more than a week, for sure. It varies from region to region, but I don't think interviewing until you have a signed contract in hand is necessary. I got my offer in March and stopped applying and interviewing immediately. I was told I'd have a long wait before moving forward with the hiring process, and I did. I just heard from HR about beginning the background check, etc. this past week. Still won't have a signed contract until my transcripts and everything come through. Just keep in contact with the principal, if you are concerned. He/she can either contact HR and nudge them to move forward or put your mind at ease by reassuring you that you have the job. Just my opinion, but I think the importance of having a signed contract in hand is highly over-emphasized on this board.

7. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

wow 5 months!! I am an anxious person and I think that wait would put me over the edge. I think everyone here wants that signed contract for peace of mind. Personally, my gut tells me I have the job, but I can't fully relax, plan lessons and prepare without having the 100% certainty that a contract provides. I don't even know salary or anything yet as HR provides that.

I would still interview if there were any jobs left. But being August, most jobs are settled or almost settled for the upcoming year.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2015

It sounds like you have the job to me; I would contact the principal for reassurance. I would tell her just what you told us, that you want to plan lessons and move forward. Just checking on certainty.

9. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 1, 2015

I'm about to be on week three, so I all I can say is be patient.

It really sounds like you do have the job, and unless you're worried about not passing your bg check, then it should be fine.

I tend to agree that once you have verbal offers, you don't necessarily have to continue interviewing. In my region, the principals word is the golden key and HR can't say otherwise otherwise unless background checks come back bad. If you live where HR has more authority, then I would consider still interviewing.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 1, 2015

I've always had to wait a really long time for paperwork- usually a couple of months. However, with school starting soon I imagine it will be faster for you. If you're that worried, I think it's okay to call HR on Monday and ask about the process. When I relocated to my current city, I'd gotten a verbal offer in mid-Spring but hadn't heard from HR for at least a month and I started getting worried. I ended up calling and telling them I needed some type of proof of employment/salary to be able to rent an apartment in the new city (which was true, I just didn't necessarily need it right then). They were able to send my paperwork in a few days, but for me it was even just reassuring having talked them and hearing that everything was definitely in order.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I understand that a signed contract provides a peace of mind, but sometimes it just isn't possible to get that piece of paper as quickly as we'd like to get it... And some people never get one (but still have a job), or they get an at-will one. Keeping in contact with principals and HR is a good way to reassure yourself. For the past five months, while I've been waiting to move forward, I've been in contact with my principal at least once per month. I've been up to the school twice. If you're really worried, I'd even tell your principal that you plan to continue to applying and interviewing until it's official. Maybe that will encourage her to provide you further reassurance. Keep in mind that even having a signed contract isn't a guarantee. It doesn't mean that they can't change your assignment, schedule, building, etc. Just be patient. Can you look up salary info online? All of the public school districts around me publish that information on their websites. I agree that, unless you have something questionable on your record that will show up on your background check, you really don't need to be worried at this point. I don't know when school starts for your area, but we still have over a month here. So no need for HR to be in a rush around here.

12. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

thank you all for your responses. they are truly reassuring. I emailed the principal on Friday to see how the process is going and that I will be away this upcoming week for vacation and that I didn't want to delay the process. I got an email back that he is away on vacation for 2 weeks! ugh but it does sound like this is typical esp. in a big district. I am going to wait until he responds as I don't want to sound as nutty as I truly am!!

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2015

The fact that he is on vacation for two weeks may be some of the reason that you have not heard from him. Relax and enjoy the twp weeks as he is doing. :)

14. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

freaking out more

so it will be 3 weeks tomorrow and I have heard NOTHING. I emailed the principal and I got an automated reply that he is out for 2 weeks. He came back this Monday. I relaxed and gave him time to get back into work flow but today I couldn't take it anymore and called HR to see what is going on…head of HR (the man I am supposed to meet with) is out until next mid week along with his secretary. I emailed the principal AGAIn this afternoon to see what is going on. Still have not heard anything.

Is it possible that the job "recommendation" has been taken away? And if there are problems, why won't they let me know? I gave up one job offer (a lesser one) for this one. I have an interview Monday for a leave replacement. I don't want it but at this point I feel like I need to move on.

Thoughts??

I am really freaking out

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2015

I'd go on the interview, since it's already scheduled and you haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't totally freak out and assume you don't have the other one.

How much time is there before school starts around there? With everyone being on vacation at different times, it could just be that the process is moving slowly. If there are still a few weeks before school starts, it could just be that it is not a priority for them right now. Give the principal a little more time to respond to your email that you sent today. He may have had several filling his inbox while he was on vacation and somehow overlooked the one that you sent a few weeks ago. If you still haven't heard anything from the principal by Monday, I'd go ahead and call him directly to ask. Just explain that you are getting concerned and that you are committed to his school but that you are continuing to go on interviews since you've heard nothing. That is exactly what I did (via email) when I hadn't heard from my new principal... I heard from her the same day and HR the next day.

16. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

teachers report 9/8 and first day of school is 9/9, so there are still 3 weeks. Maybe thats a long time for schools? I have 3 children and freelance work I need to coordinate so for me, 3 weeks is not a lot of time to plan for a new job and possibly leaving old ones!!

That is exactly what I did (via email) when I hadn't heard from my new principal... I heard from her the same day and HR the next day.[/QUOTE]

how did it work out for you? and how long did you wait with no word?

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2015

I was offered the job March 12, but I was told nothing would go through HR until July 1. So we kept in touch, and I waited patiently. When I hadn't heard from HR by the last week of July, I emailed my principal, like I mentioned in my previous post. She wrote back the same day that she was 100% certain about having me, and HR sent me the next steps email the following day. I went to the HR office this past Monday and was officially cleared to start working. That was exactly three weeks before teachers officially report.

It's getting close, but you still have enough time that I wouldn't totally freak out yet. I'd still go on the other interview, but I wouldn't really worry until middle of next week, if you've heard nothing from the principal and nothing from HR. Give the HR team time to get back from vacation and the principal time to see and respond to your email, plus get in touch with those HR people, if that is what he needs to do to move forward.

18. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015

Thank you Bella84. I have really been trying to be patient. I know that summer is tough and full of vacations. Your words are reassuring.

19. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Trust me, you got the job.

20. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

I waited 2 weeks and still applied for positions until I got my nomination in my email, just to cover myself. Most of the time it all works out, but definitely keep applying, just incase. You probably got the job :)

21. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

UPDATE!

I signed my contract this past week and it was the easiest process! After not hearing from HR, I emailed them and I got a response that I need to come in. I then did not hear again, so I called TWICE. But once I was in, they had the contract ready and insurance papers ready.

ITS DONE. I'M AN ART TEACHER!! After going back to school at the age of 40, taking almost any art teaching job to get experience, looking for a job for 1.5 years and postponing a career I started 20 years ago (I majored in Art Ed in undergrad but I listened to too many people say "its sooo hard to get an art teaching job").

I DIDN'T LISTEN THIS TIME. It was not easy. I was miserable for years. But I can say now, it has all been worth it. This is my dream job.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2015

Congratulations!

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 29, 2015

:celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 29, 2015

Congrats!